Disney Announces The Incredibles 2 and Cars 3

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Disney Announces The Incredibles 2 and Cars 3

Disney will also re-release several other Disney films, such as the first The Incredibles in 3D.

In a company shareholders meeting yesterday, Disney CEO Bob Iger announced that Pixar is producing a third installment of Cars and a sequel to The Incredibles.

The Incredibles earned $631 million in 2004 and won Oscars for Best Animated Feature and Best Sound Editing. In the film, a family of superheroes hide their powers and try to live a normal life. The family, called "The Incredibles," are drawn into a battle with someone from Mr. Incredible's past. The Incredibles director Brad Bird is writing the sequel.

Cars was not as successful as The Incredibles, earning $461 million in 2006. The sequel Cars 2 was a bigger financial hit, earning $560 million in 2011; however, the film was a disappointment with critics. Regardless, the franchise's merchandise, toys, and apparel has sold millions and helped spin off a new franchise called Planes. Cars also has its own theme park, Cars Land.

In addition, Disney will re-release The Incredibles and Ratatouille in 3D similar to how it reformatted Pixar's Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Monsters Inc. and Finding Nemo.

Where Disney and Pixar will take the two franchises is up in the air, but a film focusing on Dash, Violet, and Jack-Jack, the Incredibles children, would be a nice follow-up to the first Incredibles' story focusing on Bob's mid-life crisis and duties as a father. Hopefully we'll catch some more of Bob's friend and partner, Frozone.

No Pixar films will see theatrical releases this year, but 2015 will see new Pixar film, Inside Out, which will take place inside the mind of a young girl, and 2016's Finding Dory will be the sequel to Finding Nemo.

Source: Variety [https://twitter.com/DisneyPixar/statuses/445989767986315264]

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I'm not too excited for Cars 3, but The Incredibles was spiff-diddly-iffing. Yes please!

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
The Incredibles was a legit good action film. And one of the better superhero movies to come out. It was a better fantastic 4 movie than we will probably ever see. I could not care less about cars 3. But if they keep the dark edge from the first Incredibles film it could be up there with Toy Story 2

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
I'll take another crappy Cars film if it means i get a second Incredible. Mind, I Get cars, Kids love it to hell and its basically a 2 hour or so long toy commercial.

As i said, I'm cool with one of the Pixar films being a Cash in if we get films as good as Toy story 3 etc.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
*tears start rolling down face*
I wished and wished, and then wished some more for their to be an Incredibles 2, and it seems as though my wishes have been granted at last.

On the whole Cars 3 thing...well I've them to benefit of the doubt in that they're gonna have to try to make anything worse than Cars 2. Although just a word of advice Pixar, keep the people who did Planes away from the movie...

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I am excited for this! I would have been more excited if they had said "Incredibles 2 and Incredibles 3," but I'm willing to let it slide.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Oooh, I saw a post on Memebase (I think) the other day lamenting about the lack of an Incredibles 2. I'm glad to see it's happening then, at least. I can barely remember the movie since it's such a long time since I've seen any of it, but I recall liking it.

Cars 3, though? Why did that happen faster than Toy Story 3 did?

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Neronium said:
*tears start rolling down face*
I wished and wished, and then wished some more for their to be an Incredibles 2, and it seems as though my wishes have been granted at last.

On the whole Cars 3 thing...well I've them to benefit of the doubt in that they're gonna have to try to make anything worse than Cars 2. Although just a word of advice Pixar, keep the people who did Planes away from the movie...
You know I'm going to actually be that guy who defends the Cars franchise. I think the first one was the best so far. Yeah it might not have as high quality as other Pixar films but it was serviceable and I enjoy it. Seeing Cars 2 I actually thought was kind of funny. Sure the movies only have one joke but I find it amusing. Planes wasn't even done by Pixar. It was done by Disney Toons Studio which is their direct to DVD animation team. Basically the B team at Disney. Over Christmas my cousin and his family came down. His son being obsessed with Planes so naturally I watched it a few times while it was here. Its god awful to us but upon actually giving the film a chance I found that again it is a perfectly serviceable film. It is however much more of a kids film than the usual high quality family film the two studios are known for.

So to assuage your fears if Pixar themselves are making it you won't have to worry about the Planes staff getting near it. I do find it odd that besides Toy Story Pixar really hasn't done a sequel to any of its sequel ready properties...so yeah pretty much The Incredibles. I can't wait for Finding Dory myself as well. Sure Nemo didn't need a sequel but if its as good as the first AND Dory is the main focus I'm game. She is one of the funniest movie characters of all time for me. Mostly thanks to the genius that is Ellen Degeneres. Also The Incredibles will be 10 years old come this November. It took them a decade but they are finally going to do it.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I've been waiting for The Incredibles to get a sequel for ages. Brad Bird said he wouldn't do it until he was totally happy with it, so hopefully it'll be great!

