Disney is doing a Terrible job with the Marvel License.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
Danbo Jambo said:
Marvel licence? Christ The Force Awakens took around 40 odd years of Star Wars magic, and totally wiped out any good that the first 3 movies did on one fucking foul, horrid, plagiarized swoop.

Yeah you know all that which Luke, Han & Leia fought for? Well it's gone. No explanation, it's just all shit now. Oh and Han & Leia divorced. Yay.

Disney is the evilest force on the planet and needs to die.
Disney and star Wars is weird because I was like sweet a good star wars movie after the Prequels. Then I was like maybe we just needed someone to tell George Lucas no.I hate the prequels but I felt like they were more original and weren't generic like the Disney movies.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
Veldie said:
bjj hero said:
Veldie said:
While Marvel kills it with movies DC kills it with TV shows. I think they both are good in some stuff and bad at other stuff with the other major comic maker filling in each others weakness's.
DC is too grim dark for me. Cartoons are better when brighter IMO. Having said that, Teen Titans Go and Batman: Brave and the Bold (the tongue in cheek one, although I liked the original Batman the animated Series) were more to my liking. If Cyborg is not saying Booyah then Im not buying.
wait you like teen titans go!? Thats a first. Its prob the only DC toon that's universally hated for being shit.

Brave and the Bold is pure silver age cheese and I love it.

Eagerly awaiting season 3 of Young Justice to.
Teen titans go isn't bad its just Teen titans is better. It just if you solve problems with violence some parents activist group will cancel your show

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
bjj hero said:
Veldie said:
While Marvel kills it with movies DC kills it with TV shows. I think they both are good in some stuff and bad at other stuff with the other major comic maker filling in each others weakness's.
DC is too grim dark for me. Cartoons are better when brighter IMO. Having said that, Teen Titans Go and Batman: Brave and the Bold (the tongue in cheek one, although I liked the original Batman the animated Series) were more to my liking. If Cyborg is not saying Booyah then Im not buying.
As a kid that grew up on the original Teen Titans show, Teen Titans Go fills me with despair and anger the likes of which you couldn't possibly understand. Every time someone speaks well of it I die a little inside. The bullshit that was pulled with Young Justice is also a complete travesty.

I like the DC animated universe when it comes to the movies, but the treatment of their television shows in recent years is sick and wrong.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
kilenem said:
Danbo Jambo said:
Marvel licence? Christ The Force Awakens took around 40 odd years of Star Wars magic, and totally wiped out any good that the first 3 movies did on one fucking foul, horrid, plagiarized swoop.

Yeah you know all that which Luke, Han & Leia fought for? Well it's gone. No explanation, it's just all shit now. Oh and Han & Leia divorced. Yay.

Disney and star Wars is weird because I was like sweet a good star wars movie after the Prequels. Then I was like maybe we just needed someone to tell George Lucas no.I hate the prequels but I felt like they were more original and weren't generic like the Disney movies.
Exactly.

The prequels were shit, but at least they tried to fuck things up from an original angle. TFA did it whilst rehashing the original movies, and did it using old rope.

Thaluikhain said:
Danbo Jambo said:
That seems rather unfair. The prequel movies did much more damage to the franchise, surely, and TFA was not as bad as any of those 3. It did kill the expanded universe, and I'm by no means saying it was as good as the originals.
Thing is whatever happened with the prequels ROTJ left you on a high. Whereas TFA turned up and said "yeah, all that stuff which happened? Well it didn't matter as the universe is pretty much back to how it was a few years later. And we're not really gonna explain much about that either, we're just gonna hope you're all thick enough not to ask the queation "How the fuck is Leia leading a "resistance", when there's the end of the last movie left the rebellion as the prime power in the galaxy?"

I've no issue with what happened, it had to happen to move on to a new gen, but it feels as if there's a whole other movie between ROTJ & TFA explaining what happened.

There should have been at least 15-20 min at the start of any movie post ROTJ allowing old fans to absorb & enjoy what the original cast accomplished before then bringing another dark cloud to fight against.

Oh and pretty much all Han Solo did in Empire was sit behind a cockpit, be cocky, and fly like a demon/madman, beating massive forces & odds with nothing but wit & skill. Why on earth did they have Harrison run around so much in TFA? It was a relief when Han died, just so we didn't have to see him continue to hobble round so much.

TFA - awful film

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
Danbo Jambo said:
"How the fuck is Leia leading a "resistance", when there's the end of the last movie left the rebellion as the prime power in the galaxy?"
Uh...did it?

