Disney Acquires Lucasfilm

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
el_kabong said:
This is awesome and terrible at the same time. I predict fan-boy moaning about how Lucas shouldn't have sold. Then retorts that those same fan-boys wanted Lucas to have his hands off the franchise.
Yep, I foresee massive amounts of hypocrisy to follow.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
On the potential plus side: if Kingdom Hearts 3 ever comes out, I might get to fight Darth Vader in it

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Well, there goes the Expanded Universe.

On one hand, Star Wars 7. On the other hand, what will it be about?

If it is the Thrawn Trilogy, all is forgiven, but since it won't be, I'm terrified.
Hey hey hey, the Yuuzhan Vong saga would be awesome too! Honestly though, I doubt they will do anything that they would have to bring back the original cast for. Because of that, they will probably do something in the future, after the Luke and friends have died, which leaves that movies ripe with possibilities.

OT: Kind of nervous, kind of excited, and very curious. I can't wait to see what the new film series will be about. It honestly could go either way at this point. Very interesting times for the Star Wars universe ahead, I gotta say. :p

Spaghetti

Goes Well With Pesto
Sep 2, 2009
Wow, I've seen some bad April Fools jokes but this take the...
What? It's not April, it's October?

It'll be interesting to see what any future movie will be like without Lucas (directly) tied to it. I'm curious as to how it'll relate to the masses of canon that's out there already.

[sub]So hypnotic...*drool*[/sub]

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
For everyone thinking this may be a good thing, I have two words of caution for you:

Tron: Legacy

Look at how Disney handled the resurrection of one of their own tent-pole sci-fi franchises. I.E. throwing more money than the GDPs of some nations at advertising, marketing, and product franchising; all the while spending little to no effort or attention towards the actual quality of the film project.

Yeah, I don't know. For some reason, I don't foresee good things from this merger/buyout.

I guess you could say: I feel a disturbance...

[sub]Not that Lucas was doing much good with the franchise anyway. But then, I was never really THAT big a fan of Star Wars to begin with.[/sub]

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
I hope this means that they'll actually do something with the loads of classic video games that they aren't doing anything with.

I want to play Grim Fandango, dammit!

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Okay...well, Disney might make the Star Wars movie better. I mean, I didn't mind episodes 1, 2 and 3 that much...but they weren't that awesome compared to the original ones. The sequels. The old ones. Gah!

On the other hand, do we really need Star Wars 7? And I'm guessing there will be Star Wars 8 and 9? With...Luke old and with children and stuff? We all know the story continues after Return of the Jedi, what with Leia still having daddy issues and Luke getting married and stuff. But...I dunno. I'm not feeling it. Seems like overkill.

But time will tell, I guess.

Also, Star Wars with Kingdom Hearts! Come on, I bet Star Wars 7 will come out before KH3 anyway! You got the time! You got the technology! Make it happen!

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
BreakfastMan said:
Soviet Heavy said:

If it is the Thrawn Trilogy, all is forgiven, but since it won't be, I'm terrified.
Hey hey hey, the Yuuzhan Vong saga would be awesome too! Honestly though, I doubt they will do anything that they would have to bring back the original cast for. Because of that, they will probably do something in the future, after the Luke and friends have died, which leaves that movies ripe with possibilities.

OT: Kind of nervous, kind of excited, and very curious. I can't wait to see what the new film series will be about. It honestly could go either way at this point. Very interesting times for the Star Wars universe ahead, I gotta say. :p
Do you really think that DISNEY is going to make a Star Wars film about psychotic, genocidal masochists who look like a cross between The Thing and a fucking Terminator?

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Awesome, I find this to be great news, Lucas was only bringing that company down with him. With Disney, at least they have a much greater chance of actually creating something worthwhile with the franchises then Lucas ever will. Seeing Star Wars movies without Lucas is something I've been wanting for ages now.

Vigormortis said:
For everyone thinking this may be a good thing, I have two words of caution for you:

Tron: Legacy

Look at how Disney handled the resurrection of one of their own tent-pole sci-fi franchises.
I liked what they did with Tron Legacy, it stayed true to what the original started and I see it only getting better. Daft Punk and Tron was a good idea...

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
My recollection (from something I once read somewhere) that Lucas' original intention for Star Wars was that it would be a nine-part series, broken into three trilogies. So this may actually be in keeping with original intent.

And if Disney does indeed pay attention to original intent, then Kathleen Kennedy is someone I would trust to gently take Lucas' hand and explain to him "No George. Just leave it alone. It's fine the way it is," and possibly succeed.

I don't think this is a bad thing, at least not right now. Time and experience may change that, but I don't see a reason to fear yet.

(apart from the fact that mixing SW and Disney immediately brings to mind Mel Brooks as Yogurt expounding on the wonders of "Moichandising!")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjEdWTk1l9o

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
A 4th star wars movie? Wow, thought that series was done after the 3rd movie. Also please make a Knights of the Old Republic 3.

[email protected]

Jun 18, 2012
Suggestions:

Legacy: the adventures of Cade Skywalker against Darth Krayt (I want imperial Knights, dammit). Mark Hamil can return as an elderly Force Ghost (seeing as he died around the age of 140+).

Or the Coruscant Nights saga: The adventures of Jedi Knight Jax Pavan in the first few months of Imperial rule. James Earl Jones is the only returning cast member as Vader's voice.

Or Darth Bane! *squee*

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
BreakfastMan said:
Soviet Heavy said:

On the other hand, who says they have to bring back the original cast? The prequels made do with replacement actors. Ewan McGregor is more Obi Wan in the popular consciousness now than Sir Alec Guiness is.

OT:http://fireden.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/NotSureIfWant.jpg my reaction.

I'm just not sure about this. I guess it could be a good thing, since it may mean Mr. Lucas is theoretically no longer blocking a transfer of the original cuts, and the live action TV series now has a chance of finally coming out as an ABC original series, but on the other hand, what's Star Wars without George Lucas in some sort of conceptual role? I'd be a lot more comfortable with the idea if they said they were bringing on Timothy Zahn. Or heck, Michael Stackpole. I just don't see, say, Joss Whedon getting it right, as much as I love the man's work.

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
Honestly, I can't see how Disney could make Episode 7 any worse than Episodes 1-3. And let's not forget that Disney owns another prominent intellectual property gold mine that they're currently churning out into films: Marvel Comics. So films like Thor, Captain America, and Avengers were all created under the auspices of the mouse.

Of course, they could also throw out crap like Tron: Legacy, but I feel compelled to admit that the first Tron film, despite its moderately rabid fan base, wasn't very good to begin with. It's hard to knock Legacy for being a mediocre film showcasing special effects when it's a sequel to another mediocre film that showcased special effects.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Maybe Disney will tell LucasArts to get back together with Tim Schafer...and while I'm dreaming, I'd like a pony.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
Ne1butme said:
Well, here's hoping that George won't be the director. And since he's not in charge "yes george, what ever you say George" will be heard a lot less on a SW set.
Lucas is being relegated to a "creative consultant". So pretty much where he belongs.

Captcha: "Winning". Why was Charlie Sheen not the answer?

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
BreakfastMan said:
Soviet Heavy said:

Do you really think that DISNEY is going to make a Star Wars film about psychotic, genocidal masochists who look like a cross between The Thing and a fucking Terminator?
Hey, they made a successful film franchise about pirate zombies and horrible abominations of nature who unleash monsters that devour entire ships and get rid of people by enternally imprisioning them underwater, didn't they? What's stopping them from doing this? Besides, a man can dream, can't he?