Disney Announces Novel Twist On Videogame Films

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
"Disney" didn't say anything... he was long gone, his company... however, did... not "Disney" the man, but "Disney" the company... this is the same company that made a hipe on promising something of a "American MC gee" style Mikey game, that came out as less than mediocre wannabe twisty game, and their characters could only shine on a Japanese crafted "ACTION" RPG! so... if anything... they should be all over action game, their revival was all about action games, look, they bought Marvel comics for a reason right?

Serving UpSmiles

Aug 4, 2010
If I wanted a toystory/video game adventure, I'd watch Arby n the Chief, which is what a video game based adventure movie needs to be based on.

Skunktrain

Nov 19, 2009
If they announced that Jonathan Coulton is writing a song for the movie I'd buy a ticket even if I knew it wasn't great.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Why is Disney becoming awesome again?

It was so fun to point and laugh at their inability to do anything right over the last decade. :'(

hipster666

Dec 13, 2009
Pixar & Disney's relationship has not been smooth sailing over the years, especially before their merger, as Pixar had the animation talent and modern sensibilities but not the writing talent of Disney and Disney, well, were Disney and hadn't done anything new in decades. The no-princess thing is just them being scared of Pixar's success and trying to emulate that studio's philosophy.

As someone else pointed out, Tangled was good. Disney make good Disney movies when they take the time to make them and not try to jump on whatever new wave is being made by other studios. Videogames are undoubtedly popular and hit the masses in a way most media outlets would not have guessed five years ago, and this latest band-wagon jumping smacks of that.

I mean, hell, who even plays in an arcade anymore? That alone shows the 80's roots of whoever wrote this trash and you can guarantee it won't have any of the modern sensibilities of modern gaming, ie. anything released since 2000.

Saying that I could see this working. If they picked a modern, gun-toting Duke style action hero with realistic graphics, then something cutesy and cuddly from the platform genre and flesh the characters out with a contrived backstory that the characters REALLY believed in, along the lines of Buzz, then I could see the comedic potential, but the graphic styles of each character would have to be totally different to reflect the genre background and I think it would fail if the characters became too self aware. Heck, even having the arcade as a virtual place, like the XBox and Playstation online arcades/stores would at least keep it relevant. You could even have some hacker interject at some point running off with people's bank statements in a big bag of swag as a tilt to the hat of Sony's recent troubles. :)

It has potential, but I fear Disney will do what they usually do and totally miss the point.

Gamer_152

Mar 3, 2011
In some senses I think Disney might have something here, I absolutely loved Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and that was a video game film not based on a video game, then again that had some very stylish visuals and a very strong story behind it. If done wrong I could really see this concept being utilised to create a skin-crawling pastiche of the weird assortment of tropes that the general public consider video game related, as opposed to a film which not only truly embraces video games but also uses their varied tropes in a clever way. Please don't mess this one up Disney, it has a lot of potential.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Oh, gawd. That synopsis didn't excite me at all. It DOES sound too cliched: Bad guy wants to be good, goes through some trouble, things go south, he redeems himself, everything is fine. There might be a girl involved.
Guess what? It's been done. And recently. It was called Megamind. Or if you prefer: Despicable Me.

I'm not being completely pessimistic. I'm just saying that it doesn't sound like a good plot. It sounds like the kind of movie that parents will watch with their kids over the weekend and then they'll forget about it forever.

Disney, you're good at making movies. Heck, I'll even go as far as saying you make good video game movies. I actually liked Prince of Persia: Great cast (Come on! Jake kinda looked like the prince!), you followed the plot somewhat, action movie easy to follow even for newcomers, not boring at all. It was great! Tron Evolution? Alright, I'll admit that one was a tad bit convoluted but it was alright. I've seen worse. So why not stick to making movies based off REAL video games? If they really wanted to, they could come up with a great movie.

Tangled is living proof. It was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Loved the music, loved the graphics, the characters, the plot, the ending..

Well, I guess I'm being too harsh. I haven't exactly seen a trailer or anything. So I'll wait till then to continue casting my opinion.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Problem is, nobody loves a Bad Guy.
What bizarro universe did you get that notion? Everybody loves a good villain! Hell, Disney has produced several popular antagonists over the years, like Gaston and Maleficent. In video game terms, we also have figures like GLADoS, Sephiroth, and HK-47.

"Nobody loves a Bad Guy" = BULLSHIT!

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Wreck-It Ralph (voice of Reilly) longs to be as beloved as his game's perfect Good Guy, Fix-It Felix (voice of McBrayer). Problem is, nobody loves a Bad Guy. But they do love heroes... so when a modern, first-person shooter game arrives featuring tough-as-nails Sergeant Calhoun (voice of Lynch), Ralph sees it as his ticket to heroism and happiness. He sneaks into the game with a simple plan -- win a medal -- but soon wrecks everything, and accidently unleashes a deadly enemy that threatens every game in the arcade. Ralph's only hope? Vanellope von Schweetz (voice of Silverman), a young troublemaking "glitch" from a candy-coated cart racing game who might just be the one to teach Ralph what it means to be a Good Guy. But will he realize he is good enough to become a hero before it's "Game Over" for the entire arcade?

Damn, that sounds awful... Typical generic crap, anyone?

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
believer258 said:
That plot synopsis sounds like shit. Turd incoming!
News Flash! ALL plot synopsis sound like shit. It's what you do with them that counts. Seriously, take your favorite movie, break the entire plot down to 3 or 4 sentences, and I guarantee it will sound like utter crap.

Moon_Called

Mar 21, 2009
Soooo...
Characters from some computer or another (an arcade game is still a computer, just not a PC) must fight in games in order to save their own computer, often travelling to different games.
Never heard that one before.