Disney Wants to Release a New Star Wars Every Year Indefinitely

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
they saw how well ubisoft does and activision by releasing the same game every year with some minor changes and they thought they can do this as well with this franchise in movie form.
as much as im looking forward to epi 7, im not thrilled at all to see every year a new star wars movie. hell, not even epi 1-3 were released on a yearly base. i see this going to flop pretty quickly. i think not even die hard fans would appreachiate it. unless they are blinded by the dark side of the force.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I, JEDI!
-come on!!!

Dark Forces:
-The games were pretty good, the books were better.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
In Dark Matter (the TV series), there's a reference to Star Wars Ep. 30 (round abouts), and how it's considered a classic.

Well, looks like it might have the number right at least. :(

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Every year a cliffhanger!

I hope people won't go bathsit crazy over the hype each year, or I just save up for a fishing cabin somehwere up north and exile myself.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Damn, I wonder if they can even make one decent movie with this crap pile already in the pipeline.
Yearly releases always go well... they do for the accountants anyway.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States

Please tell me I wasn't the only one?

Seriously though, I can't imagine anything Disney can truly do to rape the series any more than Lucas did so, bring it on. I'm not really a fan so I imagine my opinion is really diminished.

sorsa

Dec 19, 2011
All I'm reading is: "Alright boys let's attach our vampiric tentacles to the franchise and suck until all that is left is a husk that tastes like cardboard, then move on to the next victim. THE HUNGER CAN NEVER BE SATED."

Please put a leash on your suits Disney.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
Grouchy Imp said:
If they hadn't retconned the EU they'd probably have enough source material to manage it too.
No, the EU was made non-cannon precisely for this reason. The way it used to be meant that they couldn't have made new material without running into problems because of the EU. Now that the EU doesn't exist anymore, they can do their own thing, develop the characters and universe they want, and still take EU material and adapt it to make it cannon again or to put their own spin on it.

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
Well not that many people are complaining about the two Marvel Studios movies we get on average every year and will be getting well into the future, so why should Star Wars be treated any different? I think its fair to say that Star Wars is more popualar than even Marvel so I don't foresee this ending any time soon unless they really royally screw it up somehow. Plus Star Wars is also a much more expansive and varied universe than Marvel's so I'd say it has even greater potential in terms of movies. We're already getting the next classical mythologised installment in the traditional saga, a Han Solo comedy adventure a la Indiana Jones (my guess) and a slightly grittier troops on the ground war story in Rogue One. There are so many places they can go in the star wars universe both in terms of locations, characters and tone that I'm very excited to see them explore it. Just don't eff it up Disney!

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
LegendaryGamer0 said:

Please tell me I wasn't the only one?

Seriously though, I can't imagine anything Disney can truly do to rape the series any more than Lucas did so, bring it on. I'm not really a fan so I imagine my opinion is really diminished.
You clearly lack imagination if think cannot ruin this franchise anymore than Lucas did?

I mean for all we know in this star wars universe. I mean for one I think turning Luke into Darth Vader 2.0 is a slap in the face to the character of Luke Skywalker.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Samtemdo8 said:
You clearly lack imagination if think cannot ruin this franchise anymore than Lucas did?

I mean for all we know in this star wars universe. I mean for one I think turning Luke into Darth Vader 2.0 is a slap in the face to the character of Luke Skywalker.
I absolutely cannot imagine it being any worse than The Phantom Menace.

As for the latter, I doubt they'd do that and if they did, I only hope they did/do it well. Again, I'm not really a fan of Star Wars so my opinion is probably not worth much in the grand scheme of things.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
"Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind?
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and old lang syne?

for auld lang syne, my dear,
for auld lang syne,
we'll take a cup of kindness yet,
for auld lang syne."

Takes a shot.

Confound this company, it drives me to drink.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
This decision seems like it's based in very optimistic assumptions about brand loyalty. Then again, people have done nothing but shriek and whine about the prequel films ever since 1999 and Star Wars has continued to make more money then physically exists on Earth, so maybe they have the right idea after all. Plus this could lead to some interesting concepts: a long running film series in real time, with continuity between characters and situations updated yearly (I know it's fun to hate corporations but I'm willing to assume they have more ideas then "Let's watch Duke Piegawker's garden grow"). It may also lead to Imperial perspective stuff, which would be pretty cool.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Can't believe I'm the first person to point this out but there's a typo in the thread title, that should be "Indefinitely".

I have a feeling one a year may be too much for many audiences. Us fans will lap it up, as will the kids. Mainstream adult culture will probably tire of Star Wars being back once the hype dies down though, hopefully Disney will be sensible with budgets and not rely on them to stay afloat. I'm cautiously optimistic since I really love the Star Wars universe, a lot of mediocre dross has come from there in the past though and the franchise risks going down that path again if it isn't careful.

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
I can't wait to see how many more spherical planetary death machines can be blown up over the course of the next 10 years!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
AND THEIR TRUE COLORS FINALLY SHOW THEMSELVES!

Great, go the way of Assassin's Creed and milk the franchise until it's a shriveled up corpse.