Do other countries really think ALL americans are stupid?

BleedingPride

Aug 10, 2009
I'm an American and while my country has done some things that I do not agree with I really don't understand why people judge everyone in America to be dumbasses? i hear things like "for those of you who are too american to understand" or "what is it with Americans and.." and it just goes on and on and on and i just dont understand. I'm not that person people seem to think i am just because of my american accent. What's with all the hostility?

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
"Does everyone but Americans generalise?"

It's just simpler for people to take a stereotype or a sweeping statement and say "all" rather than "some". It's really as simple as that. Sure, there's the odd bigot who genuinely thinks the patch of dirt you were born on makes you who you are, but for the most part it's generalisations based on culture or rumour.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
Edit: Line removed in compliance with moderator demands.

(OK maybe I made that up. At least, the stupid part.)

But that's the impression the country sends people. I'm sure every country has its WBCs, or its Glenn Becks; they just don't get publicised as much as the American ones do.

AperioContra

Aug 4, 2011
I'm an American, and I still think all Americans are stupid.

But more on the serious side, Americans believe all the English are Snotty, All The French Are Cowards, All Italians are in gangs, and all Kenyans break the World Speed Record. We All Overgeneralized. Just like saying everyone thinks we're stupid.

stabbymcstabs

Jun 16, 2011
Its just from sterotypical issues, given over that last few decades. Many people believe that the American society has given itself the green light to call themselves the most dominant contry on all terms. Though this might be true i doubt many Americans think this.

Being an Australian this can make me a bit frustrated that another country can just believe that they are better than what i am, were all equals in this world and thats what it should be.

This feeling of dominance can create spitefulness against America and its people, from other countries, createing what we see today.

BrailleOperatic

Jul 7, 2010
I'm going to answer your question with this question: why do all Americans think every Brit is upper-class scholar-gentry?
Answer: because those are the only ones they hear about. I'm English, and currently living in the US, and I have been asked more culturally ignorant than I care to count. I was once asked if I could speak English. By an American. After a ten minute conversation with them. In English. Not all Americans are dumb, just the loudest ones.

obi2012

May 22, 2011
I an American, I believe that our problems are: generalizations, Bush II's presidency, and letting idiots get all the air time.

gobby400

Aug 9, 2011
Everywhere Has this issue, and frankly, its bigotry. I'm not Americas biggest fan, but that's for political not personal reasons, and once you get into the "all Americans are stupid" and "all English people are in love with Margaret Thatcher" (you Americans would be AMAZED how hated she is over here, its brilliant :) )its just plain wrong. Its getting out of hand, as well, you get it in-between different areas of the same country; I'm from the north of England, and everybody from the south assumes I'm a racist pudgy flat cap wearing son of a steelworker.
Its Annoying, and needs to stop.

gabe12301

Jun 30, 2010
I want PETA to go away. But stupidity is universal you cannot escape it no matter where you live.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
A lot of people (not everyone) likes to generalize and stereotype. Americans generalize about other countries; other countries generalize about Americans. Other countries generalize about other countries. The U.S. and other countries generalize about themselves. Also, the worst examples speak the loudest, which just leads to more generalizations. It's a vicious cycle.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
No, there was that woman from South America that wasn't.

Seriously, though, people don't think all US citizens are stupid, it's just more fun to pretend they are. Picking on the Irish for being stupid got stale. Also, picking on various European nations for being crazy right wingers is going that way a well, lucky we have the US to use instead.

No matter how much people say they hate USAliens, there's always hordes of people from their own country they'd like to deport.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
No, but there are a lot of fat, stupid and lazy Americans quite willing to let the media put that out to the rest of the planet. People often generalise an entire population to it's media stereotype. Doesn't mean we think that about all you guys, but anything you could do stop the scum getting near a TV camera would be much appreciated. Try putting it up a flight of stairs.

TonyVonTonyus

Dec 4, 2010
No, but we get examples of Americans from television and if Jersey Shore and Fox News is what the world sees then the world will believe everyone in America is either an idiot or a right winged fascist nut job.

The_Vigilant

Jul 13, 2011
It's a pretty strong stereotype. When I studied abroad in South Korea, a number of my friends were European. They were shocked to find that I was fit, knew more European and East Asian history than they did, and spoke (GASP!) other languages. They would routinely make comments like "I don't think you're an American, quit pretending and tell us where you're really from."

As for why that is...not really sure. I'd guess it has to do with expectations. One would expect members of the world's dominant society to be highly refined and sophisticated. In that regard, most Americans disappoint the foreigners who meet them.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
If they really thought all Americans were stupid, owned guns, and loved invading countries just because, I'm betting they would think twice before insulting them. It's all in good stereotyping fun.

As long as I can make fun of people from other countries, they can do so to me :D