Dishonored Wins Best Game at BAFTAs

Nihlus2

Feb 8, 2011
One part of me is mildly amused at a lot of the nominees... but nevertheless I am also happy to see Dishonored, Journey and Walking Dead getting credit where credit is due! (...Also XCOM, although that's more of a love/hate relationship... buggy piece of-).

This seems almost... too right...

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
...still no Spec Ops. For craps sake, guys. The Walking Dead, XCOM and Journey are great, but... still no Spec Ops?!

Rituro

Critwrencha
Sep 18, 2008
I'm amazed XCOM won a BAFTA over FM13. That right there tells you how well XCOM was received (or, alternatively, how poor this year's FM13 was at launch).

RealRed05

Feb 22, 2013
Dishonored won Game of the Year, XCOM won best strategy game. And yet people only played one or the other because they were released on the same day.

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
Holy crap a GOTY award that I actually agree with! I don't think this has ever happened before. Congrats Arkane.

And it looks like ME3 didn't win a single thing. Brilliant.

Mcoffey said:
I wish I had enjoyed Dishonored as much as everyone else seemed to. It was just so damn boring. Just a dull, lifeless world with nothing and no one interesting in it.
Isn't it annoying when that happens? I don't agree with you on Dishonored but I do know how you feel. I'm still trying to figure out WTF was so great, or even just good, about Bioshock. I fired it up again just the other day. I do that once in a while to see if maybe this time I will see the light. Nope! I just fell asleep on the keyboard again.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
RealRed05 said:
Dishonored won Game of the Year, XCOM won best strategy game. And yet people only played one or the other because they were released on the same day.
Umm what? Because games are only available on launch day and not at all afterwards. It's not like I picked up both in a Christmas sale.. Sorry, I'm not sure what you're driving at?

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
maninahat said:
I suspect it was some hand wringing in the back ground. They probably threw a few perfunctory nominations in there to name drop some of the more popular titles and not seem too highbrow/elitist. I don't think they had any intention of letting those not-so-strategic strategy games actually win. Same with COD:BLOPS2 for innovation.

As for OT: I'm pleased with the winners, and there is nothing at all contentious about them. The BAFTAs certainly aren't the VGAs, that's for sure.
While Black Ops II did have some innovation its no more then any Call of Duty games does. Not to say that they dont they do change a lot they but the core mechanic is always the same.

I am curious though if you were being sarcastic with your on topic post. It seemed to more that half of those awards were given out to pander to the indie crowd rather then give them to games that should have won in those categories.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
the winners i can get behing except for journey, i just didnt like it.

But call of duty in innovation and football game in strategy, just what the hell?

still, its better than other awards we get.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Little Gray said:
maninahat said:
snip

I am curious though if you were being sarcastic with your on topic post. It seemed to more that half of those awards were given out to pander to the indie crowd rather then give them to games that should have won in those categories.
No sarcasm. Journey genuinely deserves to have all those awards, and Walking Dead hands down had the best story and writing of this year. My only disappointment was that Far Cry 3 or Mass Effect 3 didn't get some kind of award for their characters. I guess that only comes under writing (which handicaps both those games). Basically, I felt that this year, the indie titles outshone the AAA stuff in most areas - so did most "Game of the Year" lists, which typically placed Journey and Walking Dead above all else.

Even if the BAFTAs were trying to pander to the indie crowd, that's still better than the VGA's pandering to mass market appeal or the studios themselves.