Do people actually buy games based on Yahtzee's reviews?

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
You should watch Yahtzee for the comedy not the reviews.

Sadly a lot people do just the opposite.

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
Generally speaking, Yahtzee tends to complain about the same shit that would put me off after purchasing a game. It's saved me a few bucks. The occasional times I decide to defy his clairvoyant words, I usually regret the purchase. For instance, Prototype and Dead Space.

And... When I've purchased games he's strongly recommended, I've been generally satisfied. In this case: Painkiller, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky, and Saints Row 2 (although I already owned the last one, and loved it).

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
I've played about...
four?
out of all the games he's ever reviewed.

Not because he doesn't rate the others highly.
mostly because I didn't give a shit about them in the beginning.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Only if I want the game anyway, if he says it's shit I ignore him, if he likes it then I have confirmation that it will be good, because I pretty much agree with everything he says.

Krythe

Oct 29, 2009
I like to think of Yahtzee's reveiws more as stand-up comedy routines than actual feedback, since the only things he's EVER given positive reveiws to are the classic games that every single person on this planet without some sort of labotomy owns and loves (Prince of Persia, Silent Hill 2, e.t.c).

And the games to which he assigns astoundingly negative reviews are the ones most of us can recognize as shit and likely weren't gonna get anyways, like Sonic #108 and Tomb Raider #792.

Would I buy a game because he recomended it? No, but I might take a closer look at it if I've heard other good things. Would I deter myself from buying a game because he bashed it? No because he bashes essentially everything. It's his entertainment niche and there's nothing wrong with that, on the contrary, human beings like to see people or franchises getting bashed and taking falls. (Accept your nature, join us on the dark side *sith lightning*.)

Talendra

Hail, Ilpalazzo!
Jan 26, 2009
Well I factor in his points on if I will buy a game, but he is only a small part of the decision. He is also very good to kill off hype so I do not expect too much.
That being said if he loves a game, I will dam well buy that game. He does take alot to truly impress and he hasn't loved a bad one yet as far as I know.

The Warden

Oct 6, 2009
I see Yahtzee as a kind of Stephen Colbert, because even though Stephen's technically a newsman you don't watch him for the news, you watch him to laugh.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
[to OP]
No, I very much enjoy his videos and often agree with his points, but it takes more than that for me to choose to buy or discourage from buying a game.

Baron_Rouge

Oct 30, 2009
Well, I take his advice when he recommends a game, because it pretty much has to be good, but if he doesn't like it there's a good chance it's awesome anyway (For example Dead Space, Oblivion, Soul Calibur IV, The Conduit)

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
If he truly bashes a game and really hates it, then I will agree with him and probably not buy it.

gamepopper101

Aug 12, 2009
The Bandit said:
gamepopper101 said:
You know what I hate, I buy a game I've been waiting for months to get, and enjoy every minute of it, only to find that his next review is that very game. That happened to me twice, I hated his review of The Conduit, but I was kind of confused with his Bowser's Inside Story review, I had no idea whether he liked it more or he hated it more, though I love it.
You know what I hate? People who think someone else's opinion somehow hampers their own enjoyment of something. If you like/dislike something, then fuck what everyone else thinks. It's YOUR opinion. Why should their opinion affect your enjoyment of anything?
Oh it didn't effect my enjoyment, I just find it worse than not buying the games at all because of his reviews.

KhaosElement

May 14, 2009
God I hope not, I would hope people would read a lot of reviews, possibly rent it, and chose for themselves if they like the game or not.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I only tried out Painkiller after watching his review, I really needed a mindless shooter at the time, and it was indeed as entertaining as he said it would be. Other than that no, I only buy games after trying them out, demo's or otherwise.

CuervoJoe

Apr 13, 2009
I take a little notice of his reviews, but not too much. I've loved games he hates, Scribblenauts for example.

I find his reviews very enjoyable, but I don't buy or not buy games based on his reviews unless I've heard terrible reviews elsewhere.

This is my policy with all reviews, as I find everyone has different tastes in games, and a review is always an opinion, not a fact.

JopperJopJop

Apr 1, 2010
piearenice said:
If you only bought games Yahtzee liked, you would own portal.....that's it.

(He did kind of like Saints Row 2 so mabye that also)
You'd also own Batman AA Phyconauts Duknukem and a few others.

run_forrest_run

Dec 28, 2009
Even when Yahtzee bashes games I love I understand all of his points. If he had told me god of war 3 was okay before I played it I wouldn't listen though.

spacecowboy86

Jan 7, 2010
hells yea. i listen to his complaints and think to myself "would that problem annoy the crap out of me?" and if there aren't any "yeah that would really suck"s i do some more research and see how cheap it is then possibly buy it.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
sorta? I listen to what he says, and if he bashes gears of war cuz it's all shades of brown and has too many chest high walls, I ignore it. if he bashes a game because it has a story so thin you can see through it with a bag over your head, then i don't buy the game cuz i hate shallow stories.