DNC selects convention committees, signals that progressives aren't wanted.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

The people who are to write up the official DNC platform for 2020 is exactly what you would expect of the DNC, a pit of corporate interests and incestuous power players, with a single progressive voice.

Any thoughts that you might have for the Democrats representing you should be gone by this point. They'd rather be Republicans.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
You're still trying to get trump elected even after all this shit?

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
You're still trying to get trump elected even after all this shit?
Currently my Bingo card reads “No more presidents 2020” and I am sticking to it.
Current best conspiracy theory is the DNC doesn't want to be holding the bag when everything falls to shit, since they know they can't fix 2021 without going against their core values, so they'd rather let the Republicans win and take the heat for everything going wrong.
If anyone will be holding the bag, it’s gonna be the DNC. Either they decide to give zero contest to the incoming voter suppression, or we experience the bluest election ever. There could always be no election though.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Current best conspiracy theory is the DNC doesn't want to be holding the bag when everything falls to shit, since they know they can't fix 2021 without going against their core values, so they'd rather let the Republicans win and take the heat for everything going wrong.
Yeah. Just a shame they're up against the worst president in a lifetime: they might be forced to win this one without some truly awesome efforts to spill it.

In a way, it also explains why they're particularly overrun with corporate interests. They'll all be piling in on the likely winner so they can purchase repayable favours.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Aaaaaa yes, the horrible terrible strategy of "selecting a platform that might actually be supported by centrist in purple state", obviously the democrat just want to lose. Everyone know you win the presidential election by racking up as much vote in LA and NYC and just ignoring most of the electoral college vote.

Reactions: Tireseas

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
As appealing as the theory might appear, the vast majority of people will have no awareness of who sits on the committees, or what corporate past they have, and it'll have zero impact on the voting intentions of 99%+ of the American voterbase. It's a shitty and unwise move, but not for that reason.

I notice these are nominees, by the way. Can someone tell me whether they've actually been confirmed? I can't seem to find that with a quick search.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States

The people who are to write up the official DNC platform for 2020 is exactly what you would expect of the DNC, a pit of corporate interests and incestuous power players, with a single progressive voice.

Any thoughts that you might have for the Democrats representing you should be gone by this point. They'd rather be Republicans.
They've been gone a long time now. Hence why I registered as a Progressive.

It's still a two person race at this time. Progressives are making strides despite the DNC's best efforts.

Still voting for Biden because anything else is a Vote for Trump. I detest the Democrats less than I abhor Trump. And I make no bones about it seeing what America is now and knowing that it was stewarded into place by that man. De Facto the worse choice there is.

By the way, this article was posted in Jan 28th. Is there an update about this that I didn't know about? Or did you just come across it now. There's no wrong answer or judgement, I was just wondering why it was brought up at this time.

Reactions: Tireseas

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Aaaaaa yes, the horrible terrible strategy of "selecting a platform that might actually be supported by centrist in purple state", obviously the democrat just want to lose. Everyone know you win the presidential election by racking up as much vote in LA and NYC and just ignoring most of the electoral college vote.
It'll never stop being amazing how well the propaganda has worked that results in the belief that purple states really love corporate lobbyists and the various policies they support.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
It'll never stop being amazing how well the propaganda has worked that results in the belief that purple states really love corporate lobbyists and the various policies they support.
I'm not sure they much like progressives either, though.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
As appealing as the theory might appear, the vast majority of people will have no awareness of who sits on the committees, or what corporate past they have, and it'll have zero impact on the voting intentions of 99%+ of the American voterbase. It's a shitty and unwise move, but not for that reason.

I notice these are nominees, by the way. Can someone tell me whether they've actually been confirmed? I can't seem to find that with a quick search.
While people won't know who the drafting committee is, they'll see the policies their aiming for and it's the policies nobody likes.

And here's a more recent article showing that the DNC is still on track to being overrun with terrible policies.

