Dishonored Review

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
"Loyalists" are your benefactors, eh? Too bad the game forces you into a perspective in which you strive for birthright as being the defining attribute of just leadership.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Anoni Mus said:
Sorry, but a game with really outdated visuals (not that I mind those) and some gameplay flaws does not deserve a 10/10.

For example, changing weapons is complicated unless you click the wheel button, but changing fast by scrolling is hard.. There should be an option to map some powers that you use frequently. It makes no sense the heart and the teleport trick (and others) are in the same place as weapons.

This said, I'm still enjoying it very much. This is coming from someone who cannot get into new games easily and has dropped many games this year. Shitty Mass Effect 3, shitty Skyrim (but those are Rpg's, which I dislike by nature), shitty Max Payne 3, shitty AC:Revelations.
You can assign weapons to the d-pad, which makes switching between them fast and simple. So, there is an option to map powers that you use frequently. And though you may personally find it nonsensical to have powers and weapons in the same wheel, that's a matter of taste, not a design flaw.

charge52

Apr 29, 2012
Combine Rustler said:
Yeh. Good game. Little shorter than could be, but then I was reminded of how similar the mission system is to the Hitman and Splinter Cell games, and how much more there is to do than in those, so I was happy again.
But I have a problem with one of the passive abilities available. Shadowkill. If you stab someone from behind, you also disintegrate them completely. On second level, you disintegrate everyone you kill, no matter how you did. But they still count towards chaos. Chaos increases when you're extra-violent, leaving bodies around. Means the city guard will get rather twitchy and the rats will increase in number thanks to the extra food. But with Shadowkill, there aren't any bodies to be found (they are reduced to nothing), so there shouldn't be any extra plague rats, and nobody should be the wiser that someone killed someone. Said people just up and disappear. The Outsider himself could've eaten them for all the people now. But the game still reacts to you killing people with Shadowkill as if you just normally did.
I know that there's only so much the developers can take into account, but the fact that this ability's use does not make any difference on the world leaves me a bit 45-degree-angle-faced.
The whole point of that skill is just to make it so no one will find a corpse and get alerted. They will still notice that they're men are just gone, and would still want more guards to try and figure out what the fuck is going on. If in real life the majority of a mansion just disappeared, and there was no evidence of where they are, you can damn well bet that there would be more guards.

kyuzo3567

Jan 31, 2011
Anoni Mus said:
Sorry, but a game with really outdated visuals (not that I mind those) and some gameplay flaws does not deserve a 10/10.

For example, changing weapons is complicated unless you click the wheel button, but changing fast by scrolling is hard.. There should be an option to map some powers that you use frequently. It makes no sense the heart and the teleport trick (and others) are in the same place as weapons.

This said, I'm still enjoying it very much. This is coming from someone who cannot get into new games easily and has dropped many games this year. Shitty Mass Effect 3, shitty Skyrim (but those are Rpg's, which I dislike by nature), shitty Max Payne 3, shitty AC:Revelations.
There is an option to map powers, on consoles the D-pad can be mapped with 4 powers/weapons (I'm stealthing the first playthrough so I have 3 powers and sleep darts linked) and on the computer you can map 1-0 with things as well

Edit: Posted this then noticed Susan responded to you already

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
charge52 said:
Combine Rustler said:
Yeh. Good game. Little shorter than could be, but then I was reminded of how similar the mission system is to the Hitman and Splinter Cell games, and how much more there is to do than in those, so I was happy again.
But I have a problem with one of the passive abilities available. Shadowkill. If you stab someone from behind, you also disintegrate them completely. On second level, you disintegrate everyone you kill, no matter how you did. But they still count towards chaos. Chaos increases when you're extra-violent, leaving bodies around. Means the city guard will get rather twitchy and the rats will increase in number thanks to the extra food. But with Shadowkill, there aren't any bodies to be found (they are reduced to nothing), so there shouldn't be any extra plague rats, and nobody should be the wiser that someone killed someone. Said people just up and disappear. The Outsider himself could've eaten them for all the people now. But the game still reacts to you killing people with Shadowkill as if you just normally did.
I know that there's only so much the developers can take into account, but the fact that this ability's use does not make any difference on the world leaves me a bit 45-degree-angle-faced.
The whole point of that skill is just to make it so no one will find a corpse and get alerted. They will still notice that they're men are just gone, and would still want more guards to try and figure out what the fuck is going on. If in real life the majority of a mansion just disappeared, and there was no evidence of where they are, you can damn well bet that there would be more guards.

Doesn't that same logic apply though if half your guard ends up waking up in a dumpster or precariously perched on the ledge of a roof with tranq darts sticking out of their chests, with the person they were guarding dead or missing? But that doesn't increase your chaos any...

kyoodle said:
I look forward to the Wall Street Journals review:

'As a $60 FPS this game really should be worth $60 by including online play. Call of Duty has an online mode, but Dishonored does not have an online mode. Maybe it would be worth $30 (which is less than $60)but for a game, in 2012) a rich social media experience would be necessary for testosterone fueled 18-35 male demographics.

Halo 4 is also an online.

8/10'

Then they can sit back and watch the Pulitzers fly in.

Great review Susan looking forward to when this comes out in the UK!

