Long story short, they explode.

Update 8/17:

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Don't have the attention span to watch the video, but would this kind of failure brick the rest of your PC too? And in that case, would the manufacturers have to compensate you for that?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Don't have the attention span to watch the video, but would this kind of failure brick the rest of your PC too? And in that case, would the manufacturers have to compensate you for that?
Yes, it can brick some of the components attached to the PSU. In the testing in the video it fried one of their 3080 graphics cards (though they couldn't specifically say that the power supply issue had killed the card, just that it had died at the same time), and there are reviews on newegg that also claim that the power supplies damaged other components. As to whether they would have to compensate you for the loss of the whole PC, I have no idea, but that would probably depend on what consumer protections exist in your country and whether you can prove that the damage was caused by the power supply.

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Yes, it can brick some of the components attached to the PSU. In the testing in the video it fried one of their 3080 graphics cards.
Jesus, that's like poaching a rhino.
As to whether they would have to compensate you for the loss of the whole PC, I have no idea, but that would probably depend on what consumer protections exist in your country and whether you can prove that the damage was caused by the power supply.
The idea of a single component messing up and bricking your other parts is honestly one of the scariest things about PC gaming to me, which is why when the day comes that I can afford one, I'll probably end up having someone else build it for me.

Reactions: gorfias

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The idea of a single component messing up and bricking your other parts is honestly one of the scariest things about PC gaming to me, which is why when the day comes that I can afford one, I'll probably end up having someone else build it for me.
You really do need to be careful, even (especially) when getting one built. The PSU is literally the heart of a computer system, and if someone decides to save a few bucks by skimping out and getting a bad one, it can kill the system and make any number of parts completely unusable.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
After personal experience, I wouldn't recommend Gigabyte in any capacity. Doesn't surprise me their PSUs are garbo

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
After personal experience, I wouldn't recommend Gigabyte in any capacity. Doesn't surprise me their PSUs are garbo
I've had 2 gigabyte graphics cards. The 980 I hard worked great, absolutely no complaints. Bought a 5700XT and it's been kind of mediocre. The performance is fine, but there's some annoying coil whine.

I probably won't be getting any more gigabyte products after this based on their quality control.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
And every single Gigabyte motherboard I’ve ever had has been so bulletproof I considered flogging them to the army to use as armour plating. Confirmation bias is a hell of a thing.

The idea of a single component messing up and bricking your other parts is honestly one of the scariest things about PC gaming to me.
Uh, this single component is the reason all the other hundreds of parts even do anything. Same as a laptop, or a PlayStation or a television or an electric frying pan. If somethings power supply shits itself in a big way; yeah it’s gonna fuck the whole device.

With that being said; Jesus H. Fucking Christ, Gigabyte. What the fuck stupid bullshit are you playing at with this kind of nonsense? That poor sod’s money should be refunded with enough extra to buy a pair of 3090s at current retail pricing.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
And every single Gigabyte motherboard I’ve ever had has been so bulletproof I considered flogging them to the army to use as armour plating. Confirmation bias is a hell of a thing.
Wish my Gigabyte motherboard I had previously did that. That would've been nice

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
My own experience with Gigabyte was limited to my old 980ti, but it too was kind of hit or miss. Fans weren't plugged in when it arrived. Ok, no biggie, easy fix. So I slap it in my system, and I notice some pretty poor temps. Again, easy fix, redid the sorry paste job on the gpu die and replaced the shitty pads. After that it was smooth sailing all the way, but you know, I shouldn't have had to do those things.

Seems like poor paste/pad application is a rather common issue with their gpus. It popped up frequently in reviews and user comments while I was researching for a new card.
Whether building a pc yourself or having it built for you, the rule for power supplies is very simple: never, ever, ever cheap out. Get the best and biggest one you can afford.

Reactions: Gordon_4

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Uh, this single component is the reason all the other hundreds of parts even do anything. Same as a laptop, or a PlayStation or a television or an electric frying pan. If somethings power supply shits itself in a big way; yeah it’s gonna fuck the whole device.
The difference being that if your TV's power supply fucks up, you had no input and therefore it is not your fault. Probs would be a breeze to get it replaced under warranty too. Your PC ending up fucked because you chose the wrong PSU? Would make you feel significantly worse, and I doubt any warranty would cover the costs for the other parts if it was your own fault.
Whether building a pc yourself or having it built for you, the rule for power supplies is very simple: never, ever, ever cheap out. Get the best and biggest one you can afford.
Noted, although I was also speaking generally. Would defective GPU/RAM/etc not also be capable of screwing up your system? I don't know enough about PCs.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Noted, although I was also speaking generally. Would defective GPU/RAM/etc not also be capable of screwing up your system? I don't know enough about PCs.
Yes, they technically can, but the most likely outcome of running a system with faulty CPU, GPU or RAM in it, is that the ssytem simply won't boot. It's comparatively rare for them to fry the entire system.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Ravinoff

Elite Member
Legacy
May 31, 2012
Country
Canada
I swore off Gigabyte after the amount of fuckery this motherboard gave me (Z170x-Gaming7). All the advertising and reviews raved about the sound quality because it comes with an onboard Creative SoundBlaster module, I like good sound and it was a decent-priced LGA1154 socket board, so I got one. Put everything together (with moderate cursing on the plastic bullshit and mobo standoffs, as is tradition) and it booted and worked fine. But as soon as I started anything graphics-heavy...the sound quality went completely to hell with constant popping and buzzing.

