Do not waste your money on Dawnguard.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
Knight Templar said:
If you really don't think it's worth it, fine, no reason to go out preaching.
47_Ronin said:
Well, there's another company getting away with that new age policy of shortening content and increasing prices. When Activision upped their COD map pack prices I thought no one would go along with it. Now it's fairly standard and Bethesda wants a piece of it.
This is bigger than other DLCs of it's type and not disproportionately expensive.
So could you please elaborate on what you mean?
Well, you are sort of making my point. People's perception on the worth of new content has changed a lot. It might be a generational thing but that is just a hunch. Many gamers seem contempt to get less whilst paying more, or at least they tolerate it with a mumble. Many people in this thread have compared Skyrim to Fallout concerning DLC-price and the amount of DLC content; those observations speak for themselves.
The observation I made, comparing COD and Skyrim, was not about the amount of DLC or it's quality, I rather wanted to make a point about consumer behavior. Publishers keep jacking up prices and costumers today seem to be happy with it because they "feel it was worth the price".

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
I loved it and the dip in money barely even registered in my bank account, it had Jiub too! I missed that gravelly voiced Dunmer bastard.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Interesting. Even though I'm not a Skyrim player, I was surprised to see that Dawnguard was going for $20 especially after all of the DLC for Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas was (initially) $10.

winginson

Mar 27, 2011
Personally I think dawnguard is great, enjoyed it and got loved some of new locales and characters. However I think its better for lower level characters because high level characters don't really gain anything. Who cares about crossbows when you have a legendary poisoned enchanted daedric bow?

I always play low level characters however as I find high levels really boring.

God's Clown

Aug 8, 2008
I am not buying it on the principle that 20 dollars is too expensive for any DLC ever. Make it something like Shivering Isle's, and I'll give you 30 bucks. Werewolf/vampire skill tree, crossbow and some quests isn't worth it to me. Werewolf is stupid, I only like vampire on Khajitt cause the teeth, and Bow has and always will be superior to crossbows because fuck crossbows.

BOW MASTER RACE!

My captcha is Time Lord, so I can't be wrong.

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
imahobbit4062 said:
I'll do as I damn well please with my money.

I don't get why people make these kinds of threads, you may think you're trying to help people, but you just come across as annoying telling people not to buy something.
Review threads, despite your opinions, are useful. You're welcome to do as you like with your money, and if you enjoy your purchases all power to you, but not everyone can readily afford to spend money regularly. A $25 DLC kit is a big deal to some people (it is to me), and if it's generally considered lackluster by other gamers who hold TESCS to similar standards, I know that I, personally, would like to hear that before I buy into the hype, spend my money and find myself disappointed. Rather than allow such threads to annoy you, surely it would be just as easy to not click on the thread title and go read something more relevant to you...

OT: I was have been generally disappointed with the TES series of late. Oblivion was a huge step down from morrowind in terms of immersion and content, and while I don't know that it's fair to claim that skyrim was as big of a relative disappointment, it certainly didn't live it to it's potential. The games seem to be getting more expensive and more simple with each addition. If this trend continues older fans of the series, such as myself, will not get any value from future TES games, which is a little sad. Hopefully some other devs come up with an open fantasy series that can replace it :(

llubtoille said:
think I picked up skyrim from greenman gaming about a month after it came out for ~$55 or something, which was well worth it (and a bargin compared to steams $90 price-tag)
So this dlc is up on steam for $25, just under half what I paid for the full game...
with only a tiny fraction of the content?

It's funny, back in June I was all hyped to buy it, as I was just starting a new character.
but now that it's out (and that character's done) I just can't mount any enthusiasm.

probably if it comes down in price to say $15, then I'd give it a go.
Hey that's a very similar[footnote]Read "identical".[/footnote] situation to me! WOOOOOO, I'm part of the crowd!

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
47_Ronin said:
Many gamers seem contempt to get less whilst paying more, or at least they tolerate it with a mumble.
This isn't "get less, pay more" here, it's "get more, pay more".
Rather drastically cuts down your point if the basic premise is wrong don't you agree?

Or are you suggesting that we shouldn't pay more, no matter what we get? That's silly but otherwise you're not making much sense. That CoD example is a higher price, just to have a higher price, but here it's a higher price, because there is more. It's stock standard, exactly what you should expect and in no way unreasonable.

black_knight1337

Mar 1, 2011
woodaba said:
Knights of the Nine has a very similar level of content
Hmm, similar amount of content for half the price of what knights of the nine was at full retail back in the day? I may have to get this sooner than I thought.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
Knight Templar said:
47_Ronin said:
Many gamers seem contempt to get less whilst paying more, or at least they tolerate it with a mumble.
This isn't "get less, pay more" here, it's "get more, pay more".
Rather drastically cuts down your point if the basic premise is wrong don't you agree?

Or are you suggesting that we shouldn't pay more, no matter what we get? That's silly but otherwise you're not making much sense. That CoD example is a higher price, just to have a higher price, but here it's a higher price, because there is more. It's stock standard, exactly what you should expect and in no way unreasonable.
The basic premise, as stated before, is that each individual's contempt with quality and quantity varies and that, in my case, I used to get more bang for my buck. I say that comparing Skyrim DLC to more recent games and games from "way back then". Now, you cannot state that I "pay more for more", if objectively and comparatively I "pay more for less".
Maybe this is a generational problem after all in which case I thank you youngsters for jacking up my prices. And now get of my lawn :D

woodaba

May 31, 2011
black_knight1337 said:
woodaba said:
Knights of the Nine has a very similar level of content
Hmm, similar amount of content for half the price of what knights of the nine was at full retail back in the day? I may have to get this sooner than I thought.
Where do you live? Knights of the Nine was never full retail where I am. Hell, you can get it for 800 MSP of Xbox LIVE!

