Do Famitsu Scans Show Okami DS Sequel Okamiden?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Do Famitsu Scans Show Okami DS Sequel Okamiden?

Last week, rumors spread after Capcom discreetly registered the name Okamiden - and now scans from Japanese game mag Famitsu might confirm the existence of the Nintendo DS sequel to the critically acclaimed Okami.

Despite heavy critical acclaim and a devoted cult fanbase, Okami failed to live up to the adoration sales-wise, and developer Clover Studios shut its doors not long thereafter. However, last week's revelation that Capcom had trademarked "Okamiden" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94182-New-Okami-in-the-Works] reignited fans' hopes that the series wouldn't be dead after all.

Now, scans of the latest Famitsu issue [http://wiieveryday.blogspot.com/2009/09/famitsu-20090903.html] seem to confirm the game's existence - or at least, it confirms a sequel to Okami on the DS, since we can't see the name in the scan. Still, if Capcom happened to be working on an unrelated game called Okamiden at the same time it had a studio working on another Okami title, that's a massive (and unlikely) coincidence.

It's hard to imagine a better platform for the game, actually. Assuming they keep the same "paintbrush" concept from the first game, what better way to control it than with a stylus?

(Via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/01/rumor-famitsu-scans-show-ds-okami-sequel-okamiden/])

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Those Famistu guys really know what they're doing don't they? Alot of news stories on here start with "Scans from Famitsu show..."

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Diablini said:
I heard Okami was a great and epic game. But, Capcom?
I hope Capcom hires on some people from Clover to handle it, if not then I shall be sad. But I don't have a DPS anyway, so I'm out in the cold regardless.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Wow this is great news DS-wise, not quite as good as Soul Silver (for me anyway) but this is still great. Okami's one of the best games I've played on the Wii (third only to smash bros and Mario kart)

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
It doesn't look like it at first from the screens but there are some small details here and there that show it's an okami game.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Sparrow Tag said:
Those Famistu guys really know what they're doing don't they? Alot of news stories on here start with "Scans from Famitsu show..."
They've got the publisher cocks so deep in their throat they get insider scoops before everyone else. Famitsu is wearing massive moneyhats.

Worsle

Jul 4, 2008
While the ds stylus would work well for the painting other than that I can't help but thing it is a poor choice. The visuals and the music held a lot of charm for me and from those screens the visuals are clearly lacking and I will be very surprised if the music is any better. Then again with the clover team is gone so its not like I was holding out much hope anyway.

CoverYourHead said:
Diablini said:
I heard Okami was a great and epic game. But, Capcom?
I hope Capcom hires on some people from Clover to handle it, if not then I shall be sad. But I don't have a DPS anyway, so I'm out in the cold regardless.
Not a chance after they shut down clover they have all jumped ship. Most are working for platinum games, with Bayonetta being the next game from the man behind Okami.