Disney Princesses Go Jedi in Artist's Illustrations

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Disney Princesses Go Jedi in Artist's Illustrations

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1282/1282297.jpgArtist Phil Berry has recreated four of Disney Princessess as Jedi Knights.

When Disney purchased Lucasfilm and Star Wars, one of the first thing that many people did was joke about the fact Princess Leia might now count as a <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/disney%20princesses?os=disney+princesses>Disney princess. That being the case, what if the reverse were to occur? Never one to pass up the opportunity to transform a Disney Princess from one thing into another, the internet has provided us with an answer.

Or, more specifically, artist Phil Berry has. A concept artist, Berry recently produced a series of images focused on re-imagining <a href=http://phill-art.deviantart.com/gallery/57791209/Disney-Jedi>four of Disney's princesses -Jasmine, Ariel, Rapunzel and Belle- as Force-powered saber-wielding Jedi. Speaking to The Escapist, Berry revealed that he picked the princesses based "on what they could offer" to the Star Wars universe. "I've never seen a Jedi use only the Force to wield a weapon, so I thought Rapuzel's hair would be a great opportunity to play with that idea," he said. The biggest driver behind his choices however, were actually the princesses' sidekicks. "The biggest factor was if I could have fun transforming the princess's companions into a Star Wars looking alien. I wanted to avoid making the Beast a Wookiee, or making Rajah a Nexu, so I could make my own." Berry would go on to share that he'd like to continue the series with illustrations based on Ursula, Snow White and Merida.

Speaking personally, I'd love to see Berry continue with illustrations based on all of Disney's princesses. Mulan would be great fodder for a Jedi conversion, as would Aurora and, of course, Anna and Elsa. Here's hoping Berry can find the time to work his way through them all. In the mean time, check out the ones he's finished (and his take on a young Yoda too!).
[gallery=5816]
Source: <a href=http://phill-art.deviantart.com/gallery/57791209/Disney-Jedi>DeviantArt

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Pretty bizarre fetish, but as long as you're not hurting anybody...

EDIT: You really need more substantial interviews in these articles, as well as more variety.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
I'm starting to think we need an entire subsection of this site dedicated to "Disney princesses redrawn as _____". How many different versions of this has there been, and is it the same person doing all these crossovers? If yes, then that's some real dedication to such a specific idea. If no, then that's a strangely common idea.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
God dam reverse griped light sabers. I can not explain how much I hate it.

Wish Lion King would get more love in these, Nala never gets included.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
What about re-imagining Disney princesses as members of 19th century British parliament?

Ukomba said:
It's like when people hold handguns sideways.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Nurb said:
What about re-imagining Disney princesses as members of 19th century British parliament?

Ukomba said:
It's like when people hold handguns sideways.
More like Kid Death's up-side-down grip

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Randomly posting shit from Deviant Art is news now...OK.
Well at least they interviewed him I suppose.

voltair27

Apr 9, 2012
Ukomba said:

Remember: Lightsaber combat does not obey the laws of physics. Reverse Shien is a perfectly legitimate combat style.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The art is pretty, but these are so generic.

Ukomba said:
Yeah, it really sucks that they created varied sabre forms based on actual Japanese sword techniques, doesn't it?

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Oh FFS Escapist. I'm convinced one of you wanks to these whenever it comes up. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but if you need Disney princesses to maintain proper prostate health, maybe it's time to involve a professional, doctor I mean.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
voltair27 said:
Ukomba said:

Remember: Lightsaber combat does not obey the laws of physics. Reverse Shien is a perfectly legitimate combat style.
Oh ya? Which Laws of Physics are being broken?

If you think it's a legitimate style, show me a anyone using that grip in Fencing or Kendo. Show me any competitive combat where that is a viable style. There is a reason there is no real life sword styles that primarily rely on the reverse grip.

Something Amyss said:
The art is pretty, but these are so generic.

Ukomba said:
Yeah, it really sucks that they created varied sabre forms based on actual Japanese sword techniques, doesn't it?
I think the key word there is Techniques. There are some moves that requires the occasional reversing of the grip for a very situation reason. In the same way there are legitimate, situation reasons you might have to occasionally turn a gun side ways. That doesn't legitimize doing it all the time. Some of those reasons even get negated due to it being a light saber and you can't use your forearm for added leverage. When you have your character walking around holding a sword backwards all the time it's just because a certain type of person thinks it looks cool. It's ok if you like the look, but you might as well go into combat with sagging pants or fantasy style bikini armor if the visual aesthetic is the primary concern.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ukomba said:
I think the key word there is Techniques.
Well, no, but I didn't expect the response to be quite so pedantic. There are arts developed around reverse grip, both one and two handed.

Personally, I think it probably becomes more practical when you factor in the space magic saber wielders generally have on tap and a focus on close-range fighting in certain duelist styles.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Remus said:
Oh FFS Escapist. I'm convinced one of you wanks to these whenever it comes up. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but if you need Disney princesses to maintain proper prostate health, maybe it's time to involve a professional, doctor I mean.
If it bothers you so much, don't click on them.

Personally, I enjoy some of these.

In a non-fapping role.

voltair27

Apr 9, 2012
Ukomba said:
voltair27 said:
Ukomba said:

Oh ya? Which Laws of Physics are being broken?

If you think it's a legitimate style, show me a anyone using that grip in Fencing or Kendo. Show me any competitive combat where that is a viable style. There is a reason there is no real life sword styles that primarily rely on the reverse grip.
The fact that plasma is being focused through a lens and contained inside a magnetic field is a big one. How about that the blade of a lightsaber is weightless and massless but still has inertia?

Lightsabers are ENTIRELY rule of cool so the reverse grip being used is pretty much a non-issue. You should read up on all the other lightsaber Forms. Ataru would REALLY trigger you.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
FirstNameLastName said:
I'm starting to think we need an entire subsection of this site dedicated to "Disney princesses redrawn as _____". How many different versions of this has there been, and is it the same person doing all these crossovers? If yes, then that's some real dedication to such a specific idea. If no, then that's a strangely common idea.
From a quick count of the 'news' search results for 'Disney Princess' there's about 2O now, but both the forum and article show up so I may have counted a few twice by accident.

I didn't open all of them, but it looks like Stew here does quite a few of them. He is by no means the only contributor, though.

Edit: I'm curious as to the traffic numbers on these, they would seem to be quite popular since there are so many of them. I never actually look at them myself, I just skip straight to the forums to watch people complain about them.

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
I like these "what if" imaginings, but I can't place who all of them are supposed to be.