Now I don't really like Star Wars and I have no emotional attachment to the movies but didn't it just end with them blowing up the second Death Star and killing the Emperor?
The Empire still had a council of chancellors and and army and...you know, an EMPIRE. Destroying a super-weapon and killing a head of state doesn't destroy an empire. If ISIS destroys a stealth bomber and assassinated Donald Trump tomorrow America wouldn't fall apart and cease to exist and make ISIS the defacto ruler.

We're not working on Civilization rules.

On topic: I dunno why Disney are being so shy about Marvel games. Super hero is about the only genre of open world that's worth playing and I have no idea why they've not bombarded us with mediocre but fun as hell open world games. I mean they could just make like "Marvel: Hero Island" and build a super detailed, destructable and dense map of Manhattan and use it a base template then transplant different heroes an missions into it.

Once the map is built all they need to do is customize missions and collectibles for each hero and release them as DLC.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Danbo Jambo said:
Thing is whatever happened with the prequels ROTJ left you on a high. Whereas TFA turned up and said "yeah, all that stuff which happened? Well it didn't matter as the universe is pretty much back to how it was a few years later. And we're not really gonna explain much about that either, we're just gonna hope you're all thick enough not to ask the queation "How the fuck is Leia leading a "resistance", when there's the end of the last movie left the rebellion as the prime power in the galaxy?"

I've no issue with what happened, it had to happen to move on to a new gen, but it feels as if there's a whole other movie between ROTJ & TFA explaining what happened.
Fair point, I'd not considered that.

Here Comes Tomorrow said:
Uh...did it?

Now I don't really like Star Wars and I have no emotional attachment to the movies but didn't it just end with them blowing up the second Death Star and killing the Emperor?
The Empire still had a council of chancellors and and army and...you know, an EMPIRE. Destroying a super-weapon and killing a head of state doesn't destroy an empire. If ISIS destroys a stealth bomber and assassinated Donald Trump tomorrow America wouldn't fall apart and cease to exist and make ISIS the defacto ruler.

RotJ was, though. At least in the newer version, the ending has lots of little snippets of crowds all over the Empire celebrating and pulling down big statues, like the ones the US staged after Iraq, only supposedly not staged.

Sure, realistically, that would not work. Hell, even if it did, there'd be massacres as anyone who may or may not have had gotten a bit too cosy with the Imperial gets strung up. But in Star Wars, that's not the way things supposedly worked.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Danbo Jambo said:
The prequels did a pretty good job at it. Remember the force? Its microbes now...
And it is not "plagiarism" if they do it themselves.
Danbo Jambo said:
There is a decent explanation in the movie itself: they grew apart after what happened with their son (him going all emo and that).

And I am not defending the first order as empire 2.0, but it makes a lot more sense than "They killed the head of state. Ok, the empire is over. Lets pack up and go. Bill, turn off the lights on the way out" that you seem to imply should soon follow the original trilogy.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
If it weren't for the constant fucking events, comics-wise Marvel's doing pretty amazing.
Yes they're ignoring the XMen and Fantastic 4, but those were trash anyways.
Fantastic 4 has never worked in modern times, and X Men was ruined by Wolverine. He turned an ensemble piece into a series of sidekicks while he continues to be a terrible character.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
On topic: I dunno why Disney are being so shy about Marvel games. Super hero is about the only genre of open world that's worth playing and I have no idea why they've not bombarded us with mediocre but fun as hell open world games. I mean they could just make like "Marvel: Hero Island" and build a super detailed, destructable and dense map of Manhattan and use it a base template then transplant different heroes an missions into it.

Once the map is built all they need to do is customize missions and collectibles for each hero and release them as DLC.
Licensed games based on movies are not worthy anymore, at least in the regular console market (mobile games are still trending because they have a much smaller budget), and lets not even consider AAA. What was the last good licensed movie release game you can remember? Toy Story 3? Wolverine Origins?... Even Disney Infinity, which made some money and would fit some of your description, wasn't profitable enough to justify keeping around. The closest they got now is Marvel Heroes, and that gets profitable due to microtransactions.

This is not a punch to Disney alone, almost no movie franchise justifies the cost of big budget development: X-Men, DCEU, Spiderman, Batman...

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Well, it makes sense that the X-Men and Fantastic Four wouldn't be in licensed Marvel products...y'know, seeing as how a different company currently owns the rights.

The problem with Marvel comics right now is their ham-fisted attempts at stirring up controversy and pushing political agendas for its own sake. I'm not necessarily averse to making such statements in the medium (X-Men is at its heart one big allegory for topics of racism and bigotry), but it has to make sense within the context of the story and characters. Regardless of one's stance, I think we can all agree that panels like this are just pure cringe:
Danbo Jambo said:

Welp, I guess this is a Star Wars thread now...

