Do you believe in luck?

I Have No Idea

Aug 5, 2011
Luck doesn't exactly line up with my religious beliefs, but I know some part of me does believe in luck. It's just fun to, you know?

CAPTCHA: Urthdat lives.

All hail Urthdat!

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Well, I don't believe that by some force people will own a consistent amount of luck, but I do believe that everything is just chance, as in "shit happens".

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
I believe that luck is just a word we sue for random events that go in our favor.

All hail Urthdat!

nukethetuna

Nov 8, 2010
If I were going to subscribe to some COSMIC LIFE-ALTERING FORCE it would probably be luck/fortune. Though deep down I know fortune/luck and misfortune/unluckiness are just unlikely probabilities on either end of the spectrum.

Unless you mean luck as in a person can HAVE luck? As in chance events will often go their way? I guess, but it's less of a supernatural spiritual force and more of a descriptive word for that occurrence.

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
Do I believe in luck?

Man, I am Luck. You'd better believe it.

In fact, I am lucky enough to get to report the user above me, which will lead to his imminent ban.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Odds and chance are just negative/positive forms of luck. If you believe in them and beating them, then you believe in luck.

I believe in luck, I believe in chance, and I believe in faith. I believe in a lot of those small things that make up human nature. Just cause I do.

well, that and I missed being struck by lightning, which I attribute to luck.

Lawrence McGee

Oct 25, 2011
Oh joy.

edit: Luck or fortuity is good fortune which occurs beyond one's control, without regard to one's will, intention, or desired result. There are at least two senses people usually mean when they use the term, the prescriptive sense and the descriptive sense. In the prescriptive sense, luck is the supernatural and deterministic concept that there is a force which prescribes that certain events occur very much the way the laws of physics will prescribe that certain events occur. It is the prescriptive sense that people mean when they state that they "do not believe in luck." In the descriptive sense, luck is merely a name we give to events after they occur which we find to be fortuitous.

The laws of probability must exist, whether or not they are merely an automated system or there is an invisible hand (Lady Luck) calling the shots is something else again.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Yeah. Just because I so happen to have some of the most consistent bad luck EVER! When things don't go my way, it comes in succession until I go to sleep. Like how every freaking time I post on the Escapist more than once a day, I get a damn CAPTCHA. SPOT CHECK MY ASS!

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Lawrence McGee said:
Your new here, you might want to watch for low-content posts. The mod's will jump you on stuff like that quick. Edit it man, just to be safe.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
maybe there is no Luck.
only Urthdat.

OT: i'm luckier than... lucky people.

Palademon said:
Well, I don't believe that by some force people will own a consistent amount of luck, but I do believe that everything is just chance, as in "shit happens".
i see luck as 'shit happens, just not to me.'

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
Whateveralot said:
Do I believe in luck?

Man, I am Luck. You'd better believe it.

In fact, I am lucky enough to get to report the user above me, which will lead to his imminent ban.
Actually, a short bit of research makes me think that he's neither a bot nor an advertiser, and therefore does not deserve a ban. That book actually has luck as a pretty major component (if wikipedia is to be trusted [which it probably is with this type of thing]): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teela_Brown

As for myself, nah, I don't believe in luck as a thing that someone can have or as a force that affects our lives. There's just coincidences, some good, some bad.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Luck isn't exactly something you can believe in. It's the cumulative result of a large number of probabilities.

What one can believe in is some sort of force that causes things to happen for a reason. Luck doesn't have a reason. It just happens

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
I use the word luck to describe the cause of any very unlikely outcome, but I don't beleive in some karma-esque force that controls it.

Mrmac23

Aug 12, 2011
I do believe in luck. I also believe that my luck immediately plummets when something is made easy in order to make it as hard as physically possible. I'd like to take a moment to mention that Lady Luck is a hooker.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Mrmac23 said:
I do believe in luck. I also believe that my luck immediately plummets when something is made easy in order to make it as hard as physically possible. I'd like to take a moment to mention that Lady Luck is a hooker.
It makes sense. You'd need to be lucky not to catch something from a hooker.