Martintox

Mister Disorder
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Martintox Presents: Disorder Reviews

Rating System

----

XBOX ONE VS. PLAYSTATION 4 VS. NINTENDO SWITCH

Seeing as we approach the start of the ninth generation of video game consoles with the release of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X later this year, it's as good a time as any to stoke the age-old flames of the console wars and assess what each of the leading system manufacturers have offered since 2012. It's safe to say that this has been the least "significant" generation, in the sense that there have been no particularly major developments or releases in the same vein as, say, the Sega Dreamcast. Instead, the big names of the industry have sought to refine what they had already built in the prior generation, with the help of more powerful and cost-effective computer components as well as ever-improving online infrastructure. In fact, what I would consider to be the most notable innovation of the 2010s, virtual reality, has only truly penetrated the consumer sphere in the second half of the decade, where the console lineup had mostly solidified, and it still has some way to go before it becomes a viable choice for the video game playing community at large.

Since each system in the eighth generation has a sensibly different purpose and development ethos behind it, the prospect of comparing each manufacturer's work is only a formality for the sake of inviting discussion. Thus, I find it appropriate to speak of each separately before offering a quick conclusion as to my preferences. In the case of Nintendo, I will neglect the Wii U in favor of focusing on the Switch, as it is no longer in production.

----

XBOX ONE

For some time after its release, I could not help but see the Xbox One as a weak continuation of the 360, with few meaningful additions beyond a revamp of Kinect that only served to reaffirm the ephemeral novelty of motion sensor technology. However, with the passing of time, it became clear that Microsoft's ambitions needed time to take shape, as their innovations don't lie in the system proper, but in its usage in relation with their other platforms. The most important part of this is the synchronicity between the Xbox One and Windows 10, where all "exclusive" games (such as Ori and the Blind Forest, easily the best platformer of this generation) are available on both platforms. The disappearance of console-based exclusivity is something that I have long awaited, and I profoundly appreciate that Microsoft have taken advantage of their presence in the world of personal computers to push this forward in a radical way. If that wasn't enough, they have also done major strides in the mobile market as well as in virtual reality, in no small part thanks to their early partnership with Oculus VR. While the console itself may not seem like much, the decisions surrounding it show that the company is willing to grow past the business practices that have plagued the industry in the past decades, and even facilitate console players' transition into the far-reaching world of PC gaming.

----

PLAYSTATION 4

It is understandable that Sony would not go down the same path as Microsoft has this generation, given their lack of presence in the PC market. In some regards, they have remained faithful to the ways of console gaming of the 2000s and prior, with the consumer-unfriendly standards that go with it. Even so, for the fourth time in a row, they have asserted themselves as the most powerful option for players and developers that remain tethered to the realm of consoles. There are few frills to the PS4's hardware; what matters is that it has games, and the power to support creators' visions. While it's regrettable that they would continue to pursue exclusives as a marketing tactic, it's hard to deny their sheer quality. Bloodborne, Gravity Rush 1 and 2, the Shadow of the Colossus remake, and the (now inaccessible) teaser P.T. are but a few of many additions to the ever-expanding lineup of PlayStation-only classics that have demonstrated, time and time again, the power of video games as an art form. The system's potential remains a far cry from what PCs can offer, but it will offer any neophyte player a striking glimpse into the opportunities of real gaming.

----

NINTENDO SWITCH

When I was young, I adored the SNES. It's easy to acknowledge Nintendo's draconian third-party policies of the time in hindsight, but you don't think about that as a kid: you see the vibrant color schemes, the plethora of environments to explore in games such as A Link to the Past, and it gets your imagination flowing. Unfortunately, whereas I have grown plenty since those days, the company has only stagnated. With the Switch, it's become clear that they still perceive video games as mere toys: their latest systems have all relied on gimmickry as a selling point, henceforth restricting developers and artists with all sorts of bizarre hardware and software architecture. When such a gimmick does hold water, it doesn't take long for their competitors to integrate them in a much more meaningful way. For that matter, let's not forget their reliance on classic IPs to entice long-time players. Sony's decision to seek out exclusive peripheral rights to fledgling titles such as Ico and Demon's Souls shows that they have long started to perceive video games as a legitimate medium through which a consumer is not simply entertained, but made to think of deeper existential notions. Nintendo's most solid claims to such a level of artistry stretch back to more than twenty years ago. It took them 7 years to finally have Dark Souls on one of their consoles; what were Nintendo players given during that time? Increasingly simplified versions of Pokemon, their equivalent to Call of Duty with an equally poisonous player community. Mind you, let's not be too hasty: for a family demographic, particularly younger children, the Switch's portable capabilities and accessible 1st party games do make it an adequate purchase and a solid entry into video gaming, before their tastes germinate and seek out more challenging titles of the likes of The Last of Us.

----

WHICH IS THE BEST?

Once again, it's hard to debate the superiority of a system above another when they all aim for different kinds of consumers. In fact, I would argue that each has a purpose for someone that sees consoles as a safer or more viable option. The Switch will be most appropriate for young players as a way to kick-start their interest in their formative years; if they have already grown past what Nintendo can offer, the PlayStation 4 is a perfect way for them to get a grip on the true possibilities of the medium. Finally, the Xbox One is the most mature option by far, as it can serve as a gateway into PC gaming. With this in mind, I feel it's better to see these systems as different steps in a player's evolution, as opposed to competing entities.

----​

Sneed's SeednFeed

Elite Member
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Azerbaijan
Where is mahjong, King? I think its revolutionary approach to bridging the divide of mobile and home entertainment is something that is the crowning achievement of the gaming industry. Unlike other platforms, mahjong provides the players the highest comfort and the greatest experiences, especially when its played in a dive bar in Seattle with a bunch of South Vietnamese who will cut your ear off if you start singing 'Ho Ho Ho Chi Minh'

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Oh man, someone's really not gonna like this review.

I don't agree that PC gaming is the epitome of the medium. Most of the best PC games can run on my low-end Dell Laptop that runs on an AMD A9-9420e chip and has no fans. Disco Elysium is probably the best PC game that came out last year and it's needs very little hardware to run. And most of the "complex" PC games that everyone said couldn't work on a controller like say the Divinity Original Sins play great on console. I'm currently playing Divinity 2 on the PC because of mods but on a PS4 controller and it plays great.Just about all the great PC games whether the resurgence of CRPGs or Cities Skylines or Shadow Tactics or XCOMs are on consoles now. It's starting to look like the opposite is the same with console games (1st Xbox, now PS) coming to PC.