Do people actually buy games based on Yahtzee's reviews?

recoverytwo

Sep 27, 2009
I for one do , he sold me on The Orange box, A PS3,and many others

and he kept me away form games like sims 3, and skate 2

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I bought Psychonauts because of him, but otherwise not really. But then again, I haven't been buying many games lately anyway.

CloakedOne

Oct 1, 2009
I've noticed some of his reviews address aspects of games to which I am indifferent. Sometimes he finds a certain aspect bad while I find it good. Because of these variables, I refer to Yahtzee as I do other critics: I keep his opinions in mind when deciding on whether or not to buy a game. Yes, his rants are humorous in nature and in purpose, but those who have played the games know that his funny comments are grounded quite firmly in truth. Yahtzee isn't trying to please anyone (except for Escapist for buying his games for him), so I take his opinions as honest ones based in concrete observations. Plus his gaming experience spans all the way to when video games first came out so he knows his stuff (not to mention he can put an academically well-educated spin on his reviews).

Well, I'm done promoting Yahtzee, back to my answer: sometimes yes I do.

Nicolefranklin

Jul 19, 2009
Not at all. ZP is comedy, and should be viewed as comedy first and foremost. Reviews are just a bonus in this context, for me anyway. This is also based on the fact that he always seems way more relaxed about certain games, when talking about them outside of ZP.

What I will do, however, is go back whenever I finish a game that Yatzhee did talk about at some point, and watch that video again. The man is usually always right, and brings up a lot of the same things that I thought while playing said game. But it's all just in good fun, and if a game that he bashed turns out to be as bad as led on in ZP, I'm not gonna sit down and call myself a dumbass for not taking the advice of him, let alone anyone else.

METC

Mar 21, 2009
Like everyone else has already said, he is a comedy source. His points are interesting, and they have opened my eyes a bit on the games industry, but in general, I'm intrigued by games he likes, I'm "meh" for games he hates, and I'm repulsed by games he absolutely hates (although I'm usually already repulsed by the games in question).

Mirroga

Jun 6, 2009
Actual "true" gamers would consider Yahtzee's opinions to be the ultimate nitpicker. If no other review would give actual as well as the worst parts of the game, Yahtzee would. As for the great parts of the game, gamers would still look for "trusty" reviewers to point out the best parts.

I don't agree 100% at Yahtzee's opinions, but he's what I would call the nitpicker, even in good games. Oh, and the comedy is a plus.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
No. I actually liked Mirror's Edge. And most games that he hates. Like "Wet". I do agree with his opinions on Saint's Row 2 and Scribblenauts, though.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I love RTS, he does not.

I love good ol' fashioned pc rpg's, he does not.

I love strategy games in general, he obviously does not.

So no, I don't pay much attention to his reviews because it's become glaringly obvious he and I have different opinion on what constitutes a good game. Still entertaining to watch however and it's always a joy even to see when he's chosen a game I enjoy as his latest target.

Chancie

Sep 23, 2009
No, not really. His videos are just fun to watch but if I followed everything he said about every game, well, I don't think I'd have very many games to begin with. Majority of the games I really like, he would probably hate if he reviewed them. xD

zombflux

Oct 7, 2009
Treblaine said:
zombflux said:
Treblaine said:
zombflux said:
Treblaine said:
I think if anybody doesn't want to pick up Psychonauts after watching Yahtzee's reviews probably have not been paying much attention.
I tried the demo after I watched it. I didn't like it.
Ahh, but he DID convince you to try the demo.
Sure, but if I met a stranger on the street and he said, "hey you should buy Psychonauts, it's really good," I'd do the same.
Well... I think that is just you. And although Yahtzee may ramble on like a crazy guy on the street, unlike a guy on the street he has an audience of thousands of people streaming his video reviews every week and I'd suspect millions of people have seen at least one of his reviews.

I guess that counts for something.
Well I enjoy his videos a lot, I'm not denying that. But trying a demo isn't a big deal at all. I'm pretty much willing to try a demo of anything.

saruto

Sep 20, 2009
I definitely consider what he says, I treat it as valuable information...
It has stopped me from buying games and it has made me look up reviews more thoroughly to see if there are common complaints.
But I have bought games that he has torn apart before.

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
Not at all. He loved CoD 4, I hated it, he disliked halo 3, I enjoyed it. I don't base which games on him since we are basically polar opposite. Although, he is funny, I admit that.

darkfire613

Jun 26, 2009
When he says a game is good, you know it's going to be. Other than that, I don't really buy games based on his reviews, although he might have good points.

bcponpcp27

Jan 9, 2009
They are nothing to base your descions on. Many people like GTA4 MUCH more than Saints Row 2. He has some ridiculous opinions, but he sure is funny when he expresses them.

effilctar

Jul 24, 2009
If we bought only games that Yahtzee likes, our collection would consist of Psychonauts and Saints Row 2.

NBSRDan

Aug 15, 2009
I hope not.

The humor is effective, but when it comes to recommendation, he's just as full of shit as everyone else.

The most obvious example: "The Half-Life series has always been a beacon of excellent design philosophy in the dark, piss-stained swamplands of the video game industry."

scribnerti

Feb 23, 2009
yes. no second thought and i know there are some people who agree with me.
Psychonauts, that's all I have to say.