Do I deserve to be spat on for saying this to a gay person?

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Free speech is basically universally accepted in all western countries and homophobia would fall under that. Its just a though, this creeps me out it doesn't feel comfortable. However that little incident could have just as easily been a straight couple... just be glad they didn't go any farther the just making out ha.

Apr 28, 2008
homosexuality had nothing to do with it. You went to see a movie, and politely asked them to stop. The guy who spit is a jackass. Plain and simple.

Citizen.Erased

May 19, 2009
That looks like a massive overreaction. Nobody would spit in anyone's face because of that, it just sounds like there's something missing from the story. Maybe he didn't ask as politely as he said he did or he added some colorful commentary.

DaMan1500

Jul 10, 2009
I think that the two guys over-reacted. Watching two people make out at the movies is distracting regardless of who's doing it, and they should have just moved to the back where no one would see them.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
The real question is, given the price of movie tickets these days, what sensible person would use a theater to make-out? It's not the 1980s anymore.

Personally, if my primary goal is getting some, I would just opt for streaming Netflix - why pay a premium to smooch when you can be a cheap-ass and f**k like bunnies?

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
MizPiz said:
Spitting wouldn't be my personal choice (a bit of an overreaction, I'd probably just continue to kiss, maybe be a bit more passionate about it), but yeah, your friend should have just ignored it.
Really? No offense, but I hope I never see a movie where your in the theater.

OT: People making out during movies is a big pet peeve of mine. I didn't pay to see/hear two teens with trouble keeping their hormones in check, I paid too enjoy a movie. If two people sitting near me start making out, I politely (but I still make sure they know that I mean it) tell them to stop. So far, they always have, without incident, and yes, one time they were a gay couple.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
If it happened as you say it happened, and don't have intolerance to the lifestyle, then you (your friend) are clean. Either way, I don't think anyone necessarily needed to be spat on, sounds like that guy was kind of a dick.

Oskar K

Feb 21, 2010
Well... I would probally do the same thing (as them to stop) but if they spat in my face I would probally kick them in the head or something.. And makeup an excuse if ; two gay guys made out and it was annoying to I told them and of one them spat in my face. doesn't work.

ty12004

Feb 24, 2009
Well there will be jerk couples no matter where you go... I do agree that what the couple in the front did to your friend was an overreaction.

I had a friend "come out" one day and it wasnt all that weird.. I just told him my stance on it. "You could **** toasters for all I care... as long as you dont make me sit and watch".. Don't think that was the reaction he had hoped for, haha.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Doesn't seem any more obnoxious to me than, say, asking someone to stop checking their phone during a movie or stop chatting. Assuming that your friend was as polite about it as he says, he didn't do anything wrong.

Shynobee

Apr 16, 2009
I agree with your friend on this one. He did nothing wrong, and its only because of stupid double standards that he will be made to look like the bad guy here.

Paleghost

Feb 25, 2010
Jedoro said:
Who the hell sits down front to make out? I take my girl to the top row, like a courteous couple.
I agree, this sounds like these guys were trying to get this reaction out of someone. I don't mind making out during a movie, and do it quite often, but I keep it out of view. I think they were hoping he'd say something

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Its the exact same thing if he had gotten into a fight with a straight couple. Except they were both strong and hairy.

I would have been pissed if it was a guy and a girl, so don't ask me.

BTW: It doesn't sound like you both have a problem with gay people. It sounds like you have a problem with Flamers. And just because you are a flamer doesn't mean you are gay.

Mother Yeti

May 31, 2008
James Joseph Emerald said:
But one thing was that it always creeped me out to see guys kiss. I don't think I'm really alone on this. It's like the equivalent of watching someone pick their nose. It's just... eew. It's not something I have any control over, it just disturbs me on a fundamental level. People have been throwing slogans around like "homosexuality isn't a choice, but homophobia is", and I'd have to say that if being a bit disgusted by men kissing is homophobic, then it really isn't a choice. If I had a choice, I wouldn't choose to be disgusted by anything.
Your disgust at seeing men kiss is homophobia, no other way to look at it (note that you said men specifically, not women or heterosexual couples). As for that slogan, it doesn't mean that people choose to be homophobic to begin with (like most biases, homophobia is a product of societal and cultural attitudes), but rather that people can choose to NOT be homophobic once they've been made aware of their biases.

(On a side note, I always hated the word "homophobe". 'Homos' means 'one and the same', so 'homophobia' would technically mean 'a pathological fear of things staying the same')
Give me a break. The term was coined specifically to describe psychological aversion to homosexuality - it has never meant anything else. Taking issue with the etymology is silly and detracts from real issues.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I'd say your friend was perfectly justified, those guys should have stopped because regardless of what they think is their right it's not on to make someone else uncomfortable, I don't care if you're gay or not don't do that infront of people that don't like it, that's just common courtesy.

Your friend wasn't being intolerant, they were.

Eisenfaust

Two horses in a man costume
Apr 20, 2009
it sort of seems like they were assuming you were being homophobic, regardless of whether or not you were... though i agree in the sense that it's a little distracting, and it doesn't necessarily have to be gay guys, it can just be any random combination of people kissing (gratuitously) in public that... skeeves me out... i dunno

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
He was completely justified. So long as he didn't say something offensive towards them.

mikekearn

Erudite Loquaciousness
Aug 27, 2008
Gay, straight, or anything else, I hate people who snog in theaters. If I pay 12 dollars to see a movie, I expect to be able to watch it without interruption. I will go a step further, though, and actually complain to an employee if someone is being disruptive. Whether it's snogging, talking, having a crying baby, texting, whatever. Either the theater makes that person leave, or I want my money back. Given that I go to movies often enough that several of the people at my local theater recognize me, I can usually get what I want. Maybe it's elitist. Frankly, for the amount of money I spend, I don't care.

ajemas

Nov 19, 2009
I think that your friend was justified. Even if it was a heterosexual couple making out in the middle of a movie, I would also ask them to stop. Unless it was two girls, of course. (Joke!)
The spitting thing was quite an overreaction, and I can't believe that a brawl erupted out of something as simple as a request. In civilized society, if somebody is doing something well out of the norm that one might consider to be wrong, it seems OK to ask them to stop. This includes a man and a women sucking face as well.