Do people actually buy games based on Yahtzee's reviews?

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Kind of.
I watch his reviews, laugh, and take note on if there are any issues in the game that he had problems with and see if they would annoy me aswell. But i'll also watch/read other reviews to see what they say and then reach a verdict afterwards.

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
I don't watch ZP for objective reviews of a game, I watch it because it's hilarious. If I want an honest perspective of a game I'll watch gameplay videos on youtube and make up my own mind.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
short answer, no.
long answer, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I like his reviews as entertainment, not really as reviews. I'll wait for the escapist to formally review it if I really want to see a review of a game. Yahtzee usually picks out a few general gripes about a game, and then flames them into oblivion - which is usually hilarious, but not really a review.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Nope. I buy the game because its something I want. Hell he didn't like Mafia 2 or Wolfenstein much, but I still enjoyed playing through them.

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
Spaghetti said:
I did buy Saints Row 2 based on his review...and I did avoid Wii Resort Sport based on his review (although in my mind, he was sort of pointing out the obvious).

But apart from those two, I only really watch ZP for a pick-me-up on a slow wednesday. If I'm considering a game, I won't go to Yahtzee first...
Same here. Any game that meets Yahtzee's high standards is definitely worth getting.

Tolerant Fanboy

Aug 5, 2009
I've never based a game purchase on a ZP. I did buy one game before he reviewed it, which increased my squee levels by a factor of 1.6, but not the other way around.

Ildecia

Nov 8, 2009
nope. I have my own opinion on the games i buy, and if he's right, then he's right.

AyaReiko

Aug 9, 2008
Bought Painkiller solely because of his review.

How can you go wrong with a game that has a gun that shoots shurikens and lightning?

MentalMyles

Jul 12, 2010
Yahtzee has his own taste in gaming so why would you buy only the stuff he likes? Granted, you'll save a lot of money at the end of the day but it wont help the fact that your a very shallow person.

I personally don't take his reviews to heart, I enjoy watching them and laughing at some of the stuff I'll agree with him on but I'm also my own person. I buy whatever I want and enjoy whatever I want.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Not really, I like making my own opinion on things first. Even if a game gets a ton of bad reviews, I'll check it out for myself.
So actually, the more he insults it, the more I want to play.

Amerikhan

Sep 2, 2010
Furburt said:
I certainly avoid buying games he absolutely hates. Not because of some twisted fandom, just that when I buy a game he blams it always turns out to be horrible.
This. Even the games that I own [like or dislike] that he slammed, all his criticism was valid. I definitely, definitely take his reviews into large consideration before I buy anything.

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
Not really. Everybody wants something different from video games, and I always get the impression that Yahtzee is after perfection. It makes for hilarious video reviews though.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
I cannot say I have bought a game because he liked it, but I have personally avoided a few based on how he has described them to be.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Well, no, not really. Yahtzee isn't my go-to source for gaming recommendations, he is my go-to source for a laugh.

For example, I really, really enjoyed the demo of K&L2 and am thinking of bying the full game some day even if its short as hell and the story's terrible.

He does manage to be spot-on at times. Like with Bad Company 2.

Tim_Buoy

Jul 7, 2010
well he doesnt review games he is a critic he bashes the things he hates about the game while mentioning some good stuff

kidwithxboxlive

Aug 24, 2010
dududf said:
God no, It's a comedy source. He has SOME good points, but doesn't know how to lay back and just LIKE something.

His standards are very high, and that's alright for him BUT my standards are not as high and thus as a example, I loved Prototype, and Red Faction Guerrila, even though they aparently sucked. I loved them becausre I knew what to expect. Where as with Yahtzee, I think he only reads the hype and not the content when learning about a game ahead of the time.

That's just my opinion though :p
prototype: possibly the best game i played ever
RFG: not played but looks cool

GameGoddess101

Jun 11, 2009
Not really. I bought Psychonauts, GoW 1 and 2 and PoP:SoT based on his reviews, but then those were positive reviews. I usually take whatever he says with a grain of salt. He has come out and said he will PURPOSELY trash a game because it isn't funny when he likes a game. As aforementioned, he's more of a comedian than a reviewer.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I've learned that games he absolutely loves aren't always something worth buying for my tastes
but games that he absolutely hates...like not "oh I don't like the fact that it's mainstream and/or 'mediocre' IMO" but like...games that he and most likely everyone else would ABHOR...well those are obvious no's

Snarky Username

Elite Member
Apr 4, 2010
His reviews have never stopped me from buying something, I'm going to try out Mirror's Edge tonight, for example. But if he likes a game enough, I might look at it to see if it really is that good. So far I've done it with Painkiller and Psychonauts, and both of the games have been really good. They both have flaws, but are still fun to play.