Disney Favorites Become Warrior Princesses in Stunning Fan Art

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Disney Favorites Become Warrior Princesses in Stunning Fan Art

The stars of Frozen, The Little Mermaid, and plenty more Disney classics get some tough love in this gallery of fan art.

Animated Disney characters do their fair share of fighting, but not always in the most sensible attire. Artist and Tumblr user Calvin [http://calvinloveinternet.tumblr.com/tagged/disney] has fixed that problem with some snazzy shots showing what our favorite Disney heroes, heroines, and villains would look like as fierce warriors.

It's hard to pick a favorite in this impressive bunch, but there are definitely a few standouts. Ariel looks amazingly badass, and it's nice that she gets to keep her human legs in warrior form. Snow White and Bambi look like they're ready to ride into battle, and Aladdin's gear is bound to be more protective than his street rat garb. On the villain front, both Ursula and the Queen of Hearts are sporting impressive warrior makeovers, and that's just to name a few.

[gallery=2725]

I'm not sure what inspired this recent trend of "Disney Characters as X" fan art, but I can't be the only one digging it. Keep it coming, internet artists. What's next? Disney staples as Les Mis characters? Disney princesses as 8-bit game icons? The possibilities are endless.

Source: The Mary Sue [http://calvinloveinternet.tumblr.com/tagged/disney]

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
I had no idea Jack Skellington and Peter Pan were princesses. Learn something new every day I guess.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Falterfire said:
I had no idea Jack Skellington and Peter Pan were princesses. Learn something new every day I guess.
Don't forget Jafar, The Beast, and...whoever that very first picture is. Apparently "Princess" got turned into a gender-neutral title when I wasn't paying attention. :p

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Not really a good sign when half your artwork can't be tied to the original by looking at it...[s/]Also, since when are Jack, Pan, Eric and Jafar Princesses?[/s](Joke already overused five posts into this)

softclocks said:
These articles are terrible.

Why do they keep posting this Disney-stuff week after week?
Who knows, I can understand a handful of these a few weeks post and prior a major Disney release...And drawing attention to fanart is great, don't get me wrong, but...alot of the stuff showcased here feels pretty low end comparatively. Unless of course this is simply a "squee"-type moment of posting.

Although,after now going to the link provided, his uncolored/un-backgrounded versions look alot better to me than these provided.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Snow White and Belle were my favourites, although the rapier is the perfect weapon for the dashing Jack Skellington

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
I wonder when "Disney Princesses, buuut..." will stop being newsworthy. Great art, though. I am jelly.

Redflash

Mar 21, 2012
First off, half of these drawings are Disney princes. Now I may be a little chonged, but this entire post kinda feels like the Newsie writing a sham article to plug their friend's art tumblr. Not going to lie, I didn't really find any of the drawings to be particularly 'stunning' in any sense of the word. Fair play to the artist for creating something but if I wanted to look at this kind of stuff I'd be on deviantART.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Alterego-X said:
Stop posting Disney princess fan art.

Start posting pony fan art.
I second the motion. I don't follow the fandom all that closely, but I know it boasts some extremely talented artists:

Don't fret, Disney princess fans. You can find artwork of them as ponies, too!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
*Yawn* Oh this again? Seriously is drawing fanarts of the Disney Princesses outside of their structure is a meme or something?

Jonsbax

May 4, 2010
Redflash said:
First off, half of these drawings are Disney princes. Now I may be a little chonged, but this entire post kinda feels like the Newsie writing a sham article to plug their friend's art tumblr. Not going to lie, I didn't really find any of the drawings to be particularly 'stunning' in any sense of the word. Fair play to the artist for creating something but if I wanted to look at this kind of stuff I'd be on deviantART.
Hate to say it but I'm getting kind of the same vibes. And like someone else said, a lot of these aren't even recognizable. And just what in the hell is with that Queen of Hearts? The Disney original has some great features to have her pose as a seriously intimidating warrior.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I don't know why I'm even posting here, but was it that necessary to write "DISNEY PRINCESSES" in the title just to drive attention to the "article"? I mean "Disney characters" would be a LOT more accurate.

Even more so considering how more than half of these are male, therefore not princesses, and only 4 of the characters could be technically called "princesses".

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I get the feeling you just threw in the female noun "princess" just to garner more clicks. These are CHARACTERS. Only about half of the drawings are of princesses.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I think there was a Cracked article last week talking about how there are too many Disney princesses as (insert theme here) fan art collections on the internet.[footnote]As I was typing this, I just found it. It's called "5 Unsettling Sub-Genres of Fan Art Lurking on the Internet." I'd link to it but I'd rather not subject people to pictures of the Hulk destroying toilets with with gamma induced dumps and fat Harry Potter drawings. Search at your own peril.[/footnote]I disagreed at first, but now I think it was right. How about some Don Bluth or Hanna-Barbera character fan art, to mix it up a little? (I'd also say Dreamworks Animation, but then we'd just get a TON of How to Train your Dragon pictures.)

Fan Art is great, but people dwell too much on fads and sex appeal. I can't search (regrettably in vain) for this cool Metroid poster I saw without having to sift through dozens of pics of Samus in increasingly NSFW attire(through it didn't stop me from saving some of the ones the just bordered on the NSFW line). And how many times has a girl cosplayed in a Dalek or Tardis themed dress or someone made a parody/cover or the Attack on Titan opening? Those things are everywhere. Do something new or obscure, people. Remember, too much of a good thing is a bad thing.

calvinloveinternet

Jun 18, 2014
Okay so just a few quick things. Hi, I'm the original artist of the above drawings. Just wanna say that I had no idea I was featured on here or the Mary Sue so I can assure you that I wasn't being "plugged" here. I also felt the need to respond to some of the very valid comments made.

So first things first I drew almost all of these 3+ years ago. So yes I agree with a lot of the comments here. They don't look like their source counterparts. I did go wild with a lot of design decisions that are terrible. I do realize the "Disney Princesses as X" thing is tiresome (but in my defense it was pretty cool three years ago right?). I would never in my right mind call them "stunning". Hell, I wouldn't even call my drawings now, "stunning". This Disney Re-imagining project was my first foray into digital art, so if it looks like low-end DeviantArt fan art its because it is totally 100% low-end DeviantArt fan art. I had been sketching stuff my whole life and apparently thought this would be a good time to start to learn how to color.

Basically, what I'm trying to say here is yes, I totally agree with what you guys are saying and I guess Im kind of apologizing for the mess I've made three years ago. I never really intended on this project to be seen by a lot of people. I'd like to think I've improved from this but that might be stretching it. I'm just a guy who draws for his hobby.

But thanks for everyone's input and if you have any questions or want to yell at me for my poor design choices (I totally regret that Queen of Hearts (among other things). If I could take it back I would) just lemme know!