Disney's Descendants: Teen Children of Famous Villains Go to School

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Disney's Descendants: Teen Children of Famous Villains Go to School

Move over, Mean Girls - Meet the sons and daughters of Jafar, Maleficent, The Evil Queen and Cruella DeVille

Disney Channel has revealed the first cast photo of the main characters in its upcoming TV movie (likely hoped to be the start of a franchise and/or series) Disney's Descendants, showing off a fierce foursome looking very much like modern-day incarnations of their (in)famous parents.

The film's high-concept premise takes place in Audoran, a modern day kingdom inhabited by the good characters from the Mouse House's animated fairytale films - having exiled the various defeated Disney villains to an island prison. The story's conceit is that the kingdom's new leader Ben, son of Queen Belle and King Beast, aims to mend fences with the baddies by allowing their teenage offspring the opportunity to attend an elite prep school that previously only admitted the "good guys'" kids.

The characters pictured (clockwise from top left) are Jay, son of Jafar, Carlos DeVille, Evie, daughter of Snow White's Evil Queen, and Mal, whose mom is having kind of a big year. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/9291-Maleficent-An-Unusual-Fairy-Tale-of-Revenge] Most of the actors are Disney Channel fixtures or newcomers, though you may recognize Booboo Stewart ("Jay,") from Twilight or X-Men: Days of Future Past.

The film will presumably be based around complications faced by the titular Descendants attempt to integrate with their classmates, many of whom are the children of their parents' heroic nemeses. Currently confirmed to appear are the aforementioned Ben, Fairy Godmother's daughter Jane, Sleeping Beauty's daughter Audrey, Cinderella's son Chad, Mulan's daughter Lonnie, and a character named Doug described as "the son of Dopey."

Directed by High School Musical's Kenny Ortega from a screenplay by writers from Desperate Housewives, Disney's Descendants is scheduled to debut in 2015.

Source: Slashfilm [http://www.slashfilm.com/first-look-descendants-cast/]

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
It's gonna bomb. I mean, don't get me wrong, I actually sort of like the concept, but still... doomed. I don't think it'll manage the sort of careful writing that'd be needed to show these characters as rough but still relatable, and bullies are not an appreciated group in this day and age (fortunately).

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
MovieBob said:
and a character named Doug described as "the son of Dopey."
Ohhhhhhhh, so THAT'S where
came from! It all makes sense now!

So what's gonna be the deal with the daughter of the Fairy Godmother? Is she going have reality-breaking magic powers?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Directed by High School Musical's Kenny Ortega from a screenplay by writers from Desperate Housewives...
And thats where i lost interest. Better luck next time Disney.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Oh lord, this is going to be one hell of a train wreck... and chances are, my girlfriend is going to force me to watch it.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Hey wow, we finally get to see what the theoretical spawn of Cruella and Sauron is like (order of the stick)

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
First question: WHAT?!

Second question: THE FUCK?!?

I honestly don't know what to make of this. This sounds more like fan-fiction you'd find online. Only Disney is serious in making this for real.

Is this going for drama but with some elements of humor or one of those God awful Disney comedies like Dog With a Blog? Or is everyone gonna bust out in song ala High School Musical?

My brain cannot process this right now.

roguewriter

May 9, 2011
Clearly I'm in the severe minority here, but I actually kind of dig this. Both the concept and how it looks. I mean, true, given the High School Musical connection and the fact that there is the direct connection to the Disney films I'm more than a little worried there are going to be moments where they burst into song (Please no), however if they can avoid that I think there's a really good chance this will work.

If it's one thing Disney has proven over the last couple of years it's taking crazy concepts and making them work. True there have been flubs (Tron Legacy, John Carter, Lone Ranger) but when it comes to most things under the Iger Regime it's been win after win. Even Maleficent, for all it's issues, has done quite well at the Box Office and in retail with it's various toys and other merchandise at high sales. Not the least of which is Disney long success record with live action shows on their specific cable networks.

And given how much I'm a fan of universes like 'Fables' and 'Ever After High' and, yes, even 'Once Upon A Time' I'd really like to see this work and succeed. So, yeah, hat's off to 'em. At the least the actors and their character designs look pretty great and very Marvel inspired.

lord's voken

Oct 9, 2011
i want to know who the other parent is.
or are they like clones of the one named parent?
that would make for an interesting story; the villians falling
in love and having a baby.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
...Okay, I admit I'm a curious (and more than a bit interested)... but I think I'm gonna have to wait and see how it turns out...

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Wow... So, Jafar actually got laid?
And Cruella as well?

Huh...

That said, I don't really watch live-action Disney stuff and the few things I did see I really disliked, so... Yeah.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
MovieBob said:
and a character named Doug described as "the son of Dopey."
I was all "nope nope nope" up to this point.

Now I'm going to drag all my friends to the theater.

Jeremy Dawkins

Oct 17, 2011
lord said:
i want to know who the other parent is.
or are they like clones of the one named parent?
that would make for an interesting story; the villians falling
in love and having a baby.
This. Who slept with Jafar? Before or after he became a Genie? Who would be dumb enough to sleep with a Disney villain? Also, all of the characters are from drastically different time periods and places so how do their kids go to the same school? Kingdom Hearts High?

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
You know what? I am not actually bothered by the concept. I'm not bothered by the cast, or the writers. That train wreck will sort itself out. Disney wants a Kids Bop version of Once, they can have it. Hell, worked for Equestria Girls. The only part in this that actually gets under my skin is calling Jafar's kid Jay. (Evie, short for Evil. Mal short for Malificent? Really, when you think about it, they're not named really). They really couldn't get a name that sounds like Jafar would actually have wrote on a birth certificate? Maybe Jaleel or Jabbaar or something..

By all logic Dopey's kid's name should be Dop if they continued on with this convention..

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
... This is the worst Idea I've ever heard! I mean... How did you come up with this terrible Idea first of all? Secondly, why are you going through with it? You're ruining Classic Villains by giving them lame kids! It's like when Shia LeBoufe was the lame son of Indiana Jones! Your just going to ruin classic Villains this way, not make them cooler.

Also, why would the evil Queen ever have a Daughter?! Her whole character in Snow White was I must be the prettiest woman in the Kingdom, and anyone who is a threat to me I must kill! Being the Prettiest Woman in the Kingdom, will mean your Daughter will eventually surpass you in looks, so she'd have to kill her (Unless she's an Ugly Inbred)!

This just blows my mind...

Attelia

Dec 23, 2009
This looks hilarious. I've long since stopped hoping for more Lizzie or Raven quality shows. If it wasn't a Disney Channel production, I would hope for some self-awareness or wit. The villains tend to be the more interesting characters in children's movies, anyway.

I certainly won't mind watching that Carlos Deville stud. Rawr.