Do members of the military get too much respect? What profession do you respect the most?

Sabiancym

Aug 12, 2010
You know the scene. Two people are introducing themselves to each other.

Person A: What do you do?
Person B: I'm actually a Vet. Marine Corps.
Person A: Oh wow. Thank you for your service.

Now that's all well and good, but I've always thought that not only do members of the military get too much unconditional respect, but that other people who provide invaluable services don't get near enough. Sure there are the basic Police and Fire Fighters, but they get plenty.

I'm talking about people like Pathologists, Teachers, EMTs, Surgeons, social workers, etc. These people certainly do as much individually, if not more than any one member of the military. Plus as a whole I guarantee the previously mentioned professions have done more good than the military.

I'm going to go with ER doctors, nurses, EMTs, and paramedics. These people save millions of lives and have to endure some of the most emotionally and physically draining situations out there. Watching children die when you don't know what's wrong with them, missing saving someone's life by 20 seconds, having to tell an only child that their one remaining parent has passed away, etc. I would be a constant ball of tears if I worked in some city ERs. I'd be curled up in a ball in the corner in no time from some of the tragedy I'd inevitably have to see.

I'm sure I'll get the "But the military risks their own lives" argument. However, not only do less than 15% of military members ever even see anything even close to resembling real combat, but emergency response and doctors put themselves on the line constantly. From the constant threat of general sickness, to more serious stuff like AIDs scares and other deadly infectious diseases. Then you also have the paramedics and EMTs who are sometimes in sketchy situations. Shootings, stabbings, gang violence, etc. Plenty of these brave people have been injured or killed while trying to save someone.

Sorry, but I'm not about to thank some cook in the navy for whipping up some sweet pasta when no one even bothers to thank the real heroes out there.

I'm sure I'll get some hate for this post due to people being groomed to think the military is somehow better and braver than other professions, but I'd like to see someone logically explain to me why they deserve the gratitude they get when other professions have to go without.

I've never seen a "Support our Pathologists and Surgeons" sticker.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
I don't think military personnel get too much respect, because after all they are willing to go out and die for their country, if someone is willing to give their life to save anothers then they should get a whole lot of respect it's the ultimate sacrifice.

Also I think that military personnel get a lot of respect because they get paid peanuts where as doctors get a fair bit.

One more thing the cooks have to fight as well as cook up some spicy meatballs.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
I came to the conclusion "No one cares" years ago shortly after witnessing a car cut off a blaring fire engine.

MetroidNut

Sep 2, 2009
It's not always about doing the most good. The way I see it, joining the military of any nation isn't just agreeing to go fight your country's current wars, and run a miniscule risk of being killed. Joining the military is making a very simple commitment - that, if it is required, you are willing to die for your country. Sure, NATO casualties in Afghanistan may be relatively low (though still regrettable), but if you ask me - which, by posting the topic, you did - military personnel aren't just agreeing to fight in Afghanistan, they're making the commitment to fight in much deadlier potential conflicts, as well.

So basically, you can argue that soldiers do far less good in this world than doctors, or teachers, or paramedics. You might be right, I don't really know or care. But soldiers have agreed to, if necessary, die for their country, and that makes every last one of them a goddamn hero.

As you may have guessed, the profession I respect the most would probably be "soldier".

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
I've never really been swayed by the whole "soldiers are heroes" argument.

If they were directly protecting their homeland against foreign invaders, then yes, that would be pretty damn heroic. If WW3 started, then every last soldier who fought to protect my country would earn my eternal respect. Hell, I'd probably enlist myself.

But soldiers fighting in current conflicts? I don't wish to sound ungrateful here, but somebody who goes to far-flung countries to kill the natives and is driven more by the pay than a pressing need to protect the motherland... isn't that the definition of a mercenary?

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Pathologists and surgeons are both extremely well paid for their work. Enlisted military earn -shit- for pay and work massive hours with no real control over their lives.

DAAANtheMAAAN

Sep 5, 2011
Soldiers deserve every bit of respect that people give them. A soldier on the field knows that they may not live through the next day, all for the sake of their country. If that doesn't command respect, nothing does.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
ToTaL LoLiGe said:
I don't think military personnel get too much respect, because after all they are willing to go out and die for their country, if someone is willing to give their life to save anothers then they should get a whole lot of respect it's the ultimate sacrifice.

Also I think that military personnel get a lot of respect because they get paid peanuts where as doctors get a fair bit.

One more thing the cooks have to fight as well as cook up some spicy meatballs.
I think ti also depends on why they joined. For some, sure, it is about self-sacrifice, honour and all those awesome traits, but for others it is probably just the best option they have available, and for others, maybe they just like violence or physically demanding jobs.

But don't get me wrong, the soldiers doing it for the right reason are people I'll respect until the cows come home.

OT: Fireys, doctors, soldiers (the good ones), pretty much people who dedicate themselves to helping others.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
Batou667 said:
I've never really been swayed by the whole "soldiers are heroes" argument.

If they were directly protecting their homeland against foreign invaders, then yes, that would be pretty damn heroic. If WW3 started, then every last soldier who fought to protect my country would earn my eternal respect. Hell, I'd probably enlist myself.

