Disney Hands Star Wars: Episode VII to the Writer of Toy Story 3

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I'm actually kinda optimistic about this. Partly because they can't fuck it up much more and because I wouldn't really care if it turned out to be bad. I've stopped caring much for the franchise since Lucas started to go one his crazy trip.
It's either going to be a good movie and maybe even revitalise the franchise or just one more movie that I won't care about, in a franchise that died a long time ago but is still being milked.

Anyway, I don't think that just because he hasn't worked on a movie in space or that he's written Toy Story 3, it means that he can't write a good Star Wars movie. Besides, he won't be the only one working on that script.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
Michael Arndt huh? Can't say I saw that coming, but when ya think about it it's a great choice. He's the perfect guy really, he's used to writing for characters who're a little woody

Aug 1, 2010
SpiderJerusalem said:
MrDeckard said:
[h1/]waitwut[/HEADING]

First they buy it and now they want to put THIS guy on it???

I mean, he's a good writer and all, but how is Star Wars anywhere near what he has done in the past?
How was Star Wars anything like George Lucas had done in the past? Besides, in the end, it wasn't Lucas that even wrote or did the original trilogy - that has been well documented. Only in the Prequel Trilogy did Lucas finally have his paw prints all over everything that was on screen, and boy does it show.

Besides, comedy and adventure (both included in Toy Story 3) are some of the hardest things to do right. Arndt has accomplished both in a single movie that turned out to be the best in the series. I'd say Star Wars has nothing to be worried about.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Lucas AT ALL.

His writing was terrible and the Toy Story guy can only be better.

It just seems really weird to me. It would be like if the dude who made Rush Hour suddenly made an X-Men movie or something.

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
verdant monkai said:
The guy is a fucking comedy writer! what is everyone pleased about?? Its like a thrash metal singer announcing he is about to try and do some dubstep.

I tried to think of some oxymoron's to better illustrate my point but you get the idea, it is just plain stupid. I will still go and see them though because I am pretty curious.
Did you know the same guy who wrote Toy Story also wrote The Avengers, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, Cabin in the Woods, and Speed? His name is Joss Whedon, I'm guessing you've heard of him. So if the writer from Toy Story could make all those fantastic movies I'm pretty sure that the writer for Toy Story 3, which is in many people's opinions the best in the series, has the chops to write a Star Wars movie.

Bottom line, stop bitching people and realize this guy knows his shit. Anyone who can make a three-quel that's with as much acclaim from critics and audiences as Toy Story 3 I'm sure he can do this.Fortunately most people know this and are as happy as me, but not everyone can think unfortunately.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
verdant monkai said:
The guy is a fucking comedy writer! what is everyone pleased about?? Its like a thrash metal singer announcing he is about to try and do some dubstep.

I tried to think of some oxymoron's to better illustrate my point but you get the idea, it is just plain stupid. I will still go and see them though because I am pretty curious.
Have you seen either movies? There are comedic moments in Star Wars and if you dare tell me there is nothing serious in Toy Story 3 then you have the right, no, the duty to leave the internet right now and never come back.

The only change is from a fantasy style movie to an action science fiction movie, which if you want a good comparison would be like an alternative/indie rock singer joining a metal band. Not the same, and a bit of a leap, but there is enough commone ground to work with and if he was a good enough singer(or writer for the actual situation, and he is) then the jump should still work out well in the end.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Now to see if they use existing material (Truce at Bakura, Hand of Thrawn, etc) or make something new.

Mike Kayatta said:
Academy Award winner Michael Arndt has been given the impossible task of producing a script as good as Episode One's.
I get it.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
trty00 said:
Doom972 said:

Couldn't they get someone with Action/Science Fiction/Fantasy experience? Toy Story 3 was fine, but it's hardly the tone I expect from a good Star Wars film. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about it, but this kind of news doesn't help.
You can't possibly judge something like that based solely on the fact that he wrote Toy Story 3.
I'm not judging him because of TS3, I'm judging him regardless of it. While it was good, I would have preferred someone with experience with films closer to Star Wars' genre and tone.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Now all we need is Joss Whedon to direct.
That we do...