To be fair, the galaxy enjoyed a good thirty-odd years of peace under the New Republic before the First Order made its move. That's about the same amount of time that the "Legends" NR was in power before the Yuuzzhan Vong came in and fucked everything up. Moreover, they were still in a near-constant state of war the whole time with the Imperial Remnant and various warlords, Dark Jedi and the occasional upstart alien race like the Ssi-Ruuk and Yevethans. Also, I think having your son fall to the dark side and turn into a homicidal maniac would strain any marriage.

Honestly, my biggest gripes with the sequel trilogy so far are more on the visual side. I was rather disappointed to see essentially the same tech on display with only slight visual modifications. I can kind of buy the Resistance using X-Wings on account that they might be military surplus, but are they seriously trying to say that the First Order is STILL using the basic Tie Starfighter design? I mean, the Empire already had a more advanced fighter with the Tie Interceptor in RotJ, and the <a href=http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE/D_Defender>Tie Defender is still canon. Oh, and kudos to the schmuck who came up with Starkiller Base, aka "Death Star 3.0." That must have taken what, all of five seconds of brainstorming? Say what you will about the quality of most "Legends" post-Endor stories, but at least we got some spiffy new vehicles and ships out of them like World Devastators and the E-Wing.

I get that some similarities were necessary to bring the average moviegoer "back on board" with Star Wars, but don't treat them like drooling idiots by making EVERYTHING look almost identical to the classic trilogy.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008

Go check out what's now canon between RotJ and TFA. The Empire fights the Battle of Jakku in the next year after the Battle of Endor. After they lose that, they just give up and surrender. The New Republic takes most of their planets and forces them to disarm. All Imperial military academies are abandoned and military officers are handed over as war criminals(!).

In total, the time between the Senate being dissolved back in A New Hope and the Empire meeting it's end and being formally carved up is five years. It's madness, but that's what's canon is these days.

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
Souplex said:
If it weren't for the constant fucking events, comics-wise Marvel's doing pretty amazing.
Fantastic 4 has never worked in modern times, and X Men was ruined by Wolverine. He turned an ensemble piece into a series of sidekicks while he continues to be a terrible character.
Did you just say Fantastic Four doesn't work in modern times? Huh... Guess you didn't read the Johnathan Hickman run on the series. Which was amazing. Don't bash Fantastic Four, man. They are great characters.

Anyway, if you want to blame the downfall of Marvel Comics on something, blame these guys:
Joe Quesada
Brian Michael Bendis

There are others, but these two morons are the main offenders. Unlike DC which has fixed their sinking ship of dreadful comics with the overall fantastic Rebirth line, Marvel's All-New Bullshit has been atrocious and is hemorrhaging readers at an unsustainable rate. They just trash so many characters (Captain Marvel and Captain America being the most ruined of them all) that it is just alienating their base of readers at this point.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
Orga777 said:
Souplex said:
Did you just say Fantastic Four doesn't work in modern times? Huh... Guess you didn't read the Johnathan Hickman run on the series. Which was amazing. Don't bash Fantastic Four, man. They are great characters.

Anyway, if you want to blame the downfall of Marvel Comics on something, blame these guys:
Joe Quesada
Brian Michael Bendis

There are others, but these two morons are the main offenders. Unlike DC which has fixed their sinking ship of dreadful comics with the overall fantastic Rebirth line, Marvel's All-New Bullshit has been atrocious and is hemorrhaging readers at an unsustainable rate. They just trash so many characters (Captain Marvel and Captain America being the most ruined of them all) that it is just alienating their base of readers at this point.
To defend Quesada and Bendis its clearly Marvel's call on the horrible summer events.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
It's probably better to compare the Empire to real life dictatorships ruled by a single authoritarian leader than to the USA (unless Trump goes full F?hrer). Oftentimes, those dictatorships are largely held together through the force of personality of that leader, alongside a good deal of fear and manipulation, preventing the various factions from going at each other.

When that leader (Palpatine) is suddenly removed and there is no immediately apparent successor (possibly Vader, who also served as Palpatine's enforcer), you usually end up with a bunch of powerhungry people all trying to claim the throne for themselves (although only the ones who command large armies really matter). Unless one of those people has enough military and political power/acumen to cow the others into obedience, that empire tends to quickly devolve into infighting, fragmenting it into a lot of warlords ruling their own 'fiefdoms' and formerly subjugated peoples going independent or switching sides to whatever other great powers are out there.

It has happened many times throughout history and IIRC, in the old Star Wars EU, that's pretty much how it went down. Sometimes, someone like Thrawn would restore some unity to the Imperial Remnant, only for their demise to take that away again in a downward spiral.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
I got the feeling that people who liked The Force Awakens are the same people who likes J.J. Abrams' Star Trek reboot. It's for people who don't like the canon of the original IP.

