Do you enjoy ASMR?

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
1,050
0
0
No. I generally find ASMR to be creepy and annoying. Some of my university students are really into eating sounds and that shit is too much for me. I was always taught to eat with my mouth closed and that kind of ASMR makes my skin crawl.

If I am having trouble sleeping, I just wear ear plugs. The sound of me breathing through my own head is often enough to put me out.
 

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
5,462
0
0
Saelune said:
ASMR has been taken over by fetishists.
Well thats the internet for you. Sex and fetishes will usually take over a new thing.

I find it hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMlTkqpVx9I
 
Apr 17, 2009
1,751
0
0
Started getting into ASMR videos about four years ago, since I started having work related early mornings and needed a way of making my sleep schedule something other than the irregular nonsense it was before. The tingles help relax me and even without those the soothing nature shuts up the chatter in my head that normally keeps me awake. Started using them to deal with stress lately, when my thoughts just get tangled round themselves ASMR is a good way to unknot
 

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
4,400
2,201
118
Country
United States
Well, there's a Japanese dude that makes knives out of weird stuff and never talks or has background music that triggers that response with me. And there's always Bob Ross.

So, I guess so?
 

Nuuu

New member
Jan 28, 2011
530
0
0
They don't make me feel anything, so its a no in that sense, but I do enjoy seeing the more ridiculous or crazy themes some people come up with.

I mean I don't care what this video has to do with ASMR, it's content is good by itself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD4xqV1XM9w (I miss video embedding).

Also shout-out to Funky Kong ASMR.
 

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
4,953
6
13
Am a very audio sensitive creature, like these ears are clitorises stretched over my whole body, so would imagine asmr being pretty effective. Love to lose the self in soundscapes, of many genres. It's probably an upgrade to the regular casual domestic violence noises, neglected babies and cat murder screams that occur around this area at least
 

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
5,655
23
13
I love it! I'll usually go for it when I'm reading or need some help calming down to go to sleep. I've got a soft spot for tapping and those hand sounds.
 

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
3,703
1,750
118
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Gender
Male
My buddy and I are self-proclaimed ?hot heads? (we like spicy foods and enjoy testing our heat limits,) and tomorrow we?re doing the Paqui One Chip challenge. We have to eat a single tortilla chip coated in flakes of the Carolina Reaper (the world?s hottest pepper) and wait 5 minutes before drinking anything. I?ve been watching YouTube videos of the challenge to psyche myself up and I came across this gem [https://youtu.be/Zn7bDtEDgbE]. I don?t ?get? ASMR, so maybe it scratches the itch for those that do, but for me, this is just simultaneously disgusting and hilarious. That poor woman, smacking in everyone?s ear, trying to maintain her ?professionalism? whilst undeniably suffering!! This will be us tomorrow; are loud, exhausted strings of profanity consider ASMR material?
 

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
1,050
0
0
Xprimentyl said:
My buddy and I are self-proclaimed ?hot heads? (we like spicy foods and enjoy testing our heat limits,) and tomorrow we?re doing the Paqui One Chip challenge. We have to eat a single tortilla chip coated in flakes of the Carolina Reaper (the world?s hottest pepper) and wait 5 minutes before drinking anything. I?ve been watching YouTube videos of the challenge to psyche myself up and I came across this gem [https://youtu.be/Zn7bDtEDgbE]. I don?t ?get? ASMR, so maybe it scratches the itch for those that do, but for me, this is just simultaneously disgusting and hilarious. That poor woman, smacking in everyone?s ear, trying to maintain her ?professionalism? whilst undeniably suffering!! This will be us tomorrow; are loud, exhausted strings of profanity consider ASMR material?
Ugh. ASMR doesn't do anything for me but the sounds don't usually bother me. All my students, however, love eating ASMR and those ones always get right under my skin. Like a good Canuck, I was told to eat with my mouth shut and not make all that noise when eating so that shit drives me up the wall.
 

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
17,358
1,496
118
I haven't invested myself into it enough to give a conclussive answer, but of the ones I've checked I can't say I like any of them.

I do like white noise though, like a fan or an electric heater, but I don't need an ASMR video for that.
 

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
4,789
1
0
Xprimentyl said:
My buddy and I are self-proclaimed ?hot heads? (we like