I was also thinking how awesome it would be if they tagged Drew Karpyshyn since he did a damn fine job writing the stories for SWTOR and the Darth Bane trilogy, as well as the Mass Effect novels (except that craptastic last one, that wasn't Drew). I pretty much love all of his work, and the only reason the ME3 fiasco happened was because he was busy with swtor, and they didn't go with his outline for how the story should wrap.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
Tartarga said:
So I guess we can expect episode VII to be a tearjerker then?
Well I heard they got Harrison Ford on board and he has always said the only way he would ever do a star wars movie again is if they killed of Hon Solo.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Doom972 said:
I'm not judging him because of TS3, I'm judging him regardless of it. While it was good, I would have preferred someone with experience with films closer to Star Wars' genre and tone.
You should be happy with the fact that they got a competent writer to begin with, also the problem with the prequels is that they thought the genre would carry it (spoilers: it didn't). You want a writer who can do good story and characters.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Sexy Devil said:
tmande2nd said:
Toy Story 3 was well written.
I mean yes its a kid movie
Why the hell is this an issue to everyone? Star Wars is a god damn kids movie. I don't care if you want to make some argument for the expanded universe; those 6 movies were, without a doubt, made with kids in mind.

I mean the only mildly dark parts in those movies came from the prequels, and all of those parts were more accidentally hilarious than dark.
What, choking people to death, torture, dismemberment and enforced servitude(aka slavery) are kids' stuff now? Is it now only adult if gets as graphic as Saw?

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Scars Unseen said:
What, choking people to death, torture, dismemberment and enforced servitude(aka slavery) are kids' stuff now? Is it now only adult if gets as graphic as Saw?
Sexy Devil said:
Why the hell is this an issue to everyone? Star Wars is a god damn kids movie. I don't care if you want to make some argument for the expanded universe; those 6 movies were, without a doubt, made with kids in mind.

I mean the only mildly dark parts in those movies came from the prequels, and all of those parts were more accidentally hilarious than dark.
Can we talk about this without sarcasm? We're on the same "side" here.

"Kids films" can have dark themes (read old fairy tales), and just because they are kids films doesn't mean they are devoid of artistic merit and good writing.

Lucas's prequels failed cause they had badly written stories and characters, there are people who try to justify this with "it's just a kid's film" but that doesn't work cause being a "kids film" does not make it immune to criticism valid for intelligently made films, especially when the original films had that intelligence.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
Doom972 said:
Couldn't they get someone with Action/Science Fiction/Fantasy experience? Toy Story 3 was fine, but it's hardly the tone I expect from a good Star Wars film. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about it, but this kind of news doesn't help.
Well he also has a movie in post production with Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman and Jamie Lannister. "A court martial sends a veteran soldier to a distant planet, where he has to destroy the remains of an alien race. The arrival of an unexpected traveler causes him to question what he knows about the planet, his mission, and himself. " And he wrote the screenplay for the next hunger games movie.

So presumably he knows what he is doing.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
it's not like the prequels were even bad by industry standards, just lacking in comparison to the original trilogy. judging by that...catering to a new generation/audience on an old name is the best bet for Disney and probably what they'll be doing...maybe

I'm not too emotionally struck either way on the matter anyway lol...just waiting to see what they'l produce. no skin off my back (or childhood)

Meatspinner

Feb 4, 2011
NICE! My my expectations for this movie went from meh to :DDD

Now they just need to sign Brad Bird on as the director and I can die happpy...

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
My hopes for Star Wars Episode VII just went up a bit but I was really hoping they would have gotten Joss Whedon to write the story instead. I have faith in this guy. I just have more faith in Joss Whedon.