Do europeans dislike americans?

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
i echo the OP really... my teenage time spent occasionally troubling alt.america.die.die.die was fun, but never really for serious. like a lot of other countries, i find a lot of things and people in the states to be utterly awesome, and some things to be completely detestable, but most is either unknown or "meh". it's a balance. having blind hatred of any country or nationality is a stupid, bigoted thing.

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
Hazzaslagga said:
Many americans and many American related things i do dislike but the actual average american s are alright, it's just a few that give them their bad name and their government over the last few years. However this still dosen't stp me making jokes about them and for any americans on the escapists i do humbly apologise(it's all in good fun).
lol hell I could care less if you made fun of americans (I'm an american myself) All in good humor my friend :)

SwitchUK

Jan 19, 2010
I am European, well british... so not normally liking to be associated with mainland Europe but I don't hate america. Its quite nice actually. I went to New York recently and had a merry old time.

Earthbound

Aug 13, 2008
I think the difference between what Europeans think of Americans and what Americans think of what Europeans think of Americans is that we just don't care about your opinions. We're perfectly happy being the least liked country in the world, if it ever comes to that. For us, it's not about pleasing the world; it's about doing the best job we can, regardless of public relations. Sure, we don't always get it right, but we could care less that the rest of the world dislikes us for taking action.

Tell me, are we in the wrong for that? Also, should we care if you think so?

ostro-whiskey

Aug 23, 2009
Alot of continental Europeans do hate America because of its intrusive media and political and moral lecturing and strong arm assholeness. This said many Americans dont have control over this and arent treated with hostility as much as contempt, because they are not free from blame for the actions of their nation.

The attitude is more along the lines of, do Europeans hate Americans - they dont care.
If an American was in strife in a European city - the locals would likely not help and sleep easy at night.

This is atleast my experience with German relatives and friends.

Chris8016

Jan 20, 2010
Its impossible to hate America, in the words of Churchill,

'You count on America to do the right thing, after it has tried everything else first.'

Every country makes its slip-ups, just some have them more widely broadcasted to the rest of the world. I mean look over here in Britain, we've managed to let an unelected leader mess up the country for the past 5 years.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I have lots of American friends. Sure my friends all happen to be astonishingly ugly (which is odd - I'm pretty sure the standard rates of attractiveness are much higher in the US then they are in Hull) and they have a tendency to not get my jokes straight away - but besides those niggling issues, they're a great bunch.

I think it is just the way of the World that countries should despise whoever appears to be in te driving seat when it comes to World politics. In this case, America has the greatest influence when it comes to Western politics, so invariably the rest of the western nations get crabby when America appears to be making the descisions. This is probably typical amoung smaller nations that surround/affiliate with a significantly larger, more powerful one.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
i have my own reasons why i dislike america (disclamier - this is my honest personal opinion)

We can all agree that 9/11 was a terrible tradigy, but america must of known somthing like this was going to happen sooner or later. Terrorist attacks are what happen's when your cultural infulence is strong and provoking to other countries (im sure their are many people in countries around the world who would think americans are terrorists and a evil to the world). I do not share this opinion but it seems a possible one.

...and with 9/11 comes war. Us brits did not have a pure concrete reason to go to war (america might of had but we didn't) and unlike america who have been in many pointless wars (vietnam, japan ect) we only go to war as a final resort when all possible options have depleted and as a country, have no choice. It was the first time we ever got dragged into a war because of america (and Tony blair for that matter) and its the reason that many of our brilliant soliders (even as we speak) are getting blown to pieces. So far five hundred british soilders have died in afganistan because of a pointless war that america started.

well that's my two cents (or two pence)

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
I try not to be biased or judge people before I know them. America does have a stereo-type of being insular, overly religious and constantly meddling in the affairs of other countries, but I always try to judge each individual by their own merits.

Earthbound

Aug 13, 2008
Jazoni89 said:
and unlike america who have been in many pointless wars (vietnam, japan ect)
I was under the impression that Japan destroyed 90% of our navy's battleships, killed thousands of our servicemen, and had allied with death camp-creating empires. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

orc1231515

Mar 18, 2010
Earthbound said:
Jazoni89 said:
and unlike america who have been in many pointless wars (vietnam, japan ect)
I was under the impression that Japan destroyed 90% of our navy's battleships, killed thousands of our servicemen, and had allied with death camp-creating empires. Thanks for clarifying that for me.
I think he ment the vietnam and korea war, which where both after wo2 and in both casses america was the agressor with the goal of freeing the inhabitants of communism. I consider the war against japan after pearl harbor as defending oneself so. oh and the death camps in korea and vietnam weren't there untill after the americans arived so that argument doesn't realy stick. could be wrong though.

Earthbound

Aug 13, 2008
orc1231515 said:
oh and the death camps in korea and vietnam weren't there untill after the americans arived so that argument doesn't realy stick. could be wrong though.
Was referring to Nazi Germany. They were the main supplier of death camps in the Second World War.

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
My friend went to Italy, and I guess she was kinda lucky since she's black. She and her family pretended to be Jamaican cuz the people there hated Americans so much.

A lot of 'em never even met Americans, they just hate us out of basis. It's pretty stupid.

But majority of the European people on this site are pretty cool, but the internet is way different than irl.

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
What America has is a large population. The more people the greater the chance there'll be people you dislike and have opinions you disagree about. So yeah I hate racism and overly conservative religious views and the people that express these ideas irritate the hell out of me. But people with those views aren't limited to America.

America is just unfortunate that it has some very negative stereotypes. Stereotypes in general aren't good, but compared to Japanese sex fetishes and Europeans ridiculous dance music they have it pretty bad.

Anyway I thought hating on America went out of fashion a couple of years ago.