Marvel have not made a successful tie-in game for their movies. They have attempted a couple of times with Iron Man and Captain America. The most recent successful game was about ten years ago with an Incredible Hulk game.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
KissingSunlight said:
I got the feeling that people who liked The Force Awakens are the same people who likes J.J. Abrams' Star Trek reboot. It's for people who don't like the canon of the original IP.

Marvel have not made a successful tie-in game for their movies. They have attempted a couple of times with Iron Man and Captain America. The most recent successful game was about ten years ago with an Incredible Hulk game.
To be fair if you watched star trek young and your first major motion picture might've been lets say the Borg movie. You didn't really grow up with the highest quality of Star Trek movies. The same goes for the Pre-quels. Granted Star Wars E.P 2 is a 2 hour sin against cinema and Star Trek has never reached that level of shite.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Danbo Jambo said:

The Prequels should have told you to stop watching. The Star Wars movie universe is pretty bad.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Danbo Jambo said:
Yeah you know all that which Luke, Han & Leia fought for? Well it's gone. No explanation, it's just all shit now.
Did you ever think that the explanation of how things went to shit might pop up in the other two thirds of the story? You're judging the new trilogy by what is pretty much act one.
That would be like saying watching the first twenty to thirty minutes of The Avengers and complaining that they didn't fight enough people, or properly explain what the Tesseract was.

Zendariel

May 15, 2012
Vigormortis said:
Lufia Erim said:
I'm curious. How old are you? And i totally don't mean that in a demeaning way. What i love/hate about Star wars, is that you can practically guessing a persons age depending on their opinions on the star wars movies/franchise.
This sounds like a fun game.

Without looking at my profile, try to guess mine based on this opinion:

I'm mostly lukewarm on Star Wars. I've enjoyed a number of the games over the years, even consider one or two to be favorites. I liked Eps 1 and 4, thought the first half of 6 was good but it went to shit when the Ewoks showed up (except for the last fight between Luke and Vader), and absolutely adore Ep 5. Have yet to see (and don't really feel the need to see) Forces Awakens and Rogue One. Genuinely couldn't give a shit about The Last Jedi.

Always been more of a Trekky, anyway. I prefer my stupid sci-fi camp a bit closer to the harder side.
I'll throw a guess, maybe 30 to 35?

The games factor about as much into the guess than as movies, but i'd guess you weren't too old when phantom menace came out or didn't mind gungans and jar jar quite as much as most of people seem to. Also the final scenes might have left an impression. I'd guess you haven't watched it a again in a while, though that guess is colored by what seems to be the current concencus of prequel trilogy being really bad for the whole star wars universe. And you mentioning you prefer star trek.

The games that usually seem to leave the most lasting impressions are usually dark forces 2, Knights of the old republic games, jedi knight 2 and jedi academy, or the snes era games. Which are all pretty old already. And the force unleashed games might be too new to be favorites when combined with the facts you've watched episode 1 and prefer "stupid sci-fi a bit closer to the harder side", and that they didn't seem to be that popular. Also you listed the episodes starting from 1 so it might have been the first one you saw, and if that is the case it was probably closer to original release. You also didn't mention 2 or 3 at all.

As for me, watched the original trilogy a couple of times, really liked it but they kind of start to blur together. Saw it the first time at a pretty young age, have watched the episode 1 and find it interesting how much people seem to hate it. Took me between 3 and 7 attempts to make it through episode 2 without falling asleep, didn't really care for episode 3. Episode 7(Force awakens) felt like a reboot, took a little too much from the originals. But I liked some parts, mostly involving a certain stormtrooper, overall though it didn't have as much impact as I expected in either direction. Liked Rogue One but went into it completely blind. Most characters felt very underdeveloped though. The two newest movies also try to blend together a little.

As for games, liked the podracer game and jedi academy, didn't really manage to get knights of the old republic games to work too well but want to get into those.

OT: don't know really, i'm not much into comics, moviewise they seem to do better than marvel did prior to disney owning the company. Also marvel comics are pretty different to disney comics (I think) so would think they want to let marvel run that department pretty independently. Played bunch of games made after that but most don't seem to be that succesful. And i don't know if disney has really made or published that great games since snes/mega drive/genesis era.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
Zendariel said:
OT: don't know really, i'm not much into comics, moviewise they seem to do better than marvel did prior to disney owning the company. Also marvel comics are pretty different to disney comics (I think) so would think they want to let marvel run that department pretty independently. Played bunch of games made after that but most don't seem to be that succesful. And i don't know if disney has really made or published that great games since snes/mega drive/genesis era.
They are not better because Disney owns them. They did a civil war sized event, called AXIS and they only that came out of it was that Scarlet Witch and Quick Silver aren't Magneto's Children. This way Marvel can say they aren't mutants and don't belong to Fox