DJ Hero Devs Won't Make DJ Hero Forever

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
DJ Hero Devs Won't Make DJ Hero Forever

FreeStyleGames is happy to work on DJ Hero for now, but it doesn't want to do music games forever.

Later this year, developer FreeStyleGames will release DJ Hero [http://www.amazon.com/DJ-Hero-Stand-Alone-Software-Xbox-360/dp/B003QOWPWS/ref=sr_1_5?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1286919708&sr=1-5], which was also a hip-hop/techno/electronica/dance/whatever music game from FreeStyleGames. With the slow-burning success of the DJ Hero series, clearly, FreeStyleGames has found its niche in which to thrive, right?

Not so much, creative director Jamie Jackson told CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=269294]. The developer made other types of games before DJ Hero, and it wants to make other types of games after DJ Hero, too.

"As a developer I've worked on Colin McRae Rally, I cut my teeth on driving games," said Jackson. "We went on and made rhythm action games around break-dancing, it was almost like a combination between Street Fighter and a rhythm action game." The studio had also been in the middle of developing a sports title when it had joined up with Activision to make DJ Hero, he said.

"Yes, DJ Hero is our idea, our baby, it's in our blood and we really care about it. As a developer though we're diverse," said Jackson. "[We] can do a lot of different things and I'd hate to say we're going to do this forever because I don't think we will."

At the moment, finishing work on DJ Hero 2 was the studio's focus, said Jackson. But after that? Who knows? "[We don't know] what is going to happen next year, but it's exciting and at the same time I definitely want to do other things in the future."

Best of luck, guys. Better hope you've earned one of those new IPs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103822-Kotick-New-IPs-Arent-Given-Away-Theyre-Earned] ol' B.K. was talking about.

(CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=269294])

Get_A_Grip_

May 9, 2010
Well at least the DJ section of the music game genre won't become saturated...

This is good.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Only rhythm/plastic peripheral game I've been interested in.

I guess you can probably tell why.

Josh Kurber

Jul 5, 2010
Mezmer said:
IMO this should never have been made in the first place. I mean cmon. DJ Hero? Really? bah.
Just wait. Soon, once a year, you'll have a new Guitar Hero, new Rock Band, Banjo Hero, Flute Hero, Harpsichord Hero, and Auto-Tune Hero.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Mezmer said:
IMO this should never have been made in the first place. I mean cmon. DJ Hero? Really? bah.
Josh Kurber said:
Mezmer said:
Just wait. Soon, once a year, you'll have a new Guitar Hero, new Rock Band, Banjo Hero, Flute Hero, Harpsichord Hero, and Auto-Tune Hero.
Did you ever play the game?

It was absolutely great. For everyone who complains that the music game genre is stale and always the same, it was a breath of fresh air.

Josh Kurber

Jul 5, 2010
John Funk said:
Mezmer said:
Josh Kurber said:
Mezmer said:
Did you ever play the game?

It was absolutely great. For everyone who complains that the music game genre is stale and always the same, it was a breath of fresh air.
I never said the game was bad. I am just saying, that these "music" games are popping out more and more. And they will soon run out of enough ideas that they'll start pulling random instruments out of the air.

I mean, isn't there supposed to be a Drum Hero, or Bongo Hero or some crap?

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
It's nice to see at least one company is realistic about the future of a particular genre. You can only take an idea so far before jumping the shark, and while they are still a safe distance from that point, it's great they are thinking about doing other things instead of depending solely on this single idea to carry the company as far as it will go before everyone is completely over it and they are left with a facepalm wondering what to do next.