Do video games affect you in real life?

jamesc

Jul 30, 2008
I never thought that I wouldhave any reaction to things in real life that remind me of video-games, but today I heard a printer that sounds like a turret locking onto you in bioshock. I nearly jumped out of my seat, and for one second wondered what plasmid I was going to use and whether or not I had any ammo. Have any of you ever had experiances like this?

(I think there was a thread like this a while back but I dont care. Read this one.)

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
No not really, but I do see Sonic (the great 2D Sonic) running over the things I'm looking at when I don't concentrate...

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
you know something, if I sit down hands in my lap my fingers an hands all go in the same positional shape they would if I was holding an Xbox 360 controller. That scares me.
And yeah I have had points where I suddenly 'enter the game in real life forgetting where I am' often at the worst possible times.

the worst though was when I was going on a long Oblivion Binge, playing as my Argonian character... getting used to the magical 'save first then make choice if you don't like choice reload'. I actually started using to apply to the real world, it took me a while to remember that I couldn't reverse my own future.

Ricky 49

Jan 10, 2009
after a weekend session of fallout 3 i walked passed a puddle and thought to myself

*well i am thirsty*

fortunatly i snapped out of it pretty quickly

oh and after playing dead space for a whole week i started doing quick visual sweeps everytime i entered a room

and lasty

one morining i got up burnt my toast, spilt my tea, the shower was cold and was late for college and at that point i muttered outlound

"I hate this fucking game"

so yeah they affect me
a bit too much.......

i like games

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
The institute where I currently work has a staircase.
Whenever I go there, I hear the howling of air being shoved through it by the air conditioner.

I swear, it sounds exactly like the howling winds in the lower, darker levels of Arx Fatalis. Scary.

Kranoes

Apr 14, 2009
Ehh i have better handeye coordination now .-.
Well now back to bulid more Suppy Depos

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
I was having a dream in which I was playing GTA4 and I woke up thinking it was time to go to bed and turn my pc off.
It was 3 A.M.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
I have said this in an earlier thread but one time when I'd been playing too much Splinter Cell I looked up at a light on the ceiling and held up my arm to it. It took me a couple of seconds to realise I didn't have a magical hacking device on my wrist.

MiserableOldGit

Apr 1, 2009
No sleep for a weekend, mixed with, ah, alcohol, yeah, er alcohol, interspersed with long periods of gaming and nightclub strobe lighting has left me seeing heads up displays in the corner of my eye. No guns or zombies though. Maybe if I dont sleep for four days...

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
Ricky 49 said:
after a weekend session of fallout 3 i walked passed a puddle and thought to myself

*well i am thirsty*

fortunatly i snapped out of it pretty quickly
Could've been worse. You've could've been looking at the toilet. XD

When I wake up in the morning, I immediately put my left arm in front of my face to attempt to get dressed.

Crumblebumble

May 14, 2009
If I'm really tired and half asleep, sometimes I panic, forget I'm real, and think I should have saved my game, i.e. my life. That's pretty mental and scary.

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
I did a weekend-long, no-sleep Mass Effect binge and then started looking for good places to use as cover whenever I entered a room. Aside from that...I have a feeling I think I'm tougher than I actually am. Like, I THINK I could handle myself pretty well in a fight despite having only basic kick-boxing skills. I have this feeling I could pretty much take down anyone who crossed my path, but in reality I'd probably get my butt kicked. Oh well.