Disney Hands Star Wars: Episode VII to the Writer of Toy Story 3

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Jack_in_theGreen said:
At last a good writer steps into the series... :p

The big issue for me is: WHICH GENERATION will the new movies be targetted to?
THE 10 year olds...? soooo Disney can sell also MORE "happy meals" with its merchandise?

Or we can expect "some" level of maturity in the stories and character development? (So we old-timers are not left out for a change?)
Question is, who has the most money.

Answer is, everyone.

Disney, will appeal to everyone. Maybe not the 'below 12 audience' but... Young teenagers and above i suspect. That being said, when I was a young teenager my generation had already started watching horror. So really they dont stand to loose much by going mature.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
I wonder if Susan Arndt is realted to him :p

That's what i was wondering too...

I don't know... I'm still digesting the buyout. He's a good writer, but with no experience in this genre. Does that matter? Dunno, gonna reserve judgment until the movie is out.

Sean Steele

Mar 30, 2010
Jack_in_theGreen said:
At last a good writer steps into the series... :p

The big issue for me is: WHICH GENERATION will the new movies be targetted to?
THE 10 year olds...? soooo Disney can sell also MORE "happy meals" with its merchandise?

Or we can expect "some" level of maturity in the stories and character development? (So we old-timers are not left out for a change?)
I think we can expect the same Route Avengers took, genuinely appealing to all ages instead of just slapping. "All Ages" on the label as an excuse to be horrible.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
I hope they aren't serious about literally doing a script as good as Episode I's.

I mean... I don't feel like we need to bring back intergalactic politics. :p

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Sorry, but the prequels bit me far too hard to remain optimistic.
Star Wars might have hit rock bottom, and things might only improve, but lets not delude ourselves into thinking that any small improvement will create a great film.

Boring and mediocre might be better than boring and retarded, but it still isn't 'glorious'.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
From a story telling point of view, I have to ask if this is a story that needs to be told. The movies wrapped themselves up and there is already so much Expanded Universe material. If you were to set the new movie after Jedi, then you either have to do something unrelated to existing EU material or just retcon the entire thing. It could be interesting if they do something that is completely unrelated to Luke, Han, Leia and all them. I doubt Disney would have the courage to show us the Endor Holocaust though.

From a "Making a yacht filled with money" point of view, I understand exactly what they're doing. Which is why I hope Disney releases an original theatrical cut DVD.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010

Man MovieBob was right.
Even like what a DECADE since Episode 1 the butthurt is still strong.

People if anything can be said about Disney its that they know how to make decent movies that rake in cash.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
One thing Star Wars always lacked was a motivation for the villains, other than "Dark Side".
Toy Story did that very well in my opinion, at least for the Toy Villains.
I'm very optimistic about that.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
A good writer has been confirmed, if he turns out to be a great writer that can make awesome sci-fi work, and they get an amazing director, maybe the flame war about the whole thing will simmer until release.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Doom972 said:
Couldn't they get someone with Action/Science Fiction/Fantasy experience? Toy Story 3 was fine, but it's hardly the tone I expect from a good Star Wars film. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about it, but this kind of news doesn't help.
See, I think this is a good distinction to make. I don't think Starwars ever took off because of its dense Sci-fi background or seriousness.
But because the Sci-fi background set the stage for a great adventure.

I think we can expect very much the same where it'll be enjoyable for all audiences by not trying to be too thought provoking or dense in the sci-fi fantasy.

Though of course, I wish it was dense in the sci-fi stuff like District 9. But its definitely gonna go with the Avengers approach. I love that movie, but I definitely wished it cut back on the jokes at times.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
UsefulPlayer 1 said:
Doom972 said:
Couldn't they get someone with Action/Science Fiction/Fantasy experience? Toy Story 3 was fine, but it's hardly the tone I expect from a good Star Wars film. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about it, but this kind of news doesn't help.
See, I think this is a good distinction to make. I don't think Starwars ever took off because of its dense Sci-fi background or seriousness.
But because the Sci-fi background set the stage for a great adventure.

I think we can expect very much the same where it'll be enjoyable for all audiences by not trying to be too thought provoking or dense in the sci-fi fantasy.

Though of course, I wish it was dense in the sci-fi stuff like District 9. But its definitely gonna go with the Avengers approach. I love that movie, but I definitely wished it cut back on the jokes at times.
I guess it's more like high fantasy in space, than science fiction.
The words "enjoyable for all audiences" always make me shudder. Whenever this is said about a game or a film, I do my best to lower expectations.

Omgsarge

May 11, 2009
verdant monkai said:
It is not unreasonable to say someone with no experience of Sci Fi should not be given the most important Sci fi film, AS HIS INTRODUCTORY PROJECT ON SCI FI. i MEAN ITS STAR WARS THE MOST IMPORTANT SCI FI FILM EVER!!!!

I am not judging the book with a scathing analysis here I know what is happening. Disney's high ups must be snorting crack to pick this guy with no experience. I don't care any more you guys are fucking wrong. He is not the perfect choice you are making me RAGE, none of you seem to understand that someone who writes one kind of story and is good at it may not be so good at writing another genre. IT MAY BE GOOD we dont know yet, I'll give him a chance but he is a weird choice.
It doesn't really matter if he has experience as a science fiction writer. Him being a good writer and having a little bit of respect for the source material is all that is needed for a wonderful script or movie. Look at Nicholas Meyer director of Star Trek 2 The Wrath of Kahn, arguably the best and most well produced Star Trek movie of all time. Meyer knew almost nothing about the Star Trek universe and had only directed one time travel movie beforehand. Yet, he was perfect for the job.
Honestly, I would just wait for it to play out. A lot can still go wrong but at least they have a compassionate writer who also supposedly holds lectures about how the original Star Wars is one of the greatest movies of all time so...he does seems to care allot.
They could have chosen much, much worse.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Going to assume there won't be any "Hold me like you did by the lake on Naboo" cringe-worthy lines.

This can only be a good thing.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
My god, "original" Star Wars fans are the hardest to please.

This guy seems capable of writing a good story with good characters, so I'm optimistic for this.

kordan11

Jul 31, 2008
verdant monkai said:
klaynexas3 said:
It is not unreasonable to say someone with no experience of Sci Fi should not be given the most important Sci fi film, AS HIS INTRODUCTORY PROJECT ON SCI FI. i MEAN ITS STAR WARS THE MOST IMPORTANT SCI FI FILM EVER!!!!
You do realise SW is not Si-Fi, right? Right....?

There are so many examples of writers breaking into new genres with great success that this shouldn't be a problem. Plus, the guy apparently lectures about screenplays and SW.

As far as SW news goes, things could be much much worse. :)

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Wait... "producing a scrip as good as Episode ONE"?! ...That shouldn't be too hard, just put in a bunch of boring, monotone political dialogue and make-believe technobabble.