Disney is doing a Terrible job with the Marvel License.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
Every thing non movie wise Marvel is doing terrible, their movies are are great, I would rather watch Iron Man 3 a thousand times, then the atrocity that was Suicide Squad. Video game and comic book wise Marvel is doing terrible. Its seems like its just to spite Fox who owns the movie rights to Fantatsitic Four and the X-men. Even though Fox was one of the Movie and TV studio's that bailed out Marvel from bankruptcy in the 90's by buying Marvel Character's movie and TV rights.

Video game wise MVC4 wont have X-men or fantastic Four Characters at Launch even though the Franchisee started with X-men Children of the Atom
Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 doesn't seem to have any X-men or Fantastic Four characters in their first trailer.

Comics wise, Marvel has over 30 years of established continuity with the X-men that represents people of color and others who are disenfranchise and wants to trow that in that in trash. While also shoving the inhumans down our throat along with half assed diversity. When I say half assed diversity, Jean Grey Outs Ice man as gay before Iceman even knew he was gay. That being said I hope the Hydra event this summer will be cool.

I just wish Disney would remember the best Version of the X-men in any medium was the 90's animated series made by Fox.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I dont think Disney is too involved in the Comic side of things.

I am not disagreeing that Marvel Comics is currently absolute trash, but I dont think it is the direct fault of Disney.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
kilenem said:
Every thing non movie wise Marvel is doing terrible, their movies are are great, I would rather watch Iron Man 3 a thousand times, then the atrocity that was Suicide Squad. Video game and comic book wise Marvel is doing terrible. Its seems like its just to spite Fox who owns the movie rights to Fantatsitic Four and the X-men. Even though Fox was one of the Movie and TV studio's that bailed out Marvel from bankruptcy in the 90's by buying Marvel Character's movie and TV rights.

Video game wise MVC4 wont have X-men or fantastic Four Characters at Launch even though the Franchisee started with X-men Children of the Atom
Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 doesn't seem to have any X-men or Fantastic Four characters in their first trailer.

Comics wise, Marvel has over 30 years of established continuity with the X-men that represents people of color and others who are disenfranchise and wants to trow that in that in trash. While also shoving the inhumans down our throat along with half assed diversity. When I say half assed diversity, Jean Grey Outs Ice man as gay before Iceman even knew he was gay. That being said I hope the Hydra event this summer will be cool.

I just wish Disney would remember the best Version of the X-men in any medium was the 90's animated series made by Fox.
The comics are mainly their own fault thanks to the creators, not Disney. If you want to complain about Disney poorly handling Marvel, check out their animated shows.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Why should they give a damn about the comics when they only make a tiny, tiny fraction of the money that their movies do?

Currently their comics are just cheap testing ground for their movie studio. Throw shit at the wall, see what sticks then cash in with a movie.

They can't make X-Men movies or Fantastic 4 movies, so they don't bother with those comics.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
Marvel licence? Christ The Force Awakens took around 40 odd years of Star Wars magic, and totally wiped out any good that the first 3 movies did on one fucking foul, horrid, plagiarized swoop.

Yeah you know all that which Luke, Han & Leia fought for? Well it's gone. No explanation, it's just all shit now. Oh and Han & Leia divorced. Yay.

Disney is the evilest force on the planet and needs to die.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
True, but given I've never really been a regular buyer of comics, I kinda only care how the MCU's doing. It'd be nice to get some good games out of Marvel properties - it's not like they don't have the roster or the arcs to work in all kinds of genres.

Danbo Jambo said:
Marvel licence? Christ The Force Awakens took around 40 odd years of Star Wars magic, and totally wiped out any good that the first 3 movies did on one fucking foul, horrid, plagiarized swoop.
Or it was the best Star Wars film - and the films above all else are what matters - since 1983, or even 1980? Each to their own, and all that... I feel TFA went above and beyond just being a good [at times excellent] film - it restored Star Wars' soul.

Yeah you know all that which Luke, Han & Leia fought for? Well it's gone. No explanation, it's just all shit now.
Thus goes the fate of all continued/expanded universes; if the stories continue, shit needs to go bad again. I believe that's one reason why Tolkien chose not to revisit/continue certain characters, as he felt it would bleakly step away from fantasy - and become history (which has no end and tends to repeat itself).

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Darth Rosenberg said:
True, but given I've never really been a regular buyer of comics, I kinda only care how the MCU's doing. It'd be nice to get some good games out of Marvel properties - it's not like they don't have the roster or the arcs to work in all kinds of genres.

Danbo Jambo said:
Or it was the best Star Wars film - and the films above all else are what matters - since 1983, or even 1980? Each to their own, and all that... I feel TFA went above and beyond just being a good [at times excellent] film - it restored Star Wars' soul.

Yeah you know all that which Luke, Han & Leia fought for? Well it's gone. No explanation, it's just all shit now.
Thus goes the fate of all continued/expanded universes; if the stories continue, shit needs to go bad again. I believe that's one reason why Tolkien chose not to revisit/continue certain characters, as he felt it would bleakly step away from fantasy - and become history (which has no end and tends to repeat itself).
I'm curious. How old are you? And i totally don't mean that in a demeaning way. What i love/hate about Star wars, is that you can practically guessing a persons age depending on their opinions on the star wars movies/franchise.

Edit: I'd guess early 20s. And again i mean this in the friendliest way possible.

