Disney Is Stupid, And You're Dumb

LookAtYouHacker

Mar 18, 2012
Boudica said:
LookAtYouHacker said:
Boudica said:
LookAtYouHacker said:
Aladdin sexist? No shit, Sherlock. -_-

The story is loosely adapted from the Tales Of The Arabian Nights. During the period it was written, feminism didn't even exist.
Lol. Feminism has existed for as long as we've had a structured society. The term simply implies a form of gender aware social movement.
I've been infuriated by an offensive comment (regarding breast-feeding) all day. The user stated "all mothers who breastfeed are paedophiles."

If I was previously interpreted as obnoxious, now you know why.
Out of curiosity, what was the comment?
The user stated "all mothers who breastfeed are paedophiles."

LookAtYouHacker

Mar 18, 2012
Boudica said:
LookAtYouHacker said:
Boudica said:
LookAtYouHacker said:
Boudica said:
LookAtYouHacker said:

The story is loosely adapted from the Tales Of The Arabian Nights. During the period it was written, feminism didn't even exist.
Lol. Feminism has existed for as long as we've had a structured society. The term simply implies a form of gender aware social movement.
I've been infuriated by an offensive comment (regarding breast-feeding) all day. The user stated "all mothers who breastfeed are paedophiles."

waitwut

No, seriously... wut? I'm going to need to look into this. I can't believe this is true until I see it. My brain just won't allow it.
No, it was in an Internet Cafe. I nearly punched them.

LookAtYouHacker

Mar 18, 2012
Boudica said:
LookAtYouHacker said:
Boudica said:
LookAtYouHacker said:
Boudica said:
LookAtYouHacker said:

waitwut

No, seriously... wut? I'm going to need to look into this. I can't believe this is true until I see it. My brain just won't allow it.
That's just one thing though, nearly everything causes me to fume with rage. Someone told me that "rapists are doing their victims a favour in the long run."

You know? Because ALL rape victims become strong women, right? -_-

Calatar

May 13, 2009
Here are some movies you MAY think have been missed

• Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
    Pinocchio
    Fantasia
    Dumbo
    Bambi
    Saludos Amigos
    The Three Caballeros
    Make Mine Music
    Fun and Fancy Free
    Melody Time
    The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
    Cinderella
    Alice in Wonderland
    Peter Pan
    Lady and the Tramp
    Sleeping Beauty
    One Hundred and One Dalmatians
    The Sword in the Stone
    The Jungle Book
    The Aristocats
    Robin Hood
    The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
    The Rescuers
    The Fox and the Hound
    The Black Cauldron
    The Great Mouse Detective
    Oliver & Company
    The Little Mermaid
    The Rescuers Down Under
    Beauty and the Beast
    Aladdin
    The Lion King
    Pocahontas
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame
    Hercules
    Mulan
    Tarzan
    Fantasia 2000
    Dinosaur
    The Emperor's New Groove
    Atlantis: The Lost Empire
    Lilo & Stitch
    Treasure Planet
    Brother Bear
    Home on the Range
    Chicken Little
    Meet the Robinsons
    Bolt
    The Princess and the Frog
    Tangled
    Winnie the Pooh
Personally, I vote Rescuers Down Under, Great Mouse Detective, and Fantasia.

LookAtYouHacker

Mar 18, 2012
Boudica said:
LookAtYouHacker said:
Boudica said:
LookAtYouHacker said:
Boudica said:
LookAtYouHacker said:

waitwut

Ok fine, you asked for it.

https://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&safe=off&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=mothers+breastfeeding+paedophiles&oq=mothers+breastfeeding+paedophiles&gs_l=hp.3...535.7695.0.7754.33.25.0.8.8.0.199.2429.16j8.24.0...0.0...1c.5jNue3kMtoE&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=3f2d9d64fceb416d&biw=1803&bih=815

LookAtYouHacker

Mar 18, 2012
Boudica said:
LookAtYouHacker said:
Boudica said:
LookAtYouHacker said:
Boudica said:
LookAtYouHacker said:

waitwut

http://www.whattoexpect.com/forums/july-2010-babies/archives/article-women-who-breastfeed-are-pedophiles.html

And this.

LookAtYouHacker

Mar 18, 2012
Boudica said:
LookAtYouHacker said:
Boudica said:
LookAtYouHacker said:
Boudica said:
LookAtYouHacker said:
Boudica said:
LookAtYouHacker said:

waitwut

http://www.whattoexpect.com/forums/july-2010-babies/archives/article-women-who-breastfeed-are-pedophiles.html

And this.
*Scrolls through the site*

*Smashes head against wall to forget ever reading it*

Much better.
Yeah... I literally smash furniture sometimes. Call me immature, but sometimes I just can't help myself. My curiosity overwhelms me, and I come across things like this. *Sigh*

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Can't disagree with the varying tastes, & I'll bet no one shares my top 10.

*3 Caballeros: Cute music & I'm pretty damn sure the animators were high when they made it.
*Bedknobs & Broomsticks, because their pre-70s movies were good.
*Fantasia: Could have done without that Mickey the Wizard part though.
*Beauty & the Beast: Woman does not instantly fall head over heals for guy. Gestan doesn't exist outside of the Disney version & he was a massive improvident to the story, whereas all their other adaptations take away & water down the original story.
*Make Mine Music: Very artistic, good music.
*Nightmare Before Christmas: The most un-Disney thing Disney ever did.
*Who Framed Roger Rabbit: Back when Disney knew that adult humor would go right over kid's heads.
*The Great Mouse Detective: Because anything Vincent Price touches becomes gold, no matter how camp it is.
*Hunchback of Notre Dame: Gargoyles were unnecessary, but Frolo & Esmerelda were unforgettable.
*Gargoyles pilot: The first so-many episodes of the TV series were actually a movie cut into segments.

