DIY Engineer Puts Game Boy Advance SP Innards in Original Game Boy Case

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
DIY Engineer Puts Game Boy Advance SP Innards in Original Game Boy Case

What do you do when your old Game Boy finally craps out? Take out its insides and put a Game Boy Advance SP in its place, of course.

Case mods and hardware hacking is just not my forte, but I love to hear about the engineering exploits of others. A hacker by the name of Jackson had an original Game Boy that had stuck with him for years, but he was wondering what to do with it when it dies. He got the idea of taking out all of the components and replacing them with the hardware from a Game Boy Advance SP. The screen is color instead of monochrome and the processor is way more powerful. He made sure to line up the cartridge slot, but the new Frankenstein Game Boy uses the buttons, speakers and switches of the original case. All in all, Jackson did a wonderful job updating the 1989 Game Boy to at least 2003 (when the DS Advance came out.)

[gallery=67]

Kudos to Jackson for pulling it off. While it's not quite so amazing as MacGyver making a bomb with an avocado and a hamster, the ability to mod electronics is something that will always impress me.

Now, maybe I can get Jackson to fix my Samsung monitor that starting flickering on and off a few months ago. I know that it's just a capacitor or something that's fried but I don't have the chops to take apart the case and solder a new one on.

Source: Hack a Day [http://moddedbybacteria.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=949]

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
for the most part it is cool that the original case is intact but the lack of shoulder buttons would bother me to much to want this myself.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
As interesting as it is...there's no L and R buttons making this a very useless GBA.

I do love my retro stuff but usefulness counts for a lot when it don't work.

Dec 14, 2009
Reminds of the pre-backlight era. Want to play your Gameboy in a room with little to no light? Tough shit! Until, of course, the ridiculous peripherals were released...

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Greg Tito said:
All in all, Jackson did a wonderful job updating the 1989 Game Boy to at least 2003 (when the DS Advance came out.)
The Game Boy Advance SP came out in 2003 ;)

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
Tenmar said:
Wait how does the L and R buttons work then?
That's question number one on my list with this. Question two would be, how can you expect that to last under conditions? After all, the cartridge receiver is fully exposed, unlike any of the other GBAs. However, that's just me nitpicking. It's quite a feat to have that functional.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
While I commend Jackson for this technical feat, this wouldn't be very practical in actual use. Afterall, the original Game Boy is far bulkier compared to the SP and the lack of shoulder buttons is a problem when trying to play GBA games.

A nice experiment, but I think I will just stick to my Micro.

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
This isn't a hack too good. The cartridges of the original GB work with advance hardware, and won't line up in this version.

EDIT: And also, the "misaligned screws" on the sides are actually the shoulder buttons.

Having to use screws instead of keeping the original look already moves this hack from "eh" to "more eh".

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
Can I just ask "Why?".. it's not as if it's "totally rad, man".. it's a botch job with missing functionality.

So again.. "Why?".. and why is it news?

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
So where's the L and R buttons and the link cable slot? If the guy could put those on I'd send him my SP and Gamboy and AU$100 to mod mine.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Sorry but I'm not all that impressed with this one. With all the extra screws sticking out, the sunk-in screen, and the top of the cartridge popping out, I'd have to say that all he did is ruin a perfectly good GBASP to create something that's not perfectly good at all.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I wonder where did he put the L and R buttons... they're fairly important for GBA games, but if the pourpose of this monstruosly awesome piece of engineering geekiness was to only play original GB and GBC games, then I'm cool with that.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Ah, case mods. You think the world would've realized them as pointless by no-

Greg Tito said:
All in all, Jackson did a wonderful job updating the 1989 Game Boy to at least 2003 (when the DS Advance came out.)
What.

Semudara

Oct 6, 2010
Funny, I never heard of the DS Advance.

Anyway, more pictures of the screen would have been nice. That's what has me the most curious about this creation: how the visuals actually look on the old GameBoy screen.

Voodoomancer

Jun 8, 2009
Semudara said:
Funny, I never heard of the DS Advance.

Anyway, more pictures of the screen would have been nice. That's what has me the most curious about this creation: how the visuals actually look on the old GameBoy screen.
I think he used the Advance's screen.

And yeah, this thing is awesome.