Disney Hands Star Wars: Episode VII to the Writer of Toy Story 3

launchpadmcqwak

Dec 6, 2011
TimeLord said:
So still no news about when this will be set? i.e. pre-ep1 or post-ep6?

Also I liked Ep1 a lot, just saying... snarky subtitle and all.
i heard somewhere it is definetly post ep6...

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
klaynexas3 said:
Have you seen either movies? There are comedic moments in Star Wars and if you dare tell me there is nothing serious in Toy Story 3 then you have the right, no, the duty to leave the internet right now and never come back.

The only change is from a fantasy style movie to an action science fiction movie, which if you want a good comparison would be like an alternative/indie rock singer joining a metal band. Not the same, and a bit of a leap, but there is enough commone ground to work with and if he was a good enough singer(or writer for the actual situation, and he is) then the jump should still work out well in the end.
I've seen both thanks, Toy story 3 was funny yeah and the bits when the toys get abandoned are sad, but I am not leaving the internet whatever you say. So draw your sword boy I'll cut you down to size ha har... ahem..

I disagree Toy story is a comedy for kids with adventure elements and the odd serious undertone. Star Wars is a sci fi epic with the occasional splashes of humour like C3po not wanting to go on adventure's but following r2d2 into trouble anyway. But it has heights of seriousness Toy story doesn't, see Obi wan chopping up Anakin and Leia dying in childbirth and a whole planet being blown up, the population all murdered in one death star blast.

If you think they are pretty similar, then there is something wrong with you mate. They need to get someone in who knows the material is a fan and has done similar stuff before, not a comedy writer.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
afroebob said:
verdant monkai said:
The guy is a fucking comedy writer! what is everyone pleased about?? Its like a thrash metal singer announcing he is about to try and do some dubstep.

I tried to think of some oxymoron's to better illustrate my point but you get the idea, it is just plain stupid. I will still go and see them though because I am pretty curious.
Did you know the same guy who wrote Toy Story also wrote The Avengers, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, Cabin in the Woods, and Speed? His name is Joss Whedon, I'm guessing you've heard of him. So if the writer from Toy Story could make all those fantastic movies I'm pretty sure that the writer for Toy Story 3, which is in many people's opinions the best in the series, has the chops to write a Star Wars movie.

Bottom line, stop bitching people and realize this guy knows his shit. Anyone who can make a three-quel that's with as much acclaim from critics and audiences as Toy Story 3 I'm sure he can do this.Fortunately most people know this and are as happy as me, but not everyone can think unfortunately.
Your logic is ludicrous, let me get this straight. The guy who did the first Toy story is fantastic and an amazingly diverse writer, so the guy who did the third Toy story must be equally as versatile and good? 0_o
You realise they are two different people right? Any proof this guy "knows his shit"????

No I disagree he seems to be primarily a comedy writer, we need someone who is a fan with sci fi experience. Show me that this guy has done anything for the scifi genre of considerable note and then you can say I am "bitching". But by all means have a naive blind faith in someone with no immediately available experience in what he is doing, which by the way is an impossible task because die hard fans will never accept anything as cannon but the first 3 films.

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
Lovely Mixture said:
What, choking people to death, torture, dismemberment and enforced servitude(aka slavery) are kids' stuff now? Is it now only adult if gets as graphic as Saw?
Torture, dismemberment, enforced servitude, you know they were in toy story 3 right, kids stuff isn't always light and fluffy and Disney is the king of dark children's movies.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
verdant monkai said:
afroebob said:
verdant monkai said:
The guy is a fucking comedy writer! what is everyone pleased about?? Its like a thrash metal singer announcing he is about to try and do some dubstep.

I tried to think of some oxymoron's to better illustrate my point but you get the idea, it is just plain stupid. I will still go and see them though because I am pretty curious.
Did you know the same guy who wrote Toy Story also wrote The Avengers, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, Cabin in the Woods, and Speed? His name is Joss Whedon, I'm guessing you've heard of him. So if the writer from Toy Story could make all those fantastic movies I'm pretty sure that the writer for Toy Story 3, which is in many people's opinions the best in the series, has the chops to write a Star Wars movie.

Bottom line, stop bitching people and realize this guy knows his shit. Anyone who can make a three-quel that's with as much acclaim from critics and audiences as Toy Story 3 I'm sure he can do this.Fortunately most people know this and are as happy as me, but not everyone can think unfortunately.
Your logic is ludicrous, let me get this straight. The guy who did the first Toy story is fantastic and an amazingly diverse writer, so the guy who did the third Toy story must be equally as versatile and good? 0_o
You realise they are two different people right? Any proof this guy "knows his shit"????

No I disagree he seems to be primarily a comedy writer, we need someone who is a fan with sci fi experience. Show me that this guy has done anything for the scifi genre of considerable note and then you can say I am "bitching". But by all means have a naive blind faith in someone with no immediately available experience in what he is doing, which by the way is an impossible task because die hard fans will never accept anything as cannon but the first 3 films.
His logic is "don't just assume the guy can only write comedies". Besides, I don't see the deal - after the deathly serious prequels, a bit of comedy-action could be a welcome breath of fresh air in the series.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Just to clarify...Joss Whedon is neither God, nor is he the only person in the world who can write a SciFi script.
Sure, Avengers was great, but don't get all misty eyed and think that he is the greatest writer/directer the planet has ever seen.