Not bothered about Cars 3 though. I wish they'd got the Pixar guys to make Planes into a better film instead. I love all things airborne, but the film just didn't quite manage to live up to Pixar's usual excellence, though I guess it would be wrong to fault Disney Toon for not being Pixar. A shame, I hope they actually manage to make a decent film out of the Planes idea because it does have potential!

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Welp if those crappy Cars movies bring in so much money (apparently there are more dumb rednecks than I thought) that they can use it to pay for Incredibles 2, I'm all for letting them make as many of them as possible!

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
i am so excited for this! disney in the past two years have been doing really great (pixar .... not much) so im really looking forward to this.

uhhhh yeah... cars 3 was announced too. good... i guess.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Seeing as The Incredibles is my all time favorite Pixar film, I can't wait for a sequel. And Brad Bird is returning? More yay!

Oddly enough though, this article uses the exact same sources as I did in my thread. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.845150-Sequel-to-The-Incredibles-Announced-And-to-a-Lesser-Extent-Cars-3#20822176]

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
It's about freaking time! I can't wait to see Incredibles 2. And hey, since Disney owns Marvel now, maybe they can get away with mentioning some Marvel superheroes? Probably won't happen, but oh well. Finally, is Brad Bird back as director?

Cars 3...meh, I'll take that if it means we get Incredibles 2.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
KazeAizen said:
You know I'm going to actually be that guy who defends the Cars franchise. I think the first one was the best so far. Yeah it might not have as high quality as other Pixar films but it was serviceable and I enjoy it. Seeing Cars 2 I actually thought was kind of funny. Sure the movies only have one joke but I find it amusing. Planes wasn't even done by Pixar. It was done by Disney Toons Studio which is their direct to DVD animation team. Basically the B team at Disney. Over Christmas my cousin and his family came down. His son being obsessed with Planes so naturally I watched it a few times while it was here. Its god awful to us but upon actually giving the film a chance I found that again it is a perfectly serviceable film. It is however much more of a kids film than the usual high quality family film the two studios are known for.
See for me, I don't hate the Cars franchise, it's just that basically Cars 2 pretty much killed a lot of love I had for it. The original came out back when I was in middle school and I loved the movie. Imagine how I felt when my band instructor said that we were going to watch the movie in class because we had gotten the official sheet music for the movie's songs and were going to play them at a competition. I loved the music, and playing it myself made me love the movie even more. Then I heard the announcements for Cars 2 and I was ecstatic. Sure it wasn't the sequel to the Incredibles, but I was excited. I then saw the movie myself, and pretty much everything I loved about Cars was being destroyed in this sequel. Now I didn't except something at the level of Toy Story 3, which had been the last Pixar film I saw in theaters, but I still expected something better than what I got in that theater.

So to assuage your fears if Pixar themselves are making it you won't have to worry about the Planes staff getting near it. I do find it odd that besides Toy Story Pixar really hasn't done a sequel to any of its sequel ready properties...so yeah pretty much The Incredibles. I can't wait for Finding Dory myself as well. Sure Nemo didn't need a sequel but if its as good as the first AND Dory is the main focus I'm game. She is one of the funniest movie characters of all time for me. Mostly thanks to the genius that is Ellen Degeneres. Also The Incredibles will be 10 years old come this November. It took them a decade but they are finally going to do it.
I know the chances are pretty much slim to none for the staff that did Planes to go onto Cars 2, but then I remember that this is Disney we are talking about, and they've meddled with the things they own before. Not to mention that for some odd reason despite how terrible Planes did in the box-office, it's getting a sequel that I believe is also gonna be in theaters as well.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Cars 3.... Cars 3..... .... yeah.....

Incredibles 2? Bring it on! SOMEONE has to make a good Fantastic Four movie in the next few years.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Cars 3? No, just make another stupid tv show or DVD to merchandise the hell out of. Don't tie up Pixar in a complete corporate cash in. Incredibles 2? Hell yes, A ten year gap between one of the best superhero movies and it's sequel is too long. I can only hope for even more Frozone this time.

Now all we need is Newt to come out, but Rio had to get a sequel and put another wait on that one.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Cars was pretty cool, Cars 2 sucked though so I don't really care for Cars 3.
The Incredibles was, well, incredible, so here's hoping they don't mess it up.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Heck yeah! Cars 3! That's super exciting, and I did not see that coming. I can't wait!

Oh and The Incredibles 2 sounds pretty exciting too I guess.
I'm in no way being sarcastic, of course.

byte4554_v1legacy

Feb 23, 2010
The Incredibles 2. The Incredibles 2! THE INCREDIBLES 2! TTHHEEE INNNCCREEDDDDIIIBBLLLEEEEESSS TWOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Seriously, I have not been this happy in fucking months, YEARS, even. Woo! We prayed, and pleaded, and begged, and threatened...and they finally listened!