Do people actually believe the thing about Australia's wildlife being dangerous?

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
370999 said:
But Detroit is different.

The problem with Detroit is not the natural enviroment but rather the lack of employment opportunities due to the collapse of industry.

Alos the death rate is nowhere near as high as 50%.

I also believe (though do feel free to correct me), that Detroit is a dying city.
It was a dry joke.

My point is that people will live anywhere, no matter how deadly the environment. Usually the result is people in safer places trying to keep them alive.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
DustyDrB said:
I'm just ridiculously afraid of spiders, and seeing the ones you guys have. They might actually bite me, but I may die of a heart attack at the sight of one.
I know how you feel. I have terrible arachnophobia. Just thinking about encountering a big spider freaks me out.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
Dags90 said:
You're probably more likely to be killed or injured by a deer in the U.S. than any of our "scary" animals, I think the same happens in Australia with kangaroos.
kangaroos will actually kick and it hurts a lot, not to mention their claws are quite sharp, and hitting a kangaroo in your car can write it off in a hurry, if you're on a motorbike, you're pretty screwed. The worst spiders we have are the red back and the funnel web, the red back is fairly common, pretty much won't bite unless provoked and the venom is slow acting, but the funnel web is fairly aggressive and the poison is faster acting, but it's fairly localised around Sydney and that area and along the east coast closer to forests.

Hunstmans (which are found all over australia) are harmless, they look scarier than they are, they move quickly and can get quite big, but their vemon is non toxic.

All this talk about spiders has given me the severe jitters, so i need to take a severe chill pill before i completely freak out.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
A buddy of mine visited australia few years back.
he visited his friend who was living in a city. they stayed up late, and that didint end well. a spider came in though the window, while the lights was on and bit the guy. the local IMMEDIATELY called ambulance and he spent 3 weeks in a hospital. turns out if there was noone to call ambulance he would have been dead. the local just brushed it off as "it happens" so i guess he though its a occurrence that is not rare.

So yeah, i WILL say that austrlias wildlife is crazy.
and lets not forget the kangaroos that decide to "claim back" the territory by stalking and attacking people [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2151552/Woman-stalked-rogue-kangaroo-TWO-DAYS-vicious-attack-left-12-inch-scar.html] and whne that does not suceed, they repeat the attack [http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/its-going-to-get-me-randy-kangaroo-stalks-more-women-in-tennant-creek/story-e6frep26-1225900858152]
P.S. i know dailymay is one of the sources, the story been in escapist as well, but i cant find the link atm.

Cat - 1
and would have love to see that cat
actually i think there was a story not so long ago where a woman was drivng her cat from the VET in a casket in the backseat. the cat managed to get free and jumped on the womans face, which made her loose control of the car and crash. essentially cat crashed the car. she lived but i mean it could have ended worse, driving off a cliff or something, and here you got a cat caused death.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
You guys have an invisible jellyfish the size of a thumbtack that can make you die in agony over 10 hours. I'm staying here in the states where all I need to do is know where all the bulletproof cover is XD

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
being an arachnofobic dutchman, I'm not going near your country without a shotgun.
I'd be a terrible roommate there. >.>

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
So, what you're saying is that our wildlife actually is pretty dangerous, but you're unlikely to die from it even if you're not too careful.

Make no mistake: We do have dangerous wildlife very capable of killing people. However, people are warned about them, they're generally not in heavily populated areas, antidotes exist for most of them, and your chances of running into one, are quite low, and the odds of it attacking you without provocation are even lower.

If you have a fear of spiders though, seriously keep out of Australia. It will give you a heart attack - its given me plenty and I'm not that averted to the stupid things.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Uhm, your reassurances sound somewhat different when viewed from the perspective of a country so lacking in poisonous wildlife we'd probably have to include cats on a top-10 list.

May 17, 2010
theultimateend said:
370999 said:
But Detroit is different.

The problem with Detroit is not the natural enviroment but rather the lack of employment opportunities due to the collapse of industry.

Alos the death rate is nowhere near as high as 50%.

I also believe (though do feel free to correct me), that Detroit is a dying city.
It was a dry joke.

