Ditto Arrives in Pokemon GO

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Ditto Arrives in Pokemon GO

Ditto can disguise himself as any Pokemon. You may have already caught him and not realized!

Until now, several Pokemon have been un-catchable in Niantic's hugely popular Pokemon GO [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/pokemon%20go?os=pokemon+go]. They are Mewtwo, his three legendary bird counterparts: Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres, and... Ditto! Fans of the series will know that Ditto is a somewhat unorthodox Pokemon that has no battle power of his own, but can transform into any other Pokemon. So, his inclusion in Pokemon GO today is based around his special ability. Rather than simply spotting a Ditto out in the wild, he will disguise himself as another Pokemon, and only be revealed after he is caught. All those Pidgeys and Rattata's you've been ignoring could now be a Ditto!

"Ditto will only reveal its true self in place of the Pok?mon that you think you caught. When training or battling at a Gym, your Ditto copies the appearance, types, and moves of the first Pok?mon it encounters, and remains so throughout the rest of those battles," wrote Niantic in a press release.

You can see a video of an unsuspecting Ditto being caught to the right. Because he is only revealed after being caught, and because a lot of players will look away from their phones after catching a Pokemon they already have, there's quite a few instances of players having caught Ditto, and not even realizing!

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
They were there the whole time, people only just noticed.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Nooooo...! Game Theory just came out with a really cool episode explaining Pokemon Go! and Ditto's lack of being it. Now it is ruined! The world's end is now!

But anyway, this is pretty neat. Whoever came up with this idea of getting Ditto should get a raise.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Sniper Team 4 said:
Nooooo...! Game Theory just came out with a really cool episode explaining Pokemon Go! and Ditto's lack of being it. Now it is ruined! The world's end is now!

But anyway, this is pretty neat. Whoever came up with this idea of getting Ditto should get a raise.
Game Theory has been in a weird spot for me, it feels like he hit the same wall Mythbusters did. He had a slew of "what if" scenarios where he could do the math and give an interesting take on what would happen if the game took place in the real world.

Then he hit the gold mine of FNAF which is a game made to have players investigate a hidden backstory. But the theories in which he tries to squeeze out a hidden mystery from games, which don't have one, kind of fall flat on their face. Pokemon Go is just another theory from MattPatt where people start poking holes in those theories right off the bat.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Still haven't seen a reason why I should play Pokemon GO in place of my core Pokemon games which have ALL the pokemon, all the items, all the features, full versus multiplayer, and etc.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Oh good, this crushes MattPatt's attempts to make the App a part of the canon timeline. I thought the theory was tenuous at best when I watched it anyway. <.<

*Resumes playing Sun*

Scytail

Jan 26, 2010
Arnoxthe1 said:
Still haven't seen a reason why I should play Pokemon GO in place of my core Pokemon games which have ALL the pokemon, all the items, all the features, full versus multiplayer, and etc.
Riiight, all the Pokemon. Except that you need two games and two handhelds to get ALL the Pokemon. You pay full price for two games that are exactly the same except for slight differences in a small number of Pokemon and a different evil team.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Scytail said:
Riiight, all the Pokemon. Except that you need two games and two handhelds to get ALL the Pokemon. You pay full price for two games that are exactly the same except for slight differences in a small number of Pokemon and a different evil team.
I'm just as ticked off as you are [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.944613-Top-5-Biggest-Complaints-About-the-Core-Pokemon-Games], if not moreso about the whole "two games" thing. However at the end of the day, it's only a handful of pokemon that are kept from you and it doesn't discount all the features that I listed.

Although you can tell me what Pokemon GO offers that the core games do not besides a gimmicky AR setup for catching pokemon.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Rednog said:
Sniper Team 4 said:

Game Theory has been in a weird spot for me, it feels like he hit the same wall Mythbusters did. He had a slew of "what if" scenarios where he could do the math and give an interesting take on what would happen if the game took place in the real world.

Then he hit the gold mine of FNAF which is a game made to have players investigate a hidden backstory. But the theories in which he tries to squeeze out a hidden mystery from games, which don't have one, kind of fall flat on their face. Pokemon Go is just another theory from MattPatt where people start poking holes in those theories right off the bat.
Better than Film Theory where he keeps putting episodes into multiple parts because "no one watches longer episode".

Dr. Thrax

Dec 5, 2011
Scytail said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
I'm just as ticked off as you are [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.944613-Top-5-Biggest-Complaints-About-the-Core-Pokemon-Games], if not moreso about the whole "two games" thing.
Not true.
The Global Trade System allows you to get the 'Mons that are exclusive to the other games, and you might get one from a Wonder Trade. The easiest way to get the version exclusives, yes, you need both versions and two handhelds, but it's not impossible to get the exclusives without trading locally. Sure, trading on the GTS ain't the easiest, shitlords are constantly putting up stupid trades for legendaries, so you'll have to do some digging to find someone reasonable. The easiest method using the GTS would simply be to catch your version's exclusives and deposit them into the GTS for the other version's exclusive. Play the game, check back in a few hours or a day later, good chance you might get it.

The GTS was first introduced in Gen IV (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, plus HeartGold/SoulSilver), but it has pretty much removed the entire complaint of version exclusives and inability to acquire the remaining starters. The legendaries is where I will concede that it's difficult to get the other version's exclusives (like what happened with ORAS) without family/friends owning it. The only "easy" - and I'm using that term rather loosely - way to get the other legendaries for the later games would simply be to go through the game once, stash your 'Mons in the PokeBank, and then play through again. Catch the legendaries - again - and trade them over the GTS. But that requires the PokeBank subscription (which, thankfully, is very cheap), and the willingness to go through the entire game a second time.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Scytail said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Or... You could just have a friend...

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Maze1125 said:
Or... You could just have a friend...
Good luck finding one that plays the same version of pokemon AND has the pokemon you want AND is willing to trade it with you.

Dr. Thrax said:
The GTS was first introduced in Gen IV (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, plus HeartGold/SoulSilver), but it has pretty much removed the entire complaint of version exclusives and inability to acquire the remaining starters. The legendaries is where I will concede that it's difficult to get the other version's exclusives (like what happened with ORAS) without family/friends owning it. The only "easy" - and I'm using that term rather loosely - way to get the other legendaries for the later games would simply be to go through the game once, stash your 'Mons in the PokeBank, and then play through again. Catch the legendaries - again - and trade them over the GTS. But that requires the PokeBank subscription (which, thankfully, is very cheap), and the willingness to go through the entire game a second time.
The GTS doesn't exist for the GBA games and below.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Their next update should either be Generation 2 Pokemon or make it so that people who live in the rural middle of nowhere can look forward to something more than Rattatas, pidgey, and the occasional Bulbasuar.

Seriously. I just got back from CA and the amount of Growlithes, Psyducks, and Sandshrew taken for granted there is surreal for me. It didn't matter if those dogs were as numerous as the rattatas back home- I caught every one that came in my sight. Because hell if I was ever gonna see one when I got home.