District 9 Director Wants To Make District 10 (Eventually)

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
District 9 Director Wants To Make District 10 (Eventually)

Neill Blomkamp would like to return to the gritty world of prawns and apartheid metaphors, but it's probably going to be a while before we see District 10 in theaters.

Before he became a household name among gamers for his tentative, momentary involvement with that eternally-in-production live-action Halo film, director Neill Blomkamp helmed a movie called District 9 that was simultaneously a clever take on dirty sci-fi and a dark allegory detailing how apartheid tore South Africa apart for so many years. In an interview with IGN, Blomkamp reveals his desire to create a sequel to that film, then explains why it's not going to happen any time soon.

"I really want to make a District 9 sequel," Blomkamp states. "I genuinely do. The problem is I have a bunch of ideas and stuff that I want to make."

"I'm relatively new to this - I'm about to make my third film, and now the pattern that I'm starting to realise is very true is that you lock yourself into a film beyond the film you're currently working on."

"But it just doesn't work for me," he adds.

"I don't know if it works for other directors, but the amount of ideas and the amount of different places I want to go through the duration of making one film, means that I have no idea what else I want to do during that process. I only know at the end. So if I say I want to make District 10, and then I have 50 ideas while I'm making [Blomkamp's next film] Chappie, and when I get to the end I don't want to make it, it's not a good place to be at. But I know I want to make District 10 at some point."

Okay, so ... "eventually" then? Reporting on the thoughts of Hollywood types is always so rewarding.

Continuing the interview, IGN then asked Blomkamp if he'd be interested in directing a Star Wars film, since Disney is suddenly in the business of churning those things out on the regular. Blomkamp, in a surprising burst of humility, states that he doesn't want to work on Star Wars as he's "just not the right guy," and more crucially "taking ideas that already exist in Hollywood is just not for [him]."

A director who prefers to tell novel stories? That's a very pleasant thing to say, but again, Blomkamp was attached to that Halo film, so just to be safe let's assume his desire to create new fiction only goes so far when large corporations are tossing comically huge bags of cash his way.

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/12/district-9-director-discusses-star-wars-and-district-10]

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I really want there to be a sequel. I really enjoyed District 9 more than I thought I would honestly.

I was talking with some friends a while back about a sequel and we all agreed it should be called "District 10: The Adventures of Jiminy Cricket and Christopher Prawn." We're horrible people.

Also, for him to say that he's not all that into existing ideas in Hollywood is pretty ballsy for a director to say. Then again he is doing that Halo movie, so there's that.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
He didnt made the Halo movie because of the same reasons he doesnt want to do Star Wars, he already talked about it. And now that he has already proven himself with District 9 he really doesnt need to piggyback an already existing franchise to launch his career

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
josemlopes said:
He didnt made the Halo movie because of the same reasons he doesnt want to do Star Wars, he already talked about it. And now that he has already proven himself with District 9 he really doesnt need to piggyback an already existing franchise to launch his career
Actually he stated just this year he still wants to do a Halo film:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.405490-District-9-Director-Still-Interested-in-Halo-Film

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Woo!! South-African filmmakers FTW!! WOOOO!

I'm from South-Africa :p. I also loved District 9 and its execution. Here's to district 10 and 11, but not 12. After the fourth move, things turn sour...I'm lookin at you Lucas

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Korten12 said:
josemlopes said:
Actually he stated just this year he still wants to do a Halo film:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.405490-District-9-Director-Still-Interested-in-Halo-Film
If he gets creative control over it, it kind of falls down to the same reasons, he wants to tell something from him then simply translate a game into a movie

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Look at his first two movies: District 9 and Elysium. Both movies are set in a futuristic Sci-Fi setting with grittiness, corruption, a protagonist hero, and a huge mega-enemy to fight. Halo fits into the same plot point of his film with it's universe setting on Master Chief being the huge focus end-all to stop an alien mega-cult from wiping out humanity in it's search for the builders of the Halo devices.

It will be interesting to see what he has in store for Chappie, which is still playing on his Sci-Fi strengths, yet seems to be a comedy. Why a comedy? Don't know. They did a slightly comical robot in the video game Binary Domain, so maybe it'll be like that. If so, it's worth seeing.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I reaaaalllyyy enjoyed District 9 and I'm all in for a sequel, I've already watched that film 2 times, I just love it.

Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I was talking with some friends a while back about a sequel and we all agreed it should be called "District 10: The Adventures of Jiminy Cricket and Christopher Prawn." We're horrible people.
I almost spilled water to my screen. And I'd definitely watch that :p

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
SupahGamuh said:
I reaaaalllyyy enjoyed District 9 and I'm all in for a sequel, I've already watched that film 2 times, I just love it.

Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I almost spilled water to my screen. And I'd definitely watch that :p
I totally would too.

If they have actual names I'll be damned if I can remember what they were because we kept referring to them as such. :D

Falien

Nov 21, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
Before he became a household name among gamers for his tentative, momentary involvement with that eternally-in-production live-action Halo film, director Neill Blomkamp helmed a movie called District 9 [...]
If I remember my movie trivia correctly, it was sort of the other way round.

Specifically, I believe Neill Blomkamp was Peter Jackson's choice of director for the Halo movie Jackson was going to produce; when that movie was abandoned (because of Microsoft-related issues, if I recall correctly), Jackson decided to let Blomkamp make another movie in its place, on a more limited budget. Blomkamp decided to make District 9, which was based on his earlier short film Alive in Joburg.

<url=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1136608/trivia?item=tr0963003>Here is a relevant trivia link off IMDB.