Disney: Marvel Films Could "Go On Forever"

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Well, considering the comics basically go on forever, I'm not too surprised. However, considering that phase 2 churned out my favorite movies of the franchise, I doubt they'll have any trouble for a while. When they do (and as someone else said), they'll probably just dial back the release schedule a bit.

Although really, that headline should read "Disney wishes marvel Films could go on forever."

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
No they won't, because people will get bored with them eventually. Marvel are brilliant with what they do, and not many studios could keep this going for as long as they have, but this is like a very healthy and fit human claiming that they're unstoppable and going to live forever. They might keep this going for a good while but eventually they'll stop when tedium sets in.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Please no.

Look, Disney, I love Star Wars. I grew up reading the books, and while I'm not thrilled you gutted them, I am happy to be seeing new movies. And I am enjoying my time with the Marvel movies. But the thought that these movies will still be coming out, still be made, when I'm nearly fifty? Just think about that gives me a small case of burnout. Franchises need breaks, stories need to end. You have plenty of other stuff to work with. Make sure you give your current toys a break, otherwise you're going to wear out their appeal and break them.
Bringing them back after a few years of silence is okay, but from what it sounds like, you guys are just going to flood the market, and that breaks my heart.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Please no.

Look, Disney, I love Star Wars. I grew up reading the books, and while I'm not thrilled you gutted them, I am happy to be seeing new movies. And I am enjoying my time with the Marvel movies. But the thought that these movies will still be coming out, still be made, when I'm nearly fifty? Just think about that gives me a small case of burnout. Franchises need breaks, stories need to end. You have plenty of other stuff to work with. Make sure you give your current toys a break, otherwise you're going to wear out their appeal and break them.
Bringing them back after a few years of silence is okay, but from what it sounds like, you guys are just going to flood the market, and that breaks my heart.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
I have no problem with an unending MCU. I just don't want an overwhelming MCU. Keep it to 3 movies a year and we should be golden. Don't Guitar Hero comic movies.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
In other news, Disney will keep putting out animated films, McDonalds will keep churning out Big Macs, Nintendo will keep putting out Mario games, and EA will bring out a new Madden game every year.

Is anyone else really that shocked at this?

Kahani

May 25, 2011
A corporation has no plans to stop making money? I'm shocked and appalled by this incredible news.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Eri said:
What are they going to do when iconic actors are done playing said characters and don't want to renew the contract?
Technically speaking, they've already switched Hulk out once.

They could always pass the proverbial mantle on too, many superhero identities in comics have had 4 or 5 different owners at this point, even before potential original characters. Even if they pass to an alternate version for a movie or two, it'll be less likely to have the backlash of a simple immediate recasting

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
its already reaching the point where your average film goer watching these films is having a near impossible job of keeping up with everything when you add references to tv shows as well and its just getting worse

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Wow, you mean they don't intend on stopping until it ceases to make money? This is considered news ... for some reason.

Despite their absurdly forward-thinking plans we all know they'll drop the genre the second it stops making money, and will extend it indefinitely while it's profitable.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Johnny Novgorod said:
Because forever is a long, long time.
It's only forever - not long at all.

James Bond appears to be functionally endless. Why not MCU and Star Wars? At least, I assume that's the logic. Although, Bond films don't come out nearly as often as MCU films, so there's less burnout. On the other hand, MCU films are quite a bit less beholden to rigid formula.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
I've already gotten tired of it. Too many movies in too short a time.

It doesn't help that Netflix and regular TV are littered with Marvel too. And DC to boot.

It's like the cop dramas in the 2000s. We got sick of them and we will get sick of these too. And although anecdotal, most of my friends are tiring of it too.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Pyrian said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Because forever is a long, long time.
It's only forever - not long at all.

James Bond appears to be functionally endless. Why not MCU and Star Wars? At least, I assume that's the logic. Although, Bond films don't come out nearly as often as MCU films, so there's less burnout. On the other hand, MCU films are quite a bit less beholden to rigid formula.
By the end of this year we'll have 14 MCU films released in the past 8 years.
It took 37 years to release that many Bond movies. With gaps of as long as 7 years in between - in stark contrast to Marvel's 2-movies-a-year business plan. And that's not even counting all the TV shows that have sprung in the past 3 years, like mildew on the bathroom wall. Or the other superhero movies & TV shows flooding the market for that matter.
Based on the velocity of the whole phenomenom, my impression is that Marvel movies are more likely a fad than a mainstay.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Johnny Novgorod said:
It took 37 years to release that many Bond movies.
Yeah, but Bond films are almost all basically the same formula. While the Marvel movies straddle a number of (action) genres and plot structures.