Do you believe that obama will follow through at all on his message of change for the better

ScaryAlmond

Sep 12, 2011
So basically I saw this video earlier and it follows a constant trend with this guy I see so many moderate people following him and it doesn't make sense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB5Q1dlpnQs&list=UU1yBKRuGpC1tSM73A0ZjYjQ&index=3&feature=plcp

So basically wanted to gauge a proper publics opinion on whether anyone like him anymore cause I don't really know why people don't just vote for a third party

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I don't think he will. He's tried for things and not been able to get them, others he's been careful not to acknowledge, which has been interpreted as a betrayal by various people, not without cause.

But then, the question is not merely whether he will improve things, but whether he will produce less problems then other potential PotUS. He looks favourable compared to certain others.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
He's a politician, so of course he won't. He is however, the best choice of a very bad lot for the next election. In summary, US politics really suck, and it makes me glad to be in the UK.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
He's a politician, so of course he won't. He is however, the best choice of a very bad lot for the next election. In summary, US politics really suck, and it makes me glad to be in the UK.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
No, I don't but in fairness to him, I don't think anyone we elect will follow through on anything. This is partially due to the fact our government is designed to never get anything done, ever. Both sides will continually fight with each other and the status quo continues. Even if you elected someone who fully intended to follow through on everything, he'd be shot down at every turn by Republicans, or Democrats if he is a Republican, or the ignorant masses as well.
Nothing is ever going to change.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Wandering_Hero said:
As someone from the UK our choices really aren't much better.

Do we go with the people who lied about the Iraq war and stood by Blair no matter what, or do we go with the people privitsing the NHS, attack protesters, and doing all they can to avoid taxing the rich.

Man we really aren't so different to America
They're a lot saner than most the Republican candidates for the next election. While I really don't agree with what the Conservatives are doing at least we don't have any major parties trying to make this an absolute Christian nation, there isn't any outcry over us having public healthcare, and it almost looks like Cameron might make gay marriage legal. We still have a lot of problems, but it's nowhere near as bad as America.

SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
You enjoying your Cameron over there? Haha, England is so fucking beta. I mean, Cameron? Im so glad I live in Ger-

...Fuck.
Eh, he's probably the most alpha of all the choices we have, although that's not saying much. Ed Milliband just seems like a lame duck of a leader, and Nick Clegg is just Cameron's lapdog. Oh, and I took the liberty of illustrating the differences between how American & British leaders get to work.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Well, whether there is change or not really isn't up to just him. Just because the president says he wants to do something doesn't mean it will even make it to the actual decision making systems never mind make it through them to become reality.

Also, why people don't vote for a 3rd party option? Because in a clearly established 2 party system, voting for a 3rd option is tantamount to throwing your vote away. And in a situation where the electoral race may be literally determined by hundreds of votes here and there, a single vote thrown away is something most people just will not do even if it just means voting for what they deem to be the lesser evil.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Of course not.

I voted for him hoping for a health care system in line with the rest of the developed world, DOMA tossed out with nationally recognized marriage as existing between two consenting adults, a balanced budget - preferably via a return to pre WWII era tax rates, and more regulation of the financial market and corporations. Transferring subsidies from oil to alternative energy companies would have been nice too.

Haven't really seen any of that.

But I'll still re-elect him as he's better than the alternatives unless Romney can convince me he will leave his religion at home (Santorum has already convinced me he won't) and just focus on the economy and healthcare; leaving social issues alone.

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
The US really needs to get out of its two party political system because right now it seems that the two parties are more intent on simply blocking the other's path, more than actually getting anything done.

There is no voice of the people. For the past 10-15 years it seems that the main reason the chosen president became president is not because he was an ideal candidate, but just to stop 'the other contender' from becoming president. Obama may have been a good candidate, but being a democrat gave him too many natural enemies to effectively get anything done.

Unless some major changes are made to the whole system, it doesn't really matter who becomes president. Get a hobo from the street into the white house, and he wouldn't be able to help the homeless because everything he proposes will be blocked.

Mar 9, 2010
StriderShinryu said:
Also, why people don't vote for a 3rd party option?
You mean there's other parties, not just Republicans and Democrats? I couldn't even begin to fathom how insignificant the other parties must feel.

OT: No. America isn't actually ready and willing to change for the betterment of other people when it comes at their own cost. Nationalising the healthcare system would have been brilliant for America, it works wonders everywhere it goes, and you all shit a fucking brick when the words "public health" were uttered. I'm not aware of all the changes Obama wanted to make but he'll never be able to get the support he needs; America just isn't willing to go left enough.

Wandering_Hero said:
As someone from the UK our choices really aren't much better.

Do we go with the people who lied about the Iraq war and stood by Blair no matter what, or do we go with the people privitsing the NHS, attack protesters, and doing all they can to avoid taxing the rich.

Man we really aren't so different to America
I happily support labour. I would have been willing to lean towards the Lib Dems because I don't have a lot of confidence in Milliband but not now, not after how Clegg and the Lib Dems became Cameron's bitches so they could fail a voting referendum. No, I'd rather have Labour. They may not be as left as I want them to be right now but they're a damn lot better than the conservatives.

I'd much sooner have war and a welfare state than peace and no healthcare; I despise right wing politics.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Esotera said:
Oh, and I took the liberty of illustrating the differences between how American & British leaders get to work.

Wait, what are you trying to say with this? Like what's the point?

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Lionsfan said:
Wait, what are you trying to say with this? Like what's the point?
It was just an off-topic observation that I've been thinking about, it didn't have any particular relevance to the rest of my post. I suppose you could make the point that America can tend to go with overkill situations whereas Britain doesn't? I didn't really mean that though, just thought it was an amusing comparison.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Esotera said:
You enjoying your Cameron over there? Haha, England is so fucking beta. I mean, Cameron? Im so glad I live in Ger-

...Fuck.
I'm going to need several litres of brain bleach after that.

Obama seems the best choice for the US at the moment, he isn't insane or rabidly anti-gay like Santorum.

dvd_72

Jun 7, 2010
With the ammount of things he promised to do, could he ever really do it all? I think he just got stuck with a bad lot and has done the best he could. I mean, he's working on public healthcare right? From where I stand, that's a good thing.

To be fair, my grasp on world politics isn't all that strong. I'm likely missing out on several big things.

Soraryuu

Aug 16, 2009
American democracy is funny. You constantly talk about choosing the lesser of two evils, and completely ignore the fact you're shoveling shit into the White House, election after election after election.

Get your back into it, anti-republicrat movements!