But soldiers fighting in current conflicts? I don't wish to sound ungrateful here, but somebody who goes to far-flung countries to kill the natives and is driven more by the pay than a pressing need to protect the motherland... isn't that the definition of a mercenary?
i am with this how is it protecting your country if your oof blowing up other people

Aug 25, 2009
Depends what you mean by respect.

I respect people who get up and sing at an open mic night, because it does take bravery to get up and sing in front of people. Do I respect them as much as a policeman who singlehandedly took down a drug ring in Central London? No

Your question seems to imply that there are only two states: Having respect and not having respect. But I think there are levels of respect, certainly for me. I respect a teacher who takes the time to teach a class properly, instead of just sticking up a powerpoint, I respect a soldier who earned the Victoria Cross for saving seven people while one of his legs had been blown off.

My philosophy is to assume that everyone you meet is deserving of a little respect. Even if that just means you are well mannered and act interested in them. That is showing respect. If it turns out they have done something amazing, then by all means have more respect for them, if they turn out to be an alcoholic racist, that's when you can say 'I don't have respect for you anymore.'

Respect is a tricky word that should not be generalised into only the two categories.

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
No, I think being willing to die for a cause greater than yourself is something that should be respected MORE.

I respect our military immensely.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
While I do tend to respect someone a little more/less depending on their profession, what really earns my respect is that specific persons actions. There are Airmen that have no business wearing their uniform and should go fuck themselves, there are some that should be in the papers just for doing their job well, it all depends on the person, not so much on their profession.

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
I think that the deal is that a healthcare provider will certainly prevent you from dying or will make your life easier. However, they haven't accepted the risk of being killed themselves in order to do it. And they tend to be very well compensated for it, monetarily and socially.

But props all around. Every job is important, no one job is completely independent of support staff.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
considering the wars that we have been in recently, i'll have to say while i respect them, i do think that there are other professions that deserve my respect more so at this time. if it had been during the revolutionary, civil, or a world war, then i would respect them far more, but the wars we've been in recently, for the most part, we haven't needed to be involved in them like we have been. so i respect doctors and surgeons more so. soldiers sacrifice their lives, but really, in most of the wars their sacrifice isn't for some giant threat to our country. these countries might have been a big threat later, but at them time we went to war, we didn't have much business doing it. doctors however, no matter what are saving lives. saving a life is much more important than taking one away.

Tips_of_Fingers

Jun 21, 2010
Cheshire the Cat said:
Meh, solidiers are just doing a job. Nothing more, nothing less. I have always said that hospitals would be pits of disease and death without the janitors there to keep them clean so yeah, I will be grateful to the Dr who treated me but I wont look down on the janitors and cleaning staff who made sure I did not get an infection while I waited.
All these things are necessary, all gears in the machine and without any of them the whole thing would not work.

Soldiers sign up for a job, sure a dangerous job but a job none the less. I honestly have more respect for people who serve because they have to in times of crisis such as a draft since they never wanted to fight but did it because it had to be done. Signing up to go over and kick the shit out of innocents who never did anything to you just because a tiny group of fuckwits did something is just plain wrong and I have no respect for those who go along with it because its their orders.
Tell that to the janitors of hospitals that caused people to get MRSA.

OT: Like many people who have already commented, I'll say that soldiers earn a shit wage for an incredibly difficult job. They do, however, get a fuck load of recognition for their effort. Think of the respect they get as a bonus to their measly pay...

I do agree with your sentiements regarding teachers though. They get a terrible amount of money for the insane amount of work they have to do.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Depends on which nation you mean.

If you mean the US, I'm no expert, but I'd say they don't get the right sort of respect.

Like, it's fine to say "Hey cool, he/she's a marine"...but do people think about that so much when they are saying "we should totally invade ____"? Does anyone concern themselves overmuch with how much military personnel are paid, what facilities are availble if the are crippled or suffer PTSD, if the military will properly investigate allegations of sexual assault?

Of course, there are plenty of people that are interested in such things, and more power to them. But those that aren't...I'm not sure if you can say they respect military personnel.

I do take your point about other professions not being respected as they should be...but when I ask myself "wouldn't it be cool to be a Navy Clearance Diver?" or somesuch, the honest answer is "no".

[small]NORFORCE, say, would be different, in that there's no fighting except during actual invasions, but still not much fun[/small]

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
You would like my Public Policy class. There's an Army Veteran who throws his war experiences around as he advocates for the conservative right. He does it to antagonize his opponents and trip them up with rhetoric. (Ad-Ho minim attacks never go well against a patriotic war hero, and some people fell for it.) Once I did manage to trap him in an ethical debate about Healthcare. He argued "Obamacare should not entitle anyone to 10% of a professional's own personal abilities. That's slavery." My Counter: "Doctors must help where they can because they are obligated by oath. That oath requires 100%, not just 10%." (And yes, I loosely paraphrased the Hypocratic Oath to better suit my counter. Please don't hate me doctors!)

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
Nope, I heartily appreciate getting out of traffic tickets for being a vet.

But no, they don't get "too much respect". In fact, I don't remember getting much respect at all when I was in active duty, if anything it was the opposite. If anything, there are many professions deserving of more respect than they get from society, but respecting less the sacrifices military people make to do what they do seems retarded.