Eventually found a couple other people complaining about the same thing, and after a bit of discussion in a forum thread, I'm pretty sure I worked out the source of the issue (which necessitated buying a $100 USB DAC and later a really great USB headset): some fucking brilliant designer stuck the highly sensitive audio components at the very back of the board, right next to the PCIe ports (blue circle below). So whenever my video card was under load, the interference from it caused the sound card and preamp (circled below in red) to completely shit the bed.

z170x-gaming-7-0-1280x1024.jpg

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
some fucking brilliant designer stuck the highly sensitive audio components at the very back of the board, right next to the PCIe ports (blue circle below). So whenever my video card was under load, the interference from it caused the sound card and preamp (circled below in red) to completely shit the bed.
From what I've seen, placing the sound chip in the corner (like where the SoundCore chip is in the picture) is pretty standard, and usually that's enough clearance to not be a huge issue, especially if the implementation is decent. But all that extra kit... yeah, that's not exactly a good spot. But I wonder where else they could've put it without having to redesign the entire board from top to bottom. The layout is all pretty standard, so I can't think of a good spot to put it, save for removing the lowest PCI-e slot and laying it that way. After my last motherboard experience... I'd say Gigabyte not having very good implementation of components sounds par for the course (Especially after hearing what I did from the video in the OP)

Out of curiosity, what DAC did you buy?

Ravinoff

Elite Member
Legacy
May 31, 2012
Country
Canada
From what I've seen, placing the sound chip in the corner (like where the SoundCore chip is in the picture) is pretty standard, and usually that's enough clearance to not be a huge issue, especially if the implementation is decent. But all that extra kit... yeah, that's not exactly a good spot. But I wonder where else they could've put it without having to redesign the entire board from top to bottom. The layout is all pretty standard, so I can't think of a good spot to put it, save for removing the lowest PCI-e slot and laying it that way. After my last motherboard experience... I'd say Gigabyte not having very good implementation of components sounds par for the course (Especially after hearing what I did from the video in the OP)

Out of curiosity, what DAC did you buy?
I don't know a whole lot about the subject of DACs, but I got something called a Topping TP30 that appears to be unobtainable now. Used that with a Razer BlackShark Gen 1 headset for a few years (amazingly not shit for being Razer) until that crapped out, then replaced all of it with a HyperX Cloud Revolver S. Which is friggin' awesome once you tweak the EQ settings to bring up the low end, but that's more personal preference.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I don't know a whole lot about the subject of DACs, but I got something called a Topping TP30 that appears to be unobtainable now. Used that with a Razer BlackShark Gen 1 headset for a few years (amazingly not shit for being Razer) until that crapped out, then replaced all of it with a HyperX Cloud Revolver S. Which is friggin' awesome once you tweak the EQ settings to bring up the low end, but that's more personal preference.
Ah, interesting! Thanks for the follow up. I remember having a HyperX Cloud II headset a long time ago. Was pretty decent for the price, you wouldn't think they'd be as good as they are given the brand and reputation of most gaming headsets. I've since moved on myself with a Yeti Nano mic and some Focal Listen headphones, but I do miss the headset convenience every now and then

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
As someone who just had their power source replaced, and currently am using a loner piece that thankfully works, does anyone have a brand or wattage they recommend?

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
As someone who just had their power source replaced, and currently am using a loner piece that thankfully works, does anyone have a brand or wattage they recommend?
I've previously used Seasonic and EVGA power supplies and they've been great. Wattage would depend on the specs of your computer. Generally speaking you want a powerful enough power supply so that the power draw from your PC is going to be about 60% of your power supply's max output (so if your computer is going to be using about 350-400 watts you'll want about a 650 watt PSU). This helps prevent issues with voltage fluctuations.

Also always remember, if you're switching out a modular PSU always switch out the cables as well otherwise you might fry your motherboard. The power supply manufacturers don't really have a standardization for cables, so cables from one power supply may not be compatible with another even though everything fits together. Don't be lazy, swap the cables.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
I've previously used Seasonic and EVGA power supplies and they've been great. Wattage would depend on the specs of your computer. Generally speaking you want a powerful enough power supply so that the power draw from your PC is going to be about 60% of your power supply's max output (so if your computer is going to be using about 350-400 watts you'll want about a 650 watt PSU). This helps prevent issues with voltage fluctuations.

Also always remember, if you're switching out a modular PSU always switch out the cables as well otherwise you might fry your motherboard. The power supply manufacturers don't really have a standardization for cables, so cables from one power supply may not be compatible with another even though everything fits together. Don't be lazy, swap the cables.
No worries, the block came with it's own octopus of cables and we used those. My resident computer guru reccomended my rig get 700, and my old block was putting about 500. Current temp piece is clocking in 650.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Newegg has a calculator for this, to be take with a grain of salt -

Another one for the power user -