Hate to disappoint you, but I think their review was actually decent for this game:
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/10/10/dishonored-is-a-whale-of-a-game/

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Huh. Hadn't even heard of this before now. How have I missed this? Crap, I guess the season of titles is upon is, isn't it? I may need to try and find another job to support my gaming habit.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
Judging from that review this game did everything right! Don't really want to add another game to my backlog, but I might Redbox it soon.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I've tried to hide bodies in dumpsters,bushes or in dark shadowy areas or even on ceilings or bookcases.And yet at the end of the mission I still had 8 bodies detected.

Should I just get the shadow kill power and outright stealth kill the guards instead? How big will that affect my chaos rating.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
DarkhoIlow said:
I've tried to hide bodies in dumpsters,bushes or in dark shadowy areas or even on ceilings or bookcases.And yet at the end of the mission I still had 8 bodies detected.

Should I just get the shadow kill power and outright stealth kill the guards instead? How big will that affect my chaos rating.
Not sure what you did wrong, but my most recent mission I got only one body detected and it was a legitimate detection ( I saw who saw it) so it is possible to do.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
ccdohl said:
erttheking said:
Didn't read the full review (What? It said it had spoilers) but...damn, five out of five?...when was the last time a game that a review that good on this website...ok, now I am REALLY looking forward to tuesday.
Dragon Age 2.

But yea, why on earth would you put spoilers in a review? That makes like, zero sense.
The spoiler in question is the basic set up of the plot, which is something I always include in reviews. If you already know why your character is dishonored - a plot point that was revealed in several different pre-launch trailers - then the review has no spoilers. If, however, you don't know any of that, I'd rather let you experience it as it happens in the beginning of the game.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
When I first saw trailers for this game I was totally unimpressed. It looked like a more steam punk version of Bioshock.

Then I saw the game play previews. The same mission done with stealth, and without. The one without stealth looked fun, but ho-my-gawd the stealth game play video nearly made me drool.

Since that video this has been my most anticipated game of the year.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
MDSnowman said:
When I first saw trailers for this game I was totally unimpressed. It looked like a more steam punk version of Bioshock.

Then I saw the game play previews. The same mission done with stealth, and without. The one without stealth looked fun, but ho-my-gawd the stealth game play video nearly made me drool.

Since that video this has been my most anticipated game of the year.
You won't be disappointed :)

According to Steam I have 12 hours played so far (minus about 1 hour where I went back to old missions and just dicked around for fun) and I'm only on the 4th mission of apparently 9. Trying to go as nonlethal as I can and so far I'm absolutely loving this game. The amount of options you have is staggering and the level design is really, really good (although it'd be nice to have more nonlethal options than just sleep darts and choking...)

Just dont go straight to objectives (in fact, I'd recommend turning the objective and heart displays off completely) and you can spend a lot of time on this game in each mission, finding everything there is to offer.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
bjj hero said:
Susan Arendt said:
Dishonored Review

Absolutely killer.

Read Full Article
Hi Susan,

This seems like a game I can thoroughly enjoy, I have a question though. How "buggy" is the game? I hear alarm bells whenever I read Bethesda.

What system did you play it on and did you notice much going wrong?
Bethesda is the publisher, not the developer. Arkane Studios is the developer.

shadowslayer81 said:
I've been hearing some things about the length of the game itself, Susan any sort of opinion before the inevitable fallout comes?

Like I've heard people have been beating the game in 4 hours.
Bullshit. It might be possible to beat the game in 4 hours if you've played it before, if you try to get to your target as fast as possible if you skip through all the cutscenes, if if if. Anyone actually playing the game to enjoy it will be spending about 20 hours with it, easily.
That's pretty much what I've heard from other reviewers. You CAN rush through the game but you'd be doing yourself a disservice. These missions also seem to have much more replaying in mind than other stealth games I have. For eg, I've never heard of assassination targets getting randomly reassigned routes and locations. Should help keep the playthroughs fresh along with the range of options you've got.

Stomperchomper

Mar 13, 2012
I'll be getting this once I get a better computer, mine doesn't quite make the minimum requirements. And once I do get this game, I will undoubtedly play it as an Eversor Assassin.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Norix596 said:
Susan Arendt said:
bjj hero said:
Susan Arendt said:
Dishonored Review

Absolutely killer.

Read Full Article
Hi Susan,

This seems like a game I can thoroughly enjoy, I have a question though. How "buggy" is the game? I hear alarm bells whenever I read Bethesda.

What system did you play it on and did you notice much going wrong?
Bethesda is the publisher, not the developer. Arkane Studios is the developer.

shadowslayer81 said:
I've been hearing some things about the length of the game itself, Susan any sort of opinion before the inevitable fallout comes?

Like I've heard people have been beating the game in 4 hours.
Bullshit. It might be possible to beat the game in 4 hours if you've played it before, if you try to get to your target as fast as possible if you skip through all the cutscenes, if if if. Anyone actually playing the game to enjoy it will be spending about 20 hours with it, easily.
That's pretty much what I've heard from other reviewers. You CAN rush through the game but you'd be doing yourself a disservice. These missions also seem to have much more replaying in mind than other stealth games I have. For eg, I've never heard of assassination targets getting randomly reassigned routes and locations. Should help keep the playthroughs fresh along with the range of options you've got.
YEah, the assassination targets in at least some of the missions (im not sure if all are, but I haven't even beat the game yet) are randomized.

Also, the placement and number of rats, guards, and weepers is different depending on whether you have a high or low chaos rating.