Dishonored 2 to Get New Game +, Custom Difficulty Settings

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Dishonored 2 to Get New Game +, Custom Difficulty Settings

A free update for Dishonored 2 next month will add a New Game + mode and custom difficulty settings.

Aside from a bunch of Dishonored 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168806-Arkane-is-Investigating-Complaints-About-Dishonored-2-PC-Performance] is pretty great, and a faithful recreation of the "play your way" gameplay style introduced in the first game. Players can choose to be a ruthless killer, a stealthy "Batman" style non-lethal ghost, or somewhere in-between. Now, Arkane has just announced a new patch for the game that will add even more customization options for players, in order to help tailor the game to how they want to play it.

In a free update next month, Dishonored 2 will include a New Game + mode and new custom difficulty settings. Most of you should be familiar with "New Game +" - it essentially allows players to carry over their end-game character, with all of their upgrades and items, and "restart" the game over at the beginning. Since Dishonored 2 is a game that lends itself to multiple playthroughs, this is a really cool option.

As for the new "custom difficulty settings," Arkane neglected to offer any further details, but told us more information (including an exact release date) would come in the coming months.

However, in the blog post announcing the patch [https://bethesda.net/en/article/6d1WZlmqe4sUmkQEAo2qSe/dishonored-2-play-your-way], the "no powers" mode was discussed as a big success for players looking for an additional challenge. So, we can assume that these custom difficulty settings will include more options like that. Permadeath? No healing potions? No quick save?

It's nice to see that the game is still being supported post-launch. Let's hope that the recently released beta patch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168856-First-Dishonored-2-PC-Update-Available-in-Beta-with-a-Few-Performance-Fixes] can iron out those PC issues.

Source: Bethesda [https://bethesda.net/en/article/6d1WZlmqe4sUmkQEAo2qSe/dishonored-2-play-your-way]

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
Nice! I just got this a couple days ago and attempting a complete non-lethal, stealth Corvo playthrough.

Having a NG+ option's definitely the right motivation for me to try out the other play styles.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
So, are Bethesda planning on fixin... lol, I tried my best to get through that question, but I just couldn't make it.

Sinister Minister

May 20, 2009
008Zulu said:
So, are Bethesda planning on fixin... lol, I tried my best to get through that question, but I just couldn't make it.
So, are you people purposely saying Bethesda, or do all of you just conveniently forget that Bethesda didn't develop the game...

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I am very, very happy about this.

As for the custom difficulty settings, I hope it's more nuanced than simple "Turn off things" like health potions and quicksaves. Like editing the time it takes for guards to give up searching, maybe turn off open-door detection. I won't do that but it'd still be neat, just little things like that.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
It's about damn time! I have long been wondering why so no one's picked up the ball tossed by Red Baron and Freespace in allowing ludicrously fine-tuned difficulty levels. The closest we've come in the last decade and change is Mount & Blade! Sure it's more work, but if you've already programmed the differences for the existing levels, and it can easily throw balance to hell, but you can easily put in a warning about that. I suppose everyone relies on modders these days, but where does that leave the console players?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Sinister Minister said:
So, are you people purposely saying Bethesda, or do all of you just conveniently forget that Bethesda didn't develop the game...
Enhance your calm, it was a joke.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Sinister Minister said:
008Zulu said:
Joke or not, Bethesda could easily tell them to not bother with fixing it, since fixing complicated issues costs money, and we all know what big corporations hate more than anything: Spending money on things that doesn't seem to bring any profit!

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
Sinister Minister said:
008Zulu said:
And don't forget it was Bethesda's decision in the first place to not want to spend money on licensing engines anymore so whereas the first game ran well on Unreal 3, they stuck the developers with modifying the very flawed IdTech 5, which has almost always had PC technical issues for every game.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
008Zulu said:
1. It's Arkane Studios.
2. The patch that already exists and it's in beta [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168856-First-Dishonored-2-PC-Update-Available-in-Beta-with-a-Few-Performance-Fixes] is reported to fix a some of the performance issues. It's supposed to be out this week.