Disney Hands Star Wars: Episode VII to the Writer of Toy Story 3

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
TimeLord said:
So still no news about when this will be set? i.e. pre-ep1 or post-ep6?

Also I liked Ep1 a lot, just saying... snarky subtitle and all.
it has been said Mark Hamil and Carry Fisher may be on board so most likely after return of the jedi

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
"producing a script as good as Episode One's"

For the love of the Gods, tell me you don't mean Phantom Menace here.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Doom972 said:
Couldn't they get someone with Action/Science Fiction/Fantasy experience? Toy Story 3 was fine, but it's hardly the tone I expect from a good Star Wars film. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about it, but this kind of news doesn't help.
Wouldn't be the first time someone from a completely different direction starts to expand his field of work with surprising results. For example, David Fincher and lately Skyfall.
wolf thing said:
TimeLord said:

it has been said Mark Hamil and Carry Fisher may be on board so most likely after return of the jedi
That makes me wonder whether they're going to film the Thrawn Trilogy

[HEADING=2]Good gods let it be so!![/HEADING]

I mean, competent Stormtroopers? Amazing spacebattles? One of the coolest Star Wars villains (yes, including Darth Vader) ever? Hell yes!

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
TimeLord said:

By the numbering I think we can guess that it will be set after Return of the Jedi.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Azure Knight-Zeo said:
I'm slightly more optimistic about Episode VII now, but I'm still not sold on it yet.

TimeLord said:
I liked too, it may be because I was still just a kid when it came out, but I don't see it as the movie equivilent of the anti-christ that most nerds make it out to be.
Episode 1 has Liam Neeson in it, which is more than the other two prequels can claim.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Cowabungaa said:
Doom972 said:
Couldn't they get someone with Action/Science Fiction/Fantasy experience? Toy Story 3 was fine, but it's hardly the tone I expect from a good Star Wars film. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about it, but this kind of news doesn't help.
Wouldn't be the first time someone from a completely different direction starts to expand his field of work with surprising results. For example, David Fincher and lately Skyfall.
wolf thing said:
TimeLord said:

That makes me wonder whether they're going to film the Thrawn Trilogy

[HEADING=2]Good gods let it be so!![/HEADING]

I mean, competent Stormtroopers? Amazing spacebattles? One of the coolest Star Wars villains (yes, including Darth Vader) ever? Hell yes!
I like the idea... a lot. But they're gonna have to find a way to work around the fact that it's been nearly 30 years since RotJ, but the Thrawn Trilogy takes place only 5 years after. Hamill, Ford, Fisher... they are all quite quite older, and it's gonna look weird to have Skywalker in his 60's hooking up with Mara Jade.

They're gonna have to retcon the story somehow to make things start a little later, and not everything could happen exactly like the novels.

Aug 1, 2010
[h1/]waitwut[/HEADING]

First they buy it and now they want to put THIS guy on it???

I mean, he's a good writer and all, but how is Star Wars anywhere near what he has done in the past?

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
I... I can feel... this weird emotion... is this what people call... optimism?

No... it can't be.... not after the prequels... but what if...

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
MrDeckard said:
[h1/]waitwut[/HEADING]

First they buy it and now they want to put THIS guy on it???

I mean, he's a good writer and all, but how is Star Wars anywhere near what he has done in the past?
That is what I was going to say. Though, at least he has written for movies. Not the same type, but at least on movies.

Awhile back I heard that one of my favorite fantasy book series, The Lost Years of Merlin by T.A. Barron, was going to be made into a television movie series. The thing is though, who's writing the screen play you might ask? Somebody that has actually written fictional screen plays?

Nope. Some nut job somewhere thought it was perfect to hire the proofreader/editor of the Oprah show. THE OPRAH SHOW!?!?!
I have not found anything on the guy that tells me he has worked well with such writing, and that of course worries me.

The guy better be some sleeper writing savant or I'm going to have to ring some necks.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I don't think anyone seems all that worried that they had to assign the job to someone. I mean, it's slightly concerning to me that they didn't just have a bunch of writers volunteering for the job, that they just had to say "hey, you're not doing anything. Write the next Star Wars." Hopefully, that's not how it happened, but it's just the image that comes to mind for me.

Denizen

Jan 29, 2010
Mike Kayatta said:
Academy Award winner Michael Arndt has been given the impossible task of producing a script as good as Episode One's.
A weekend's time on a legal pad should do the job just fine.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Eh, if he's a good writer... though I still wonder who the movie will be geared towards...

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Now at last the masks had fallen away. The strings of the puppets had become visible, and the hands of the prime mover exposed. Most ironic of all, was the last gift that Lucas' departure had given me: more powerful then Disney which now held their rights. More Accute even then the knowledge of one able to discern the insanity of the expanded universe. The first bitter taste of that terrible illusion...hope.

On a more serious note, if you are making a movie set after the sixth movie. Maybe you should create one about this guy:

Just Saying...maybe it's time to give him a movie.

crepesack

May 20, 2008
Hasn't most material already been covered in books and such? I wonder how and if they are going to try to keep canon or if they'll retcon everything to fit their script.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
He did Little Miss Sunshine? Awesome. I'm interested. Love that movie.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Jack_in_theGreen said:
At last a good writer steps into the series... :p

The big issue for me is: WHICH GENERATION will the new movies be targetted to?
THE 10 year olds...? soooo Disney can sell also MORE "happy meals" with its merchandise?

Or we can expect "some" level of maturity in the stories and character development? (So we old-timers are not left out for a change?)
Its possible for both. See... well most things by Pixar, and some 90's cartoons like Recess, which is surprisingly good if you go back and watch it as an adult.

toms

Oct 23, 2008
I don't see why people are worried, making a good Star Wars movie is simple.

Step 1: Keep George Lucas the fuck away from the movie.
Step 2: Rake in the cash and the praise from fans.

Triality

May 9, 2011
Anybody would be a step up from George Lucas.

Honestly, Disney knows how to handle talent. Toy Story 3 was the deepest and most introspective of all of Pixar's works. The man knows how to tell stories. This can only be a good thing.