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
I didn't realize the price tag was so high on steam, I bought it on xbox 360 and just assumed it was microsoft being bastards again. I think it was worth it though, it adds some nice new content.

Cerebral Force

Jun 8, 2011
I'm gonna have to say that the DLC is definitely worth having a look at, but you need to consider if you find it worthwhile to yourself. Dawnguard added quite a few things that I thought should've been in the game already, some were as obvious as the ability to make arrows.

I did end up buying it, but not exactly for the storyline, in fact I wish I could completely exclude it because of those damned vampires attacking cities and KILLING IMPORTANT CHARACTERS. Actually, just remove that until you at least START the DLC story.

nu1mlock

May 5, 2012
Saviordd1 said:
OT: Honestly, 20 bucks isn't that much, its like a 10th of one pay check for one week
Wow, getting paid $800-ish per month sounds way too little. I'm unemployed and, thanks to me paying my "if you get unemployed-insurance" when working, I get 1,300? each month. And that's not even half of what I earned working in an electronic store.

I'm from Sweden though, still sounds like you're getting paid way to little.

OT: 20? isn't much at all. There are a lot of games out there giving you about 8 hours of entertainment for 50?, I'd say those 20? is worth it if it gives you 8 hours too (and it probably does).

I agree that Orcs Must Die! 2 gave me a lot value for my money but that doesn't mean that 20? can't. It's still close to nothing.

That being said I haven't bought Dawnguard as I'm not that interested in it. I gave Skyrim about 50 hours and I don't really feel the need to get into it again. Yet.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
nu1mlock said:
Saviordd1 said:
OT: Honestly, 20 bucks isn't that much, its like a 10th of one pay check for one week
Wow, getting paid $800-ish per month sounds way too little. I'm unemployed and, thanks to me paying my "if you get unemployed-insurance" when working, I get 1,300? each month. And that's not even half of what I earned working in an electronic store.

I'm from Sweden though, still sounds like you're getting paid way to little.

OT: 20? isn't much at all. There are a lot of games out there giving you about 8 hours of entertainment for 50?, I'd say those 20? is worth it if it gives you 8 hours too (and it probably does).

I agree that Orcs Must Die! 2 gave me a lot value for my money but that doesn't mean that 20? can't. It's still close to nothing.

That being said I haven't bought Dawnguard as I'm not that interested in it. I gave Skyrim about 50 hours and I don't really feel the need to get into it again. Yet.
Well to be fair I'm also 17 and still in HS, so my job pays extraordinarily well by comparison to most at this age group, and since my shelter/food is payed for all I pay for are dates and gas money so I'm pretty okay in the money department.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
47_Ronin said:
So your rambling posts actually have almost nothing to do with the topic at hand, and are just you bemoaning that 10, 15 or 20 years ago video games where cheaper, and you don't understand what changed, but blame greed and young people?

See I was under the impression you were comparing the price and content of dawnguard to similar DLC for similar games (ya' know the reasonable thing to do. We don't compare it to a movie ticket because although that shines favorably on dawnguard, it's also not valid), not to some vague standard of value you have yet to define.

At least now I know why your posts didn't seem very connected to the topic at hand. Sorry for the confusion.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Deathmageddon said:
Nothing was advertised that Dawnguard didn't deliver. Any real Skyrim fan will be more than satisfied.
I love how you precisely stated the "No True Scotsman" fallacy in relation to this issue.

I'm simply not buying it because I've exhausted my game budget for the fall already getting Borderlands 2 and a couple of games on Steam Sale. I really don't think it's worth $20 (I was expecting a $10 pricetag) either, so I'll definitely be waiting.

Jiffex

Dec 11, 2011
I really enjoyed Dawnguard, I think the main reason a lot of people found it disappointing was because it isn't the size of KotN or SI from Oblivion.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Deathmageddon said:
Nothing was advertised that Dawnguard didn't deliver. Any real Skyrim fan will be more than satisfied.
That's a bit of a blind statement isn't it? £15 is ludicrously expensive, that's just under half the price of the full game. Just because you're a fan of Skyrim, that doesn't mean you can't level criticism at it. Being a fan means being able to deliver praise /and/ critique, not just blindly accepting anything that comes out for it and throwing however much money they charge at it. Even if I agreed that it was worth it, that's still a silly way to go about things, a "They can do no wrong!" stance is bad on /anything/. Case in point, I fucking love Batman, approaching child hood levels of obsession, I have an insane amount of Batman related bits and bobs, but that doesn't stop me from pointing out things that I feel are bad about the franchise, and will judge it accordingly.

New Vegas DLC was £5, and all of it had new areas, new weapons and lots of other new content, in contrast Dawnguard s £15 and offers less than the NV dlc at triple the price, that is /not/ under any circumstances a good deal.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Its not that bad but all in all like the last few beth games its just not worth the money until everything is released in one package for half the launch cost.

Oh and bioware games are worse as they have shrunken limited worlds and levels to explore a shame they killed ME with ME 2.....