I'm not sure they much like progressives either, though.
That one's hard. The ongoing theme is that progressive policies are widely popular even among Republicans, until you call them what they're called in the media. For example expanding Medicare to cover everyone is popular among all voting groups, but Medicare for All loses support among Republicans.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States

Now, the funny part about this is "...racking up as much vote in LA and NYC and just ignoring most of the electoral college vote..." is exactly the campaign strategy chosen by the Clinton campaign in 2016, when she elected to not campaign heavily in battleground states, ignored state parties' and campaign managers' warnings whilst having skived them of critical campaign resources, rendering her critically weak in them and allowing the Trump campaign to out-play her in every key state. And when her campaign finally did realize the catastrophic weakness too late, their attempt to shore up was much too little, and comically incompetent to the point of insulting voters.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
*Prepares multiple sick bags*

It could be worse I spose, it could be a world without access to alcohol and sweet numbing drugs to get us through all this.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Progressives need to make a concerted push to fill the DNC with more progressives. That makes progressives extremely hard to ignore.
Engels' head wasn't the only one collected last night, just the most prominent one in a race already called and by far the most satisfying one considering the 11th hour endorsements by major conservative Democrats up to and including Clinton. AOC absolutely crushed whatshername, Mondaire Jones won, and so did Rashid despite being unlikely to win in November. Full results won't be in until next week, but Booker stands an excellent shot at actually beating McGrath given the precincts already reporting in Kentucky, as her current reported lead may not cover gains Booker will make in Louisville and Frankfurt.

Next week is the contest between Romanoff and Hickenlooper in Colorado, too, and Hickenlooper is in seriously deep shit right now considering his recent racially-charged statements, numerous ongoing corruption investigations (three now I think), support from the fossil fuels industry and pledges to blockade climate change legislation, and the dark/GOP money pouring into the race supporting him. That the Democratic party is at all still supporting Hickenlooper in the face of a progressive challenger, does nothing but speak to how far gone the party really is.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Engels' head wasn't the only one collected last night, just the most prominent one in a race already called and by far the most satisfying one considering the 11th hour endorsements by major conservative Democrats up to and including Clinton. AOC absolutely crushed whatshername, Mondaire Jones won, and so did Rashid despite being unlikely to win in November. Full results won't be in until next week, but Booker stands an excellent shot at actually beating McGrath given the precincts already reporting in Kentucky, as her current reported lead may not cover gains Booker will make in Louisville and Frankfurt.

Next week is the contest between Romanoff and Hickenlooper in Colorado, too, and Hickenlooper is in seriously deep shit right now considering his recent racially-charged statements, numerous ongoing corruption investigations (three now I think), support from the fossil fuels industry and pledges to blockade climate change legislation, and the dark/GOP money pouring into the race supporting him. That the Democratic party is at all still supporting Hickenlooper in the face of a progressive challenger, does nothing but speak to how far gone the party really is.
I'm curious about what's going on here. Could you give me some context on who many of these people are? Aside from AOC and Clinton, I don't recognize those names.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
That one's hard. The ongoing theme is that progressive policies are widely popular even among Republicans, until you call them what they're called in the media. For example expanding Medicare to cover everyone is popular among all voting groups, but Medicare for All loses support among Republicans.
Until you mention that tax need to be raised, at which point support for them collapse.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Until you mention that tax need to be raised, at which point support for them collapse.
Well, no, actually

That's not what turns people off about M4A, especially when the plans for how to pay for it get explained and the specter of "it'll raise taxes" gets put to rest.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Well, no, actually

That's not what turns people off about M4A, especially when the plans for how to pay for it get explained and the specter of "it'll raise taxes" gets put to rest.
Find a state by state breakdown and we can talk, remember the DNC already won NYC and CA, they need to win the mid west/Florida.

Also it sounds like that poll was conducted with a two step question, ie Q1 "do you support national health plan" and Q2 "why/why not?" which is not the same as having the first question being "do you support national heath plan in exchange for a large increase in taxation".