Do people actually buy games based on Yahtzee's reviews?

HaHaHortness

Dec 31, 2008
Not to say that Yahtzee doesn't have good points, many times I watch his videos thinking, "Finally, someone who agrees with me." But the comments I see in a Yahtzee thread are just unbelievable in how in rhythm everyone is to the review.

"I was considering buying Super Military Adventures because it seems to have many things I like but now that Yahtzee has bashed it I know not to even try it out."

Like I said, he has good points, but you really should be careful when listening to someone who's made a career out of always giving bad reviews. Okay, so he's made good reviews, but he's also said in reviews things to the effect of, "People don't like it when I give good reviews so I'll just stomp on everything I don't like."

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
God no, It's a comedy source. He has SOME good points, but doesn't know how to lay back and just LIKE something.

His standards are very high, and that's alright for him BUT my standards are not as high and thus as a example, I loved Prototype, and Red Faction Guerrila, even though they aparently sucked. I loved them becausre I knew what to expect. Where as with Yahtzee, I think he only reads the hype and not the content when learning about a game ahead of the time.

That's just my opinion though :p

MajorKris

Aug 10, 2009
I find him amusing more than anything. And it's just more entertaining if he happens to review a game that I have already played, but deciding whether to buy a game because he likes it or not, I don't really listen on that. I do my own research and such before I buy my games.

Rascarin

Feb 8, 2009
I bought Saints Row 2 because he said it was fun... and it was!

I tend not to take Yahtzee too seriously though. He is more comedian than reviewer, really, and I prefer to make my own opinions.

wrex_arkantos

Oct 19, 2009
Nope. I just watch his reviews for a few laughs, thats all. If i everything he said seriously, i might not have bought anything this gen apart from cod4, saints row and portal

Spaghetti

Goes Well With Pesto
Sep 2, 2009
I did buy Saints Row 2 based on his review...and I did avoid Wii Resort Sport based on his review (although in my mind, he was sort of pointing out the obvious).

But apart from those two, I only really watch ZP for a pick-me-up on a slow wednesday. If I'm considering a game, I won't go to Yahtzee first...

Rathy

Aug 21, 2008
I do a bit. But in the wrong way you'd expect. As it stands, my taste in games is a slight bit polar to Yahtzee's, so I can gather if I'll like it based on exactly what he bashes. Though he also did make my buy Psychonauts...

jp11

Oct 24, 2008
I'll listen to his opinions, he won't prevent me from buying a game I was planning to buy, but his endorsement can make me seriously look at a game I hadn't considered.

Honkymagoo

Oct 28, 2009
We tend to share some similar views on video games. If I'm on the fence about whether or not I'm going to buy a game he can sway me along with the word from friends that I trust for video game opinions and certain reviewers. I can generally tell whether or not I'm going to like a game long before it even comes out, though.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
I don't use reviewers to heavily influence my game purchases, I only use them for entertainment.

If game taste tends to be a varying thing, why would you let someone else decide it for you? They have to have massive amounts of reasons for it to even begin to affet my opinion of a game towards bad, I don't even pay too much attention when they say it's good.

Short story shorter: I merely use them for entertainment, not actual information.

zacobar

The Last Crunkbender
Aug 11, 2009
I've followed what he's said and never been led wrong, in fact I've held off Brutal Legend to get his take and am glad to hear it esspecially after hearing everyone else's take on it.

He's not a comedian, he really tries to educate. He just happens to be funny because he really doesn't give a shit about what we think. I respect that.

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
A little of yes and a little of no. For instance, I thought the Fable games were entertaining in their own ways, so I can't say that I fully agree with him there. However, most of his other stuff is right on, such as the Oblivion review. I love Oblivion, and I still play it, but I hate those God damned NPCs.

gamepopper101

Aug 12, 2009
You know what I hate, I buy a game I've been waiting for months to get, and enjoy every minute of it, only to find that his next review is that very game. That happened to me twice, I hated his review of The Conduit, but I was kind of confused with his Bowser's Inside Story review, I had no idea whether he liked it more or he hated it more, though I love it.

oblivion lover

Jul 24, 2009
i do because he tends to be right i got overlord 2 for my brithday and i ended up hating it the same wit GTA4 and a few games he said not to bye he dose tend to be right as hes played them and unless he was to basterdise the warcraft serise i will take his revews

and i mean the warcraft serise nor WOW as i think WOW is crap

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Furburt said:
I certainly avoid buying games he absolutely hates. Not because of some twisted fandom, just that when I buy a game he blams it always turns out to be horrible.
I wish I had watched his Halo Wars review before I bought the game.
At least I got a full refund.

Most of Yahtzee's stuff seems quite accurate to me.