Divinity Original Sin 2 Preview - A World You'll Lose Yourself In

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Divinity Original Sin 2 Preview - A World You'll Lose Yourself In

Divinity: Original Sin was, to a large extent, everything I hate about open-world RPGs, which was, ironically, what I liked so much about it.

Read Full Article

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
That first paragraph bothered me perharps a little too much. I'm sorry, but D:OS clearly tells you what to do, you just probably got sidetracked by stealing everything that isn't nailed down, and forgot your unavoidable talk with the wizard. :D

And it's pretty linear early on, since the game's subtle way of nudging you to the right direction is kicking your teeth in with higher level monsters just few steps away from the door.

Sep 14, 2009
Imre Csete said:
That first paragraph bothered me perharps a little too much. I'm sorry, but D:OS clearly tells you what to do, you just probably got sidetracked by stealing everything that isn't nailed down, and forgot your unavoidable talk with the wizard. :D

And it's pretty linear early on, since the game's subtle way of nudging you to the right direction is kicking your teeth in with higher level monsters just few steps away from the door.
ehh..I would say the first 30-45 minutes are linear, then if you don't talk/find the right people in the right order, it's really easy to just run around with your head chopped off, there were in fact things I completely missed in my first playthrough, not because I meant to, but because I had no idea they were there, I feel like after you get through that first area and into the witches forest or whatever it's called, it picks up on direction again alot more.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I feel your pain about the beginning of Original Sin. You get that epic fight on the beach, and then you get into town and it just...stops. Go here, talk to this person. Go there, talk to that person. Go there and charm that person. Go over here and look for this person. Convince these two to stop fighting. Tell the two guards what to do with the orc. It was a wall to get over doing all that stuff, and it's very easy to get overwhelmed and then totally forget what you're supposed to be doing, or what questioning this person about their cat has anything to do with finding the murderer.

But once you got out of that town, the game leveled out I feel, so I'm hoping they manage to find that balance sooner in the second one.

One of biggest complaints from the first game was the co op. My friend and I bought this game, thinking we could do the whole thing together. Needless to say, we quickly lost interest in playing together when we found out only one of us was progressing the story in their game, getting the trophies, and basically enjoying the game. As soon as player two went back to their own game, all the progress was lost, so co op was more of "I'm hiring you to help me, but you don't get any rewards for your work" than actual co op. Please tell me they have fixed this for the sequel.