Disney's Big Hero 6 Introduces Teen Superheroes

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Disney's Big Hero 6 Introduces Teen Superheroes

New trailer reveals Baymax and Hiro's fellow crimefighters in Disney's first animated Marvel-adaptation

Though not produced as an official part of the advertising [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/marvel%20cinematic%20universe] focuses mainly on the relationship between 14 year-old Hiro Hamada and his inflatable robot Baymax; the newest trailer finally offers a good look at the rest of the team.

Along with Hiro and Baymax, Disney's version of Big Hero 6 are a diverse team of teenagers from fictional San Fransokyo including athletic Go Go Tamago (throwing-disks), super-fanboy Fred (weaponized kaiju-costume), mellow beatnik Wasabi (energy blades) and Honey Lemon (alchemy.) The team comes together to help Hiro and the newly-upgraded (from caretaker to combat-robot) Baymax battle a masked supervillain who attacks the city with "microbot" nanotechnology.

The original Marvel series was created as an attempt to appeal to the then-burgeoning U.S. manga audience, assembling an anime-inspired team made up of the company's various Japanese characters like Sunfire. [http://marvel.com/universe/Silver_Samurai] along with new characters created for the series. The film's heroes are primarily drawn from the "new" membership.

Source: Walt Disney Animation Studios [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IdMPpKMdcc]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I wonder if Marvel are going to release a one shot comic to promote the film like any other superheroes being made into a film. Also will the team get a revamp aswell to match the costumes in the film aswell? I mean they did that with Hawkeye.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
This does look really promising but why does every freaking 3D animated film feel the need to have a power pop ballad over it's trailer, they're so bloody generic, give me Two Steps from Hell any day.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
PunkRex said:
This does look really promising but why does every freaking 3D animated film feel the need to have a power pop ballad over it's trailer, they're so bloody generic, give me Two Steps from Hell any day.
Because it brings the promise of excitement AND emotion. The trailer surely wasn't wasting any time pushing the bond between this kid and his balloon-bot.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
PunkRex said:
Because it brings the promise of excitement AND emotion. The trailer surely wasn't wasting any time pushing the bond between this kid and his balloon-bot.

All it promises me is that my teeth are about to be that little bit more ground down.

It's a nitpick, the film looks good regardless.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
And once again Fox having the rights to the X Men franchise ruins another movie. Looks cute but this is Hero 6 in name only.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
God this movie looks awesome. Disney animation has really stepped up their game lately so I'm totally lookin forward to their next entry.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
$10.00 says Tadashi (sp?) is Sgt. Kabukiman.

This looks cute, I still wonder why they're not playing up the Marvel connection though.
My assumption is to avoid confusion with the MCU which this is clearly not part of.

If this does well enough I assume we can look forward to Power Pack, Damage Control, Agents of Atlas and Runaways flicks. Most of which I admit don't exactly scream "Family Amination" but if you're not going to play up the Marvel angel they're all good for adaptation.

Also the Pet Avengers.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Diddy_Mao said:
$10.00 says Tadashi (sp?) is Sgt. Kabukiman.

This looks cute, I still wonder why they're not playing up the Marvel connection though.
My assumption is to avoid confusion with the MCU which this is clearly not part of.

If this does well enough I assume we can look forward to Power Pack, Damage Control, Agents of Atlas and Runaways flicks. Most of which I admit don't exactly scream "Family Amination" but if you're not going to play up the Marvel angel they're all good for adaptation.

Also the Pet Avengers.
The can't really play up the Marvel connection though. Nearly all of the members of the team in their original incarnation are either mutants or have connections to various X Men teams.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Winnosh said:
And once again Fox having the rights to the X Men franchise ruins another movie. Looks cute but this is Hero 6 in name only.

Doesn't apply Fox has the 'live action' film rights only. Disney is just not supporting anything to do with the x-men or FF while they don't have those rights as Disney and Fox hate each other.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
OHMYGODSOCUTE

seriously, this is a good trailer, it's got me really interested, and the humour seemed decent too. I may well be using an orange wednesday code on this.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I can't wait for this movie. I thought it look hilarious when I first saw the trailer, and this one looks even better. It looks hilarious.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
If the western comic book industry wanted to appeal to fans of manga and Japanese stuff in general, naming all of their heroes some weird stereotypical Japanese thing that sounds like they were came up with at a sub-par Kansas sushi bar probably wasn't the best place to start with that.

