Dishonored's Ending Shifts With Your Play Style

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
Dishonored's Ending Shifts With Your Play Style

Dishonored's E3 walkthroughs show the pros and cons of using stealth.

Dishonored developer Arkane Studios has released two gameplay walkthroughs originally shown at E3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/9698-E3-Preview-Dishonored], giving players a direct look into the different approaches they can take when neutralizing their targets in the steampunk magical assassination game. The two videos specifically contrast the stealthy approach against the run-and-gun solution, with each tactic applied to the same mission of assassinating two corrupt politicians in a gaudy bathhouse named The Golden Cat.

The most apparent difference between the two approaches is how much longer the stealthy assassination takes - it's over three times as long as the more direct, violent playthrough, which clocks in at about four minutes. A ten minute difference for just one mission may not seem like much, but since the fastest possible run through the full campaign is about 12 to 14 hours, it's sure to add up. Co-creative director Raphael Colantonio points out during the more violent playthrough below that the game keeps track of your playstyle and will adjust accordingly, including the ending. Furthermore, a violent playstyle is more taxing on your mana and health, requiring more careful management of restoring potions. On the other hand, you can swarm your enemies with angry rats at will.

If you decide to instead go with stealth, there are a few powers and gameplay mechanics to help you along. Blink is a short-distance teleportation power that co-creative director Harvey Smith uses frequently in the above stealth playthrough. He also points out how helpful eavesdropping can be, including updating the waypoints for your targets on the HUD. And although Smith does actually kill the targets in the stealthy playthrough, he asserts that players can play the entire game without killing a single target - in this case, they can complete a sidequest to send the two targets off to work in their own slave mines.

Regardless of how you play Dishonored, you'll probably find something the developers didn't anticipate. Both Colantonio and Smith highlight a couple of tricks invented by players in their respective playthroughs. In Smith's case, players were able to save themselves from a lethal freefall by possessing a person midair. Colantonio was similarly impressed by players using Wind Blast to knock foes' projectiles back at them. You'll be able to experiment for yourself when the game hits stores in October 9th.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-28-your-dishonored-death-toll-affects-ending-and-other-little-story-bits]

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I'm very impressed, the more I hear about this game the more I'm looking for to it. I loved the little bit of info on the non-lethal way of eliminating the targets.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
The Artificially Prolonged said:
I'm very impressed, the more I hear about this game the more I'm looking for to it. I loved the little bit of info on the non-lethal way of eliminating the targets.
I am thinking an elephant tranquiliser gun

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
This is the only game I am intrested this year, it looks super cool.
I really love the graphics, very nice style.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
This is the first game of 2012 that I have put on "must buy"... there are other seemingly good games, but I have the most faith in this one living up to my expectations.

Especially now, after this demo.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Well, this hasn't happened in a long time. A trailer has changed my expectations of a game. At first I thought: "drab steampunk Assassin's Creed knockoff in first-person tunnel vision." Now I'm thinking: "oh, wow! Look at all the cool skills and choice and Bioshock-quality art."

greenflash

Jul 13, 2010
Im interested but i think that possession might be a bit overpowered, just from how i have seen it used in the video ie, possessing the target to get them isolated or using it to sneak around really easily.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Oh, yeah, that too. I loved the fact that he said you can go through the entire game without killing anyone. When was the last time that happened? A combat-driven game in which you don't have to kill anyone... Even "Deus Ex: Human Revolution" failed on that front. But here you can choose to be an assassin who doesn't actually do any assassinating. How awesome is that? :)

greenflash said:
Im interested but i think that possession might be a bit overpowered, just from how i have seen it used in the video ie, possessing the target to get them isolated or using it to sneak around really easily.
Yeah, but in a way that's what stealth games are all about; being overpowered. You always have two major advantages over your opponents: shadows and foresight. You can move around and see them without them seeing you and thus you can plan how to dispatch them without them ever knowing. I mean, take games like Thief or Splinter Cell, where all you do is take out guard after guard. But the main difference with most AAA games is that it's not about gunning your way through with sheer determination and hand-eye coordination. It's more about long-term strategy and using your guile.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Farther than stars said:
Oh, yeah, that too. I loved the fact that he said you can go through the entire game without killing anyone. When was the last time that happened? A combat-driven game in which you don't have to kill anyone... Even "Deus Ex: Human Revolution" failed on that front. But here you can choose to be an assassin who doesn't actually do any assassinating. How awesome is that? :)
It only failed in light of the boss battles, but they didn't count as kills, regardless. You were just poorly equipped to handle the shooter style boss fights as far as enhancements were concerned.

OT: I very wary about this game. It's making a lot of promises.. such as ending shifts based on how you play. We'll see though. Every part of my being says I should be looking forward to this like crazy... but I'm not for some reason.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Sweeeeeeet.

My only complaint is that the player seems hopelessly overpowered. It reminds me of the Batman games in that way.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Baresark said:
It only failed in light of the boss battles, but they didn't count as kills, regardless. You were just poorly equipped to handle the shooter style boss fights as far as enhancements were concerned.
Leaving aside the fact that they left you poorly equipped, I still see it as a lapse of morality. I also never listen to morality meters when I have to make a choice within a game, because at the end of the day those are just based on what the designer thought was right at the time and he or she may have been mistaken. It's the same thing with the kill count. Just because some arbitrary system says I didn't do anything wrong, it doesn't necessarily mean that I haven't.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
A.Balthazor said:
What colors are the explosions at the end if you play with stealth, I wonder?
I was wondering how long it would be before the first ME3 ending joke would pop up. I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Farther than stars said:
Well, this hasn't happened in a long time. A trailer has changed my expectations of a game. At first I thought: "drab steampunk Assassin's Creed knockoff in first-person tunnel vision." Now I'm thinking: "oh, wow! Look at all the cool skills and choice and Bioshock-quality art."
This is pretty much how I felt, and then I saw the blink, and then I knew that I needed to buy it.

Reminds me most of DE:HR with a dash of Hitman, and a sprinkle of VtM: Bloodlines, of all things.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Well i was buying this on launch anyway, but now i'm definitely buying this on launch. Preorder from Amazon later kthx XD

It does look like the player is channeling every other overpowered character in video game history.

Darius, prenerf Evelynn, Kassadin and his endless teleports, Ezio, Wesker and much much more!

Pretty sure it'll balance out in the full game... Hopefully. Time to abuse the shit out of the time stop mechanic!

I will have to full stealth this I think. I have to listen to every little piece of dialogue in the game. Probably going to be a repeat of Batman: AA/AC just hiding in the rafters until people stfu.

Just instakilling those guys talking about that one hooker was slightly disturbing to me... Weird. Nothing disturbs me normally. Like one second they're being all jokey and shit then boom were those your intestines? Not anymore!

Nice to see i'm not completely untouchable yet XP

Oh summoning rats then possessing them to escape sounds so fucking broken it's not even funny. Just saiyan.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Wait, does this mean you can kill the targets while controlling a guard?...well I know what I'm doing when I get this.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Huh. Steampunk Magic Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Count me in!

Hm, fairly sure that the player isn't as over-powered as shown in the video. They were abusing health and mana potions like there was no tomorrow - wouldn't surprise me if they had them set to unlimited, ie god-mode.

Oh, and any devs out there? Seriously - do trailers like this more often!!! They really work on a lot of levels.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Bioshock/Deus Ex/Thief combo? Yes please! Nice trailer, nice looking game. Definitely keeping an eye on this one...