OT: i don't think disney deserves all the blame But a lot more could be done with the near limitless material at their disposal.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
While Marvel kills it with movies DC kills it with TV shows. I think they both are good in some stuff and bad at other stuff with the other major comic maker filling in each others weakness's.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Saelune said:

I am not disagreeing that Marvel Comics is currently absolute trash, but I dont think it is the direct fault of Disney.
I doubt Disney has much to do with the overall operation of Marvel in general. I would imagine that Disney owning Marvel pretty much just means that Disney has access to Marvel's IP and presumably a slice of any profits the company makes. I doubt they micromanage very much. All of the OP's complaints can be aimed squarely at Marvel themselves and not at Disney. I could be wrong about all that though. That just makes the most sense to me.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Canadamus Prime said:
Saelune said:

I doubt Disney has much to do with the overall operation of Marvel in general. I would imagine that Disney owning Marvel pretty much just means that Disney has access to Marvel's IP and presumably a slice of any profits the company makes. I doubt they micromanage very much. All of the OP's complaints can be aimed squarely at Marvel themselves and not at Disney. I could be wrong about all that though. That just makes the most sense to me.
I'd imagine they have some hand in the business side of the films.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Veldie said:
While Marvel kills it with movies DC kills it with TV shows. I think they both are good in some stuff and bad at other stuff with the other major comic maker filling in each others weakness's.
DC is too grim dark for me. Cartoons are better when brighter IMO. Having said that, Teen Titans Go and Batman: Brave and the Bold (the tongue in cheek one, although I liked the original Batman the animated Series) were more to my liking. If Cyborg is not saying Booyah then Im not buying.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Danbo Jambo said:
That seems rather unfair. The prequel movies did much more damage to the franchise, surely, and TFA was not as bad as any of those 3. It did kill the expanded universe, and I'm by no means saying it was as good as the originals.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Saelune said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Saelune said:

I'd imagine they have some hand in the business side of the films.
Truly I don't know how these big corporations operate nor what exactly it means for one company to "own" another one. I was just guessing. I gathered that Disney has full access to Marvel's IP since Marvel characters are in Disney Infinity.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
bjj hero said:
Veldie said:
DC is too grim dark for me. Cartoons are better when brighter IMO. Having said that, Teen Titans Go and Batman: Brave and the Bold (the tongue in cheek one, although I liked the original Batman the animated Series) were more to my liking. If Cyborg is not saying Booyah then Im not buying.
wait you like teen titans go!? Thats a first. Its prob the only DC toon that's universally hated for being shit.

Brave and the Bold is pure silver age cheese and I love it.

Eagerly awaiting season 3 of Young Justice to.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Veldie said:
wait you like teen titans go!? Thats a first. Its prob the only DC toon that's universally hated for being shit.

Brave and the Bold is pure silver age cheese and I love it.

Eagerly awaiting season 3 of Young Justice to.
I watch TTG with my 8 year old. It's our thing. I quite like when they meet the titans from Young justice and decide theyre need to be more angsty and brooding, just like YJ.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Lufia Erim said:
I'm curious. How old are you? And i totally don't mean that in a demeaning way. What i love/hate about Star wars, is that you can practically guessing a persons age depending on their opinions on the star wars movies/franchise.

Edit: I'd guess early 20s. And again i mean this in the friendliest way possible.
Now I'm curious as to your rationale, because you swung in completely the opposite direction as I'd have guessed, pre-edit.

No, you're at least a decade out. The prequels started to appear after I'd had close to two decades of life (Phantom was '99, I think?) with blissfully only the originals to define the franchise.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
kilenem said:
Have they outright stated this or is it just speculation? Honestly I am not expecting much from the game I think the competition have really outpaced them this generation with fighters but I would not be surprised if Wolverine is in the game at launch at least.

Not saying you are wrong in what you are saying just that as far as I know we dont even have a final roster declared yet although we know DLC characters are on the way because of course they are.

I am personally hoping for Psylocke since she is my favourite comic book character but I am not holding my breath.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Lufia Erim said:
This sounds like a fun game.

Without looking at my profile, try to guess mine based on this opinion:

I'm mostly lukewarm on Star Wars. I've enjoyed a number of the games over the years, even consider one or two to be favorites. I liked Eps 1 and 4, thought the first half of 6 was good but it went to shit when the Ewoks showed up (except for the last fight between Luke and Vader), and absolutely adore Ep 5. Have yet to see (and don't really feel the need to see) Forces Awakens and Rogue One. Genuinely couldn't give a shit about The Last Jedi.

Always been more of a Trekky, anyway. I prefer my stupid sci-fi camp a bit closer to the harder side.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
Maximum Bert said:
kilenem said:
Have they outright stated this or is it just speculation? Honestly I am not expecting much from the game I think the competition have really outpaced them this generation with fighters but I would not be surprised if Wolverine is in the game at launch at least.

Not saying you are wrong in what you are saying just that as far as I know we dont even have a final roster declared yet although we know DLC characters are on the way because of course they are.

I am personally hoping for Psylocke since she is my favourite comic book character but I am not holding my breath.
Its Speculation because most of the things I've heard is 2nd knowledge but its weird Wolverine was in the first trailer of MVC3 and not in any of MVC4 so far. I hope im wrong.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
Zhukov said:
Why should they give a damn about the comics when they only make a tiny, tiny fraction of the money that their movies do?

Currently their comics are just cheap testing ground for their movie studio. Throw shit at the wall, see what sticks then cash in with a movie.

They can't make X-Men movies or Fantastic 4 movies, so they don't bother with those comics.
Self respect for your art,and keeping the fanboys happy helps generate buzz for your movies.