Still, I can't help but be quite interested in how they go about it, and seeing the other heroes is at least encouraging, as it appeared initially that the other heroes in the comics might be marginalized in the movie.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
I've got copies of the Big Hero 6 miniseries around somewhere. This is verrrrryyy different.

But it looks fun! ^_^

ElMinotoro said:
One thing has been bugging me for a while. Isn't big hero 6 a japanese team?
Bingo. It's a Japanese team based in Japan. I saw a few things in the trailer that could suggest a Japanese connection...but it's probably based in the U.S. The characters didn't even look Asian (I think they can render the eyes to make characters look Asian if they wanted to, but if not, oh well).

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
rosac said:
OHMYGODSOCUTE

seriously, this is a good trailer, it's got me really interested, and the humour seemed decent too. I may well be using an orange wednesday code on this.
I'm actually really excited about this movie. Looks like the right amount of cute and character. Throw that in with a meaningful plot and it could be perfect.

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
Basement Cat said:
Bingo. It's a Japanese team based in Japan. I saw a few things in the trailer that could suggest a Japanese connection...but it's probably based in the U.S. The characters didn't even look Asian (I think they can render the eyes to make characters look Asian if they wanted to, but if not, oh well).
It looks like it's in Japan to me, especially in one of the later clips where he is running through the streets. I'm pretty sure I saw Cherry Blossom trees in the background. I think the main character and his family are definitely Asian, it's just that the art style just makes the differences very subtle. Perhaps I'm just full of myself but I feel like I can see the difference. His friends definitely look like they're from the west though.

I'm actually very interested in this. Disney has been on and off for me lately, but this feels like it might be a humdinger as long as they find a way to make the main villain compelling and interesting. What even are his super powers? It looked like he was bending concrete or something. I also hope that they do something with Hiro's friends. By the looks of the trailer Baymax and Hiro will be the focus, and I don't want a cast of meddlesome and helpless comic reliefs pulling the plot down the entire way. I'm hopeful that isn't what they are doing.

AliasBot

Jun 14, 2013
(Setting is apparently a city called "San Fransokyo," so it's presumably a mash-up of America and Japan.)

Really, I'm just glad the obligatory cute Disney mascot character (Baymax, obviously) is going to be relevant and doing something in the plot, and not just stand around providing comic relief. That was my biggest gripe with Frozen. Granted, this one feels like it will probably be more in the vein of Wreck-It Ralph than the recent "princess" movies - somehow I don't see them doing musical numbers - but Wreck-It Ralph is one of my favorite Disney movies, so that's not a problem for me. All in all, looking forward to this.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
GeneralFungi said:
It looks like it's in Japan to me, especially in one of the later clips where he is running through the streets. I'm pretty sure I saw Cherry Blossom trees in the background. I think the main character and his family are definitely Asian, it's just that the art style just makes the differences very subtle. Perhaps I'm just full of myself but I feel like I can see the difference. His friends definitely look like they're from the west though.
I just rewatched the trailer and lo and behold--I paid attention to their names! *rolls eyes at my prior lack of perspicacity*

Hiro's name is...Hiro! His older brother's name is...Tadashi! Both are traditional male Japanese names. There are scenes of Japanese public buses, Japanese art, cherry trees...

OTOH, there are white and black characters and a bridge that looks suspiciously like San Francisco's bay bridge. OTOH, that twilight scene when they're flying over a city harbor looks a lot like Tokyo.

Ah, screw it. I'm Googling it.

*Does 10 seconds of research*

FOUND IT!

Plot

Set in a fictional metropolis called San Fransokyo (a portmanteau of San Francisco and Tokyo), a young robotics prodigy named Hiro Hamada and his robot Baymax uncover a criminal plot and pull together a team of inexperienced crime-fighters, including Wasabi, Honey Lemon, GoGo Tomago, and Fred to solve the mystery surrounding the crime.
Smart, really! Solves everything by coming up with a U.S./Japanese amalgam.

Basement Cat approves.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

[small]Basement Cat sulks at being ninja'd.[/small]

NightmareWarden

Jul 2, 2011
I know nothing about the history of Big Hero 6, but I like superhero movies and I enjoyed that trailer. Unfortunately I get the nagging feeling that the superhero element is sort of tacked-on to what could've been the story of Hiro moving on after the loss of his brother and the difficulties of dealing with robots instead of people in real life. Unless the rest of the team are complex characters I doubt I'll enjoy the latter half of that movie. Its a weird feeling...