Least favorite, because Japan did it better:

*Swan Princess: The Swan Lake anime follows the book & plays Tchaikovsky. Okay, so it's not technically a Disney movie, but the film is directed by a former Disney animation director Richard Rich & it was done in their style intentionally.
*Lion King: The Jungle Emperor Leo anime is what TLK is really ripping off, & JEL had a fine blend of camp & violence that American parents wouldn't have been thrilled with.
*The Little Mermaid: Original moral is left intact & the ending will actually make children cry.
*Pinocchio: Disney gave it a movie, Japan gave it a TV series.
*Anything not done in cell animation or stop-motion, because f**k CGI.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
P.S. If you see me at the Escapist Expo and request show tunes from The Jungle Book, yes, you will get them.
You will regret those words Chris ;)

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
I truly didn't like Beauty and the Beast. Not sure why, but even when a few years back a girlfriend tried to get me to watch it with her... I was just bored the whole time. Perhaps it was too predictable (I know all Disney movies are btw)

Something just never felt right or natural in it. It was like some kind of story I'd heard a bajillion times, except it was told in a horribly annoying voice, by ridiculously eccentric characters.

I'm glad the Hunchback got some love though. That movie was awesome.

Would El Dorado have counted as one of those animated movies? Did Disney even make it?

It's one of the few ones that always pops into my head when people talk about disney animated movies... I'm really not sure why.

Ferrious

Made From Corpses
Jan 6, 2010
As my personal favourite Disney film (ARGH! This is like trying to rate Pixar films!) I will say that anyone who hasn't seen Lilo and Stitch is doing themselves a disservice. It's funny and cute but also surprisingly dark and affecting. Seriously, try it.

mronoc

Nov 12, 2008
The Little Mermaid isn't any dumber than any of those other movies, really, just about every Disney film (there's at least one exception in Emperor's New Groove) is broad and thematically incoherent (Ariel gets her happy ending by making a deal with the devil, Bell has Stockholm Syndrome, Foxes and Hounds can learn to not kill each other but can't really be friends, and monarchy is a totally viable system of government). Really, any perceived "dumbness" in The Little Mermaid probably comes from the fact that, unlike a lot of other Disney films, it at least doesn't have a tone that pretends to be saying more than it does.

Oh, and the correct answer is "Tangled."

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
Wow, it is clear that these No Right Explanation guys are way younger than I...because *all* of their top 10 films are from the new generation of Disney films. Which was a generation that didn't even register in my brain...though I did see Mulan. But no Sleeping Beauty, Jungle Book...etc.

Product of its time, indeed! It isn't just Disney films that are products of their time, but also No Right Explanation (actually everything this so, you know)

Not a critique, just an observation!

But one that makes me feel old.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
I don't really have favorite Disney movies lists. I just know I like a majority of them, so...*raspberry*

BlindChance

Librarian
Sep 8, 2009
I'm just a huge Tangled and am a little sad no-one even mentioned it. If that's wrong, I don't want to be right. Tangled was fantastic; funny, charming, and had substance.

But yes, Beauty and the Beast is probably the best one.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
When I see things like this the first thought that comes to my mind is that the contenders are by and large too recent, we're looking at a competition that is largely pitting the animated movies of Generation X against each other, with nods to Generation Y's "Pixar" movies like Toy Story. The problem with this of course is that it overlooks things like "Snow White" and "Cinderella" which arguably started it all, set high bars for animation for pretty much forever, and most importantly have been watched and embraced by pretty much every generation since their release, in some cases setting sales records when they have been held back from public release and then re-released on video or in theaters. I'd say that while it's POSSIBLE that someone hasn't seen these movies, I'd imagine far more people have seen them and liked them than any of the modern contenders, especially if you start thinking globally.

When it comes down to things like the best Disney villain, consider that when all all the bad folks gather around at night (Disney crossovers are frequent) it's not Jim Walker or Jafar they look to for leadership, it's inevitably Malificent , the evil queen, a character that is both instantly recognized and absolutly oozes dark charisma, not to mention having been the bearer of one of the most dramatic beat downs to Disney heroes (and part of what is their best over all fight scene/confrontation).

Now, don't misunderstand this, I'm not actually breaking this down to a personal favorite, but saying there are some objective criteria that can be used. If your going to argue "best" at this time you need to look at classic disney, give it a few more generations and if Aladdin, Beauty and The Beast, or some of the works of Pixar are still around and being viewed the same way, then they would be due for consideration.

In closing, other than a certain evil Queen from one movie, how many of the Seven Dwarves would you recognize? The answer might surprise you, and I think you'll get more recognition from that, than Timon and Pumbaa no matter how praised "The Lion King" might be, at least for the moment. None of these works have endured long enough to be a true, multi-generational global phenomena.

So to throw my hat into the ring, instead of analyzing the match up, and talking about how it's subjective, you might want to kind of consider than the real match up probably should have been "Cinderella" against "Snow White".

Sharayah Pranger

Dec 8, 2011
BlindChance said:
I'm just a huge Tangled and am a little sad no-one even mentioned it. If that's wrong, I don't want to be right. Tangled was fantastic; funny, charming, and had substance.
If it will make you feel better, when I watched Tangled with Chris, one of us was very teary-eyed and it wasn't me.