Disney Cuts Employees and Turok Sequel

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
Disney Cuts Employees and Turok Sequel

A "restructuring" of the Vancouver-based Propaganda Games takes approximately 35 employees and the unannounced sequel to last years Turok revival.

It appears as though we can finally put those clarified [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88098-Why-Disney-Should-Buy-EA] by Disney Interactive Studios, scaling the number down.

Propaganda Games, which was originally formed by ex-EA Games employees (including key members of the NBA Street and Def Jam Vendetta teams), has only released one game to date: last years first-person dinosaur shooter, Turok. While it took a bruising at the hands of critics, the revival did well enough in the marketplace, selling over a million units to date. Prior to the layoffs, Propaganda had two projects underway, one of which was supposably a sequel to Turok, as reported by Kotaku. In its clarification, Disney Interactive noted that no such sequel had ever formally been announced, though they still retain the rights to the property.

Propaganda won't be the only Disney studio feeling the sting of these cutbacks, as Disney also plans to consolidate a few of its studios, including Avalanche Studios and Fall Line, both of which are responsible primarily for its licensed titles. Outside of its video game operations, Disney is planning further cuts to its other businesses, including the ABC and ESPN networks.

KungFuMaster

Aug 14, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
I find it really weird that at this point, Disney are displaying more sense than Sega.
Not when you take a second to remember that Michael Isner isn't in charge anymore.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Finally! Something good comes out of this recession. Turok should have finished a long ol' time ago.

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
No Turok sequel! Gasp. Now i'm just going to play with a slinky instead, oh wait nothing has changed.

Nov 28, 2007
Mr.Pandah said:
I liked the new Turok...=/
Never played the full game, but the impression I got from the demo was a game with decent controls, average graphics, and mediocre voiceacting. That about on the ball?

Raven28256

Sep 18, 2008
thebobmaster said:
Mr.Pandah said:
Never played the full game, but the impression I got from the demo was a game with decent controls, average graphics, and mediocre voiceacting. That about on the ball?
It also featured a host of totally generic sci-fi cliches and your average assortment of sci-fi weapons in a series best remembered for its crazy, original guns.

Frankly, I don't really care. I never bought the full version, merely burrowed it from a friend. The first one managed to take the Turok series and make it into a boring, generic sci-fi shooter.

I think Turok needs to just be put to rest. Like Sonic, its best days are long past. The last good Turok was on the N64.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
thebobmaster said:
Mr.Pandah said:
I thought the graphics were pretty good. Sure the sci-gadgetry was cliched but what isn't nowadays? As for the controls, just like any FPS, the more you play, the more accustomed you get, so I never really point them out unless they are truly terrible. The voiceacting was decent enough to move the story along and as for the story itself, I found it to be enjoyable. Overall, I thought it was a great game...but thats mostly because I'm a dinosaur buff. Lets put it this way, if they just named it something else, it might've been received better, but since they put Turok on the cover, people believed it had to live up to something.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
To put it lightly, Turok sucked major ass. I reviewed the game for the magazine I work at, and the only thing connected to the game I was glad about, the end-credits. I had to play the game, which was a torture. Bad story, bad arsenal, bad AI, bad controls...bah, the only thing going for Turok was the decent graphics, but then again, that didn't last long. Hell, I wanted the gun that sucks out your spinal fluid...