Disney Will Hold Star Wars Open Casting Auditions In the UK

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Disney Will Hold Star Wars Open Casting Auditions In the UK

Do you look like a street smart and strong orphaned girl in her late teens? How about a smart and capable 20-something?

Star Wars Episode VII, Disney's first shot at the franchise, is to get two new stars from an open casting call in the UK, to start later this week. London, Dublin and Glasgow are among the locations targeted, as Disney searches for two young actors to add to its roster. Exactly who those characters are remains to be seen; Disney hasn't given any indication, even in the audition materials given to the prospective actors. For that matter, J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan have yet to write this thing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129229-Star-Wars-Episode-VII-Its-2015-Or-Bust-Says-Disneys-CEO], so it's a safe bet these characters aren't really fleshed out. For now, anyway.

If you happen to be in an audition for, say, a smart, capable man in his late teens and early twenties, or a street smart and strong orphan girl in her late teens, you may be about to wind up in a galaxy far, far away. Most of the production will take place in the UK - Abrams will be Claire Curry [http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2013/06/j-j-abrams-is-moving-to-london-to-film-star-wars/]'s feed, like a hawk pursues a plump mouse.

Yes, this kind of open casting is how Mark Hamill got his start, but fair warning: Disney really isn't trying to play up the Star Wars angle, at least not in the auditions. Turning up in your Stormtrooper armor [http://stormtrooper-armour.com/], no matter how accurate it may be, is probably a bad idea.

Source: BBC [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24828750]

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
I have to go to this, even if it's just to check out what's happening.

Though if I end up in the movie, I won't forget you all! ;D

I'm kind of excited to see they're actually moving forward with this though. I know it's going to get bad press from hardcore Star Wars fans, but I'm interested to see in what they're coming up with.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Open auditions are the way to go for this, IMHO.

As cool as it was to see actors like Liam Neeson and Christopher Lee in the prequels, I think it would be cool to have some new blood in the mix. Granted, there is no guarantee that their acting ability will be up to snuff, but that only matters if the script is worth a damn...

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Mahorfeus said:
Open auditions are the way to go for this, IMHO.

As cool as it was to see actors like Liam Neeson and Christopher Lee in the prequels, I think it would be cool to have some new blood in the mix. Granted, there is no guarantee that their acting ability will be up to snuff, but that only matters if the script is worth a damn...
Which it probably won't be because this is Abrams we're dealing with. The guy who thought it was a stroke of genius to blindly rip off the Wrath of Khan.

Aside from that...

I agree, its about time to shake things up a little...

though I think we're probably going to end up with half the cast of Doctor Who with this.

Bassman_2

Feb 9, 2009
It could be Harry Potter in the Jedi Academy. Use the force and swish and flick.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
If i was born one month later I could audition for this. WHY IS LIFE SO CRUEL!?

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
TheDoctor455 said:
though I think we're probably going to end up with half the cast of Doctor Who with this.
Presenting Matt Smith as Darth Who!

I'm in two minds about how well this could go. On one hand I want to see actors I don't recognise so it's a bit more fresh, but on the other I want to see Stephen Fry as some kind of interplanetary Underworld Lord who runs the smuggling after Jabba snuffed it. Maybe John Hurt as a new Jedi master. And Bill Nighy as Bill Nighy.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
CriticalMiss said:
TheDoctor455 said:
Presenting Matt Smith as Darth Who!

I'm in two minds about how well this could go. On one hand I want to see actors I don't recognise so it's a bit more fresh, but on the other I want to see Stephen Fry as some kind of interplanetary Underworld Lord who runs the smuggling after Jabba snuffed it. Maybe John Hurt as a new Jedi master. And Bill Nighy as Bill Nighy.
Or Dereck Jacobi as... some kind of villain.

He was in Doctor Who... briefly. When they brought The Master back... the first time.

Why didn't they keep him on as The Master? That was incredibly stupid.

But still... its JJ Abrams running the show...

so its going to be boringly average...

with a soundtrack by Blandy and the Blandersons... and their completely uninteresting songs.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Ha. I am starting to think I am the only one here who likes Abrams. Maybe it's an Escapist thing.

Malty Milk Whistle

Oct 29, 2011
Ooh, heard about this today, one of my mates is auditioning when they come to London
You go Kerris, may the force be with you! (oh god i'm so sorry)

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Ah what the hell, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Off to Bristol this weekend.

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
You know what? I like Disney. I feel comfortable having them handling Star Wars.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
TomWiley said:
You know what? I like Disney. I feel comfortable having them handling Star Wars.
YOU DO NOT BELONG ON THE ESCAPIST! BEGONE FOUL CREATURE! xD

Jokes aside, i have to agree, Disney have handled Marvel pretty much perfectly, Abrams may be directing, but Disney are going to be watching his every move to make sure this works.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
I see Bristol went well.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/video/2013/nov/10/star-wars-open-auditions-bristol-video

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Might give it a shot if it was in Belfast, but I don't think it's coming up North. Thinking of what a Northern Irish accent might do to Star Wars I don't blame them