Disney's Live Action Mulan Criticized For Crediting Agencies That Have Harmed The Uighur People

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Disney is under fire for shooting its new film Mulan in parts of China where the government is accused of serious human rights abuses.

The final credits thank a government security agency in Xinjiang province, where about 1m people - mostly Muslim Uighurs - are thought to be detained.

The film was already the target of a boycott after its lead actress backed a crackdown on Hong Kong protesters.

Disney has not commented on the row over the locations and the credits.

China says its detention camps in Xinjiang are necessary to improve security.

The live-action film, which is one of the biggest releases of the year, is a remake of the 1998 animated story of a young girl who takes her father's place in the army.

... on Monday, social media users noticed that in the credits Disney thanked a number of government entities in Xinjiang, including the public security bureau in the city of Turpan and the "publicity department of CPC Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomy Region Committee".

The public security bureau in Turpan is tasked with running China's "re-education" camps where Uighurs are held in detention, China expert Adrian Zenz told the BBC.

The "publicity department" named by Disney is responsible for producing state propaganda in the region, he adds.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
It makes me so happy so see this absolute turd of a movie trip and fall on its fucking face. Chinese propaganda, Disney trying to suck yuans straight from China's asshole, and the movie just being crap on its own: the holy trinity of terrible movies.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Yeeeeeeeeeep, heard about this. You can't just be apolitical filming there and thanking those entities even if that's what Disney probably thought it would try and do

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That's what you get for trying cozy up with racists or dictators. Wolfenstein II made this lesson in 2017. I guess Disney fell asleep. I don't have nor want Disney+, so they can have their rotten turd. When I last checked, not even Chinese movie going public love this film and hate it more than the West.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This won't change anything - China has the gold, so they get to make the rules.

It's only going to get worse. Just wait till the next batch of Marvel movies comes out.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
This won't change anything - China has the gold, so they get to make the rules.

It's only going to get worse. Just wait till the next batch of Marvel movies comes out.
A part of me is nervous about Shang Chi.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
A big 🤷‍♂️ from me. Disney not giving a flying shit about human rights is old news. Who do you think makes those Mickey Mouse hat ears:

A) a Bangladeshi sweatshop where women and children work over 14 hours a day and make 15 USD per week, or
B) Keebler elves

Seriously, I would bet good money that excavations would find bones somewhere under Disney World. The only things that differentiates the Mouse as a corporation from a mafia is image consultants and a marketing budget.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
Already saw the reviews and spoilers to know this movie mediocre at best. I'm just gonna wait until youtube uploads the avalanche scene.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
It's good manners to thank people and institutions that helped make the movie. Maybe they "should" have declined the help in the first place, but that kinda goes all the way back to not filming in China to begin with and thus not filming Mulan at all.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
What does anyone even expect from Disney? It was a rotten company, ever since Walt was still alive.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
It's good manners to thank people and institutions that helped make the movie. Maybe they "should" have declined the help in the first place, but that kinda goes all the way back to not filming in China to begin with and thus not filming Mulan at all.
Most of the movie was filmed in New Zeland ironically enough.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I like that Disney has managed to make a movie that both westerners and people in the PRC object to.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah, if you're going to 'tailor' it to the Chinese, why don't you find out what the Chinese lime
I don't think it's that, because weren't the Mark Wahlberg Transformers movies tailor made for China, and didn't they love those? I also think I heard it mentioned that chinese audiences are overly critical of Mulan movies in general, even their own.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I don't think it's that, because weren't the Mark Wahlberg Transformers movies tailor made for China, and didn't they love those? I also think I heard it mentioned that chinese audiences are overly critical of Mulan movies in general, even their own.
I think there is a big difference between appealing to a demographic and using that demographics own stories to try to make it big there

Even Baz Lurhmann, who is meant to be Australian, created the monstrosity that is the movie Australia which is not really like Australia at all... It's more like the US version of Australia. And then they wonder why it didn't do well at the box office

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Mythology, no matter the culture, has always been goofy and an invention of their age. Trying to do 'realistic' mythology, as in what if magical girls were real, was never going to work because magic isn't real. And at that point what arbitrary lines you draw on what counts as realism just become even more glaring.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Trying to do 'realistic' mythology, as in what if magical girls were real, was never going to work because magic isn't real. And at that point what arbitrary lines you draw on what counts as realism just become even more glaring.
A similar reason why I don't like super heroes trying for a "realistic" or grounded setting. Especially when super hero stories are made to shit on people for liking them or thinking they're some how better than the rest, because "deconstruction" or they have a 14-year old's understanding of nihilism. Fucking pathetic.