do people hate things that are mainstream or popular?

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
is it me or do people hate things that are mainstream or popular without reason?

insectoid

Aug 19, 2008
A lot of people hate mainstream and popular things simply because they are such. Those people like to be different, just 'cause they can.

toapat

Mar 28, 2009
i hate mainstream and popular things entirely (excluding Gears of War 2 and WoW) because they generally suck or will get me hacked

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
occasionally yes...
i mainly hate mainstream music, i dunno why, im just a fan of the oldies and alternative stuff
and sometimes gothic or metal... XD
also hate mainstream fashion, i'd rather be comfy

Kirosilence

Nov 28, 2007
insectoid said:
A lot of people hate mainstream and popular things simply because they are such. Those people like to be different, just 'cause they can.
The irony being that in trying to be different, they wind up just like the other mass of people trying to be different.

I think it's simply because "Mainstream" tends to be lumped in with "Made for all Markets" which usually means a lower quality product. In this case, games tend to be worse off when they are marketed to more than just gamers.

dashiz94

Apr 14, 2009
Yeah, I see your point. Some people try to stay away from the mainstream because we have this mindset that involvement is uncool. However, I believe a lot of reasons people hate mainstream is because it ends up being a cash cow. Take the Jonas Brothers for exampl, they're talented musicians (and no one with half a brain can argue that) yet they are hated for being mainstream by making music that has already been made because the record company knows that little girls and teenagers all over the world will adore their unoriginal lyrics and cute looks. This is what I have heard, no one call me gay. So in a nutshell, yeah, a lot of peole hate mainstream things, but some people still like it. The difference is if people like it because of the label they put on it, or if they value the actual product for its worth.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
It's always been trendy to hate the things which everyone else seems to like... some people will hate things that are mainstream for no reason other than that.

MonkeySlayer

Feb 13, 2008
If people hated them, they wouldn't be mainstream... or by definition, popular. What people don't realise is that the two, whilst assumed to be synonyms, can be opposites too.
e.g. With M$ Windows being mainstream and marketed, people don't like it... plus the fact that it's mostly crap for programming certain things, thus these people move onto Mac or Linux, thereby making them more popular among a certain demographic, because they need them/can use them to a greater potential.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
I think theres a couple of people who don't like it. I like it but there are somethings that are annoying.

ZorroFonzarelli

Jan 5, 2009
HA! Something I might fit in at! :)

As far as "mainstream" goes, it all comes down to Hype as far as I'm concerned. Personally, I can't stand hype.

Generally speaking, if I like something that most everyone else likes, I can deal with it, but I certainly don't go nuts over it.

If I don't really care about something (one way or another) and it is over-hyped, I will grow to loathe it. I have never seen the movie Shreck. Why? I am sick of hearing about it. Maybe I would have given it a chance, but I am sick of the hoopla and have sworn never to subject myself to suffering through it...

If I can't stand something from the get-go and it is overhyped, I want to get torches and pitchforks.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
sometimes. for example, i hate Fred. I wouldn't have a problem with him if he actually DESERVED his popularity. Also I hate mainstream rock, rap, hiphop, ect. because it's all that's on the radio.

insectoid

Aug 19, 2008
Kirosilence said:
insectoid said:
The irony being that in trying to be different, they wind up just like the other mass of people trying to be different.
Precisely, my friend.

Not that I like anything mainstream. I'm too different. I'm an individual. Get away, NOBODY COULD EVER UNDERSTAND ME!

m_jim

Jan 14, 2008
seydaman said:
is it me or do people hate things that are mainstream or popular without reason?
I don't hate popular culture; I simply try to abstain from it. Buying into the mainstream, in my opinion, pushes you to simply settle for what is in front of you rather than find what it is that you really want. There are times that what is popular is also what you happen to like, but I refuse to like something simply because a bunch of other people think it's cool.

m_jim

Jan 14, 2008
Sorry to post twice in a row, but...
Kirosilence said:
insectoid said:
And the further irony being that "freethinking" people have made this same argument millions of times over.

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
seydaman said:
Is it me or do people only like things because they're mainstream or popular?

I mean really, think of how many music groups/artists there are in the world. The mainstream maybe shows you 25% of them, isn't it far more likely you'd enjoy something unknown than something known? And yet people label things that are unpopular as 'bad', because if it was good it would be popular. Right? RIGHT!??!

Lastbayking

Mar 19, 2009
Well here's a personal example. I refuse to play as the ninja/pirates/aliens because so many people are playing them. So I felt compelled to be different, but zombies suck...

space_oddity

Oct 24, 2008
I used to love Kings of Leon, then Only By The Night became popular and now i kind of resent them for it. I know its so stupid and immature, but everytime some 40 year old woman says "Oh, have you heard of this new band the Knights of Leon?" a small part of me dies.

jaammiie

Master of the Universe
Jun 3, 2007
Like I always say. You are unique; just like everyone else. (I know it was on some badge...)