Do you care about achievements or trophies?

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
King Billi said:
I like trophies, they can be a decent incentive to continue playing sometimes.
This sums up why I dislike them. This and the bragging, but strangely (maybe because I'm not on xbox live) I've yet to hear anyone irl brag about an achievement.

Master_Fubar23

Jun 25, 2009
I only care about the ones that are hard to get. Like getting the hardest achievement on Vanquish. Felt so great getting it and others that are worth the time to achieve.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Yes. I just came from another "quitting gaming" thread and I see that these are the only things that will get me to play through the game to the finish at times.

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
I used to be a bit trophy-obsessive; I'd try to get every trophy I possibly could on my first play-through of a game, but it ended up spoiling the whole experience and I learned to actually go and enjoy the game first, then decide later if it was good enough to warrant future trophy-hunting. It becomes nothing more than a chore if you go about it that way. Still, it bothers me when I see a bunch of games in my trophy collection with less than 50% completion. I must learn to accept that continuing to play shit like Tomb Raider: Underworld just to get the trophies would be abusing myself.

Trophies are a decent if stream-lined way to add replay value. And when done wrong, they just fucking blow, but at least it's something you can totally ignore.

Ahhhhhhhh, that false sense of accomplishment I get when I platinum a game after hours of dedication and overcoming obstacles.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
I don't care too much. It's nice when they pop up but it's nothing more than a, "Oh, hey, cool" moment.
And I think achievements are much cooler than trophies.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I enjoyed games before achievements, I don't see how they would make a major difference. I'll look through them and sometimes see something that looks fun to do but other than they I just play the game how I like.

I am totally going to be one of those old people who rejects new technology and insists that the stuff I have is fine. Who needs a touchscreen, my controller/mouse and keyboard work just fine!

KiloFox

Aug 16, 2011
i love 'em and i typically try and 100% my games. ESPECIALLY if they're good enough to deserve it.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
I'll try to grab an achievement/trophy if I'm close to achieving it, but if I have to go radically out of my way for it or I can't figure it out, I give up and get back hording all of the currency in the game.

herbortamus

Aug 25, 2011
I used to be one of the ones who would play a crappy game just for the achievements. Currently I have over 53K points. But since I started going back to school, I don't have as much time or money. And I have since decided not to play games just for cheevies.

However, if anyone here is wants some achievement help:
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/achievements/
This is a great website.

Or, if you want the PS3 version:
http://www.ps3trophies.org/

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I like achievements but don't like gamerscore.

Gamerscore seems pointless to me when you get more for a 10 hit combo in Avatar The Burning Earth than you do for Mile High Club in CoD4.

The only time I'll deliberately go for an achievement is when it gives me an in-game bonus. Mass Effect did this very well by giving power/ability boosts and letting you assign bonus powers and weapons to other classes depending on the achievements you unlocked.

ThisGuyLikesNoTacos

Dec 7, 2012
No not really, but they do give me more motivation to play the game for longer (as long as I somewhat enjoy the game) which is a good thing.

TakeshiLive

Mar 8, 2012
Hollow and token sense of accomplishment through a slowly rising number with a "G" at the end? Sign me up!

27201G right now. Ah, time well wasted.

White_Lama

Feb 23, 2011
I care about them on the Xbox 360, not on Steam.

Only max out/nearly max out games I like tough, none of the shitty games with 1000 GS that you can get in about 10 minutes.

Would like to be able to delete games and achievements from the list tough, don't want some crappy non-finished games on my list. Granted, I'd lose some of my 48k'ish Gamerscore, but I don't mind that, rather have 100% in all games.

Baron_Rouge

Oct 30, 2009
I do, they give me a good sense of progression and a good motivation to keep playing the game. I only care abou them for the games I really love though. I think they're a good idea.

Plus, there was that awesome moment in Spec Ops: The Line (I don't think I need spoilers for this...) where you come across a corpse hanging from the ceiling, blackened and mutilated, and as you walk towards it and finally reach it, you hear the ding of a trophy popping. A trophy called "The Horror". That bit was so wonderfully hollow, it really made me question my moties. I'm doing horrible things to people, and for what? A meaningless virtual achievement? Is this what gaming has become? That was an awesome moment, in my eyes.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Yes, I like achievements.
I'm not too obsessed with them, but I enjoy getting them.
I don't bother getting all on every game, but I do try to get most of them.

May 17, 2010
It's a nice feeling getting one, comparable to finding a Euro in you pocket. I will try to get the easy ones but certainly don't keep playing the game until I get them all.