Dishonored Enters "The Mind of Madness"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dishonored Enters "The Mind of Madness"

It's time for your morning dose of happiness, courtesy of The Tales From Dunwall.

Remember when the neo-Victorian Steampunk paradise of Dunwall looked like a really cool place? Neither do I. Now when I think of Dunwall, I think of a filthy, crumbling hellhole, rotten with disease, vermin and the cruelty of men, where people die pointlessly, horrifically and alone.

The good news is that nobody appears to die in "In the Mind of Madness," the third and mercifully final episode of The Tales From Dunwall. That's not to say it's a happy ending by any stretch, and in fact the central character, Piero, is a haunted man teetering on the brink of madness, who finds redemption only as an instrument of Death itself. But at least there are no small, abandoned children, shivering into eternal blackness as blood weeps from their eyes. (Except for the one he keeps dreaming about, that is.)

The world is set and the mask is ready. All that remains is for Dishonored [http://www.amazon.com/Dishonored-Xbox-360/dp/B005C2D2MO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348762825&sr=8-1&keywords=Dishonored] to live up to the hype. October 9 is when we find out.

Mrkowi

May 5, 2012
Is it just me, or The Tales From Dunwall are origins of main character's equipment ?

Roseburrow brought technology and later weapons, outlander brought magick, and Piero made the mask.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Dishonored really seems to be spending a disproportionate amount of money advertising on The Escapist. Ever since it was announced, the site has been all over it.

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
Absolutionis said:
Dishonored really seems to be spending a disproportionate amount of money advertising on The Escapist. Ever since it was announced, the site has been all over it.
Dishonored is everywhere. Bethesda has the money to spare on ubiquitous advertising.

Why do I get the feeling the Outsider was behind all of this, not just the kid? He gave Dunwall power, he started the Weeping Plague, and he made the death's head mask that Corvo will wear. What the hell is he it up to? I hope the game gives some answers on that front.

With an atmosphere like this, I cannot wait to see the story the game will tell. Looking forward to it immensely.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.
After these videos, who's to say that watching the world burn isn't something logical?

I've got to say, While their games are amazing, the PR and ad departments that Bethesda uses know what the fuck they're doing. I still get shudders from the big Skyrim reveal trailer that portrayed the "epic" style of the game. Fallout 3's opening cinematic (the radio one) sets the cartoonish and bleak tones of the game perfectly. If these nightmare-inducing cartoons of Dunwall's past are any indication of the atmosphere of the game, I'm already sold.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Absolutionis said:
Are you suggesting that we're getting paid to promote the game?

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Absolutionis said:
Point taken especially considering the advertisements.

It's just that every two days or so, there's a new video for Dishonored that provides a minor bit of storyline/gameplay information on a game that has nothing going for it beyond "Bethesda".

On the contrary, it's good that there are new IPs coming out and have the same coverage that the triple-A sequels tend to get.

In short, pardon my knee-jerk inflammatory remark.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Absolutionis said:
That's probably a bit unfair, although it is technically true. I mean, you do get advertising from them. That said, most of it's been in the last three to five months, and I've been aware of this game for at least three years.

I think the issue is that Bethesda knows how to drum up "free media" really well (these little shorts being a good example of that; not stunts or naked advertising, but ways of luring in people in ways that are unconventional within the medium) and the generally positive response by gaming journalists gives the impression of a slant in coverage, even if has nothing to do with the game directly.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Only 2 more weeks. If only I could build a time machine. Go forward to release date and then come back with the game... hmmm if I do succeed to build a time machine I would travel back to about 5 seconds from now.

... Guess I failed. "Scratches one day off the chart" 13 more days to go.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
I think of a filthy, crumbling hellhole, rotten with disease, vermin and the cruelty of men, where people die pointlessly, horrifically and alone.
I am Dunwall and I find this offensive.

<_<

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Absolutionis said:
It's just that every two days or so, there's a new video for Dishonored that provides a minor bit of storyline/gameplay information on a game that has nothing going for it beyond "Bethesda".
yeah because arkane have done nothing worth of note, ever

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Absolutionis said:
on a game that has nothing going for it beyond "Bethesda".
Bear in mind, this is being made by Arkane Studios, the same people who made Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah: Of Might and Kicking.

Not to mention, the dev team is comprised of people who worked on Deus Ex, System Shock 2, and Thief.

So I'm more than a little hopeful.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
I'm liking the look of the game so far. I like the environments, I like the open-worldy aspect, I like the character design, enemy design, music, etc. I even like the commitment to tone and how dark it is and yet....

The last few ads have actually made me wonder if the game might be too dark for its own good. Everyone is terrible, death is everywhere, and the kills and weapons are unusually brutal. Here's hoping it isn't all a huge depressing slog.

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
My knee-jerk reaction was pretty blech. Just looked like a generic, gritty, dark hack n' slasher. Then looking through the development I saw that artwork, atmosphere, immersion, etc. were pivotal in its creation. Almost gives ya that comic book steampunk feel. The stealth genre has a looooooong and storied history but I'll be damned if Bethesda isn't good at making pretty wrapping for the ramen noodles. Parts of the game are bound to feel all too familiar but the teleporting should mix it up a bit.

Whodat

Jul 14, 2009
I've been waiting for Arkane to put out a game with a similar combat engine to Dark Messiah. The immersion and force of the combat was astounding, and, hopefully, Dishonored will take that and mold it into something good.

The story looks super dark and depressing, while staying very grounded and realistic. I just can't freaking wait for this game. I have very, very high hopes for this, and it might de-throne S.T.A.L.K.E.R: SoC as my favorite game.