My point is that people will live anywhere, no matter how deadly the environment. Usually the result is people in safer places trying to keep them alive.
Without wishing to drag this on for too long, I disagree. We do not see large human populations in the Artic. Generally people will move to an attractive area, yes people sometimes get pushed out to bad places (see Amerindian reservations in the US.) however this is never a voluntary action, certainly not the type which would attract immigration.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
I couldn't honestly care less about the actual death rates in Australia from your animals, I can't even look at google images of spiders bigger than the tip of my pinkie without freaking the fuck out and feeling my heart leap 50 feet up my throat in terror. I am very arachnophobic, and I would not come to Australia for more than a day without at least having a shotgun or a flamethrower nearby.

..Let alone close my eyes for more than a few minutes.

Bat Vader said:
DustyDrB said:
I'm just ridiculously afraid of spiders, and seeing the ones you guys have. They might actually bite me, but I may die of a heart attack at the sight of one.
I know how you feel. I have terrible arachnophobia. Just thinking about encountering a big spider freaks me out.
I made the mistake of watching the spider part of the Chamber of Secrets when it first came out..

..Never fucking again.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
It would be true to say that there are a lot of dangerous animals in Australia, but the odds of you dying from an encounter with them are pretty remote unless you do something amazingly stupid like stick your dick down a funnel web or try and use a brown snake as a neck tie. Even then, you'd have to be alone and in a remote area.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I don't care if it's dangerous or not, those giant spiders you have are more than enough for me to class it as one of the places I would least like to visit.

PS I am an acrachnopbic

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Well I guess it's probably not as bad as everyone says but...those spiders..."shudder" do not want.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
I heard kangaroos will come into your house through the window and engage in a quick boxing match with you

I'm...

I'm not ready for that

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Well it is true. We do have insane wildlife. But an enormous amount of people live in cities and even if you're in the country you still rarely have a problem.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
zehydra said:
I heard kangaroos will come into your house through the window and engage in a quick boxing match with you

I'm...

I'm not ready for that
Nah, not really.

Sometimes they get a bit territorial is all.

And sometimes they think someone's back yard is their territory.

Most kangaroo-related injuries happen in places where they are used to being fed by local and/or tourists. People get too comfortable with them and forget that they are dealing with a wild animal with big ol' claws and a kick like a mule on steroids. Then someone doesn't hand over the peanuts quick enough and shit gets real.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
I don't think the whole thing comes this idea that Australia's wildlife is mad dangerous or anything, I think it's just that it's MORE dangerous than most other heavily civilized locations. I mean, an explanation of, "Oh, we only get three crocodile attacks a decade" is still worse than living in, I don't know, Russia, where there are no crocodiles.

I mean, let's do a tally:

England:
Almost nothing dangerous as far as I know. Feel free to correct me.

American Southwest:
A few poisonous snakes and arachnids.

American Southeast:
Alligators.

Canada:
Wolves.

South Africa:
Honestly not sure.

India:
Tigers. And Cobras. Okay, that could be fairly bad...

China:
Again, almost nothing as far as I know. As above, feel free to correct.

Russia:
Wovles, I think.

Japan:
Godzilla.

Brazil:
Some poisonous bugs, I believe.

France, Germany, Italy, etc.
Nothing, I think.

Australia:
Crocodiles
Snakes
Dingos
Oh my!

Again, I could be wrong about any of these, so please feel free to correct me. As an ignorant American, I'm always eager to learn.

Sep 14, 2009
Zhukov said:
mmm no, you just made it 10x worse than what I previously thought. Where I live, we have the occasional deer, or dumbass ghetto person with a gun, otherwise no deaths revolve around such vicious wildlife. the spiders here are fast but they are david compared to the goliaths you have roaming your lands, dear god, I'd nuke australia if I knew it would permanently kill your wildlife. I can only pray your wildlife never figures out how to swim/breathe under water...

So yeah, Australia just moved way down on the list of places I want to visit, I don't care how often deaths occur by those monsters, the fact is, they DO OCCUR. and I'm a fucking magnet for things like that..I guarantee as soon as i stepped off a plane I'd be gang banged by 5 spiders and 4 snakes with a kangaroo gettin his foot stuck in my ass.