Anyway, since Lucus managed to take the series to depths that were previously deemed impossible, Disney really don't have to do much to make a film which is better.

Just cut back on the CGI and have a script which wasn't written by a guy slamming his face against a keyboard and you should be fine.
Oh...and NEVER use the word 'younglings' again.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
Infernai said:
Now at last the masks had fallen away. The strings of the puppets had become visible, and the hands of the prime mover exposed. Most ironic of all, was the last gift that Lucas' departure had given me: more powerful then Disney which now held their rights. More Accute even then the knowledge of one able to discern the insanity of the expanded universe. The first bitter taste of that terrible illusion...hope.

On a more serious note, if you are making a movie set after the sixth movie. Maybe you should create one about this guy:

Just Saying...maybe it's time to give him a movie.
Little Gray said:
Tartarga said:
So I guess we can expect episode VII to be a tearjerker then?
Well I heard they got Harrison Ford on board and he has always said the only way he would ever do a star wars movie again is if they killed of Hon Solo.
Hmm with Harrison Ford's age and looks he could probably pull off Kyle's dad in the movie. Of course that is going from how Kyle looks from the games so that comparison probably isn't relevant at all.

OP I never bothered with Toy Story much after the first one and this kind of information just give me a raised eyebrow. Of course I just think why are they aiming for a script to rival episode 1, please no jar-jar type character. I'll just wait and watch before making any judgement calls.

Apr 17, 2009
Doom972 said:
Pallindromemordnillap said:
Doom972 said:
Couldn't they get someone with Action/Science Fiction/Fantasy experience? Toy Story 3 was fine, but it's hardly the tone I expect from a good Star Wars film. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about it, but this kind of news doesn't help.
Frankly I'd take someone with proven skill at writing good screenplays with decent characterisation over someone who just has sci-fi action movie experience. I mean, would you prefer Michael Bay be writing Episode VII? 'cuz he's got loads of Action/Science Fiction/Fantasy experience
I thought it would be obvious that I meant good experience. Why would you think anyone would want Michael Bay? Unless you secretly do...
I would only think someone would want Michael Bay if they had some sort of mental deficiency. I'm just pointing out the holes in your logic. Michael Bay makes films that are both sci-fi and, to most people's eternal regret, make money. Thats why you get films like Battleship aping his style. To Hollywood that makes him the ideal choice if all they want is sci-fi. So for Disney to get someone who can actually write is a positive thing

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Its still disney, Which is funny considering they used to fund the guy who was essentially one of the prototypes for Vader. So really its all moot.

While I do respect that disney has at least tried to push forward for an older demographic in recent memory, aiming for teens and tweens is still not a lot better than kids.

If the narrative follows ANY sort of idea of what should logically follow, it would lead to some of the darkest material in star wars lore, However you know that will not occur. So expect something pretty family friendly... and if you dont...

...errrr... submit.. whatever.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
verdant monkai said:
Someone clearly hasn't seen Little Miss Sunshine, have they?

I've gone from, "Disney buying Star Wars is a good move but I don't really care that much" to, "Holy fuck, this could be the start of something very special indeed".

neverarine

Nov 18, 2009
well that sounds promising, now if the can actualy follow the established books/comics that are already done i will be quite the happy camper

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Daymo said:
That's not my quote BTW.

Devoneaux said:
What's perhaps ironic here is that Toy Story 3 is probably more intelligent of a movie and deals with a lot of symbolic and heavy themes underneath it all.
Well they are almost too different to compare. But I see what you're saying, Toy Story handles much more complex themes.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
verdant monkai said:
klaynexas3 said:
Have you seen either movies? There are comedic moments in Star Wars and if you dare tell me there is nothing serious in Toy Story 3 then you have the right, no, the duty to leave the internet right now and never come back.

The only change is from a fantasy style movie to an action science fiction movie, which if you want a good comparison would be like an alternative/indie rock singer joining a metal band. Not the same, and a bit of a leap, but there is enough commone ground to work with and if he was a good enough singer(or writer for the actual situation, and he is) then the jump should still work out well in the end.
I've seen both thanks, Toy story 3 was funny yeah and the bits when the toys get abandoned are sad, but I am not leaving the internet whatever you say. So draw your sword boy I'll cut you down to size ha har... ahem..

I disagree Toy story is a comedy for kids with adventure elements and the odd serious undertone. Star Wars is a sci fi epic with the occasional splashes of humour like C3po not wanting to go on adventure's but following r2d2 into trouble anyway. But it has heights of seriousness Toy story doesn't, see Obi wan chopping up Anakin and Leia dying in childbirth and a whole planet being blown up, the population all murdered in one death star blast.

If you think they are pretty similar, then there is something wrong with you mate. They need to get someone in who knows the material is a fan and has done similar stuff before, not a comedy writer.
And the entire cast of main characters nearly dying in a giant flame and finally accepting their fate was hilarious? I'm not saying that they are exactly alike, I'm saying there's more common ground between the two than you give credit.

TitanAura

Jun 30, 2011
Mike Kayatta said:
Academy Award winner Michael Arndt has been given the impossible task of producing a script as good as Episode One's.
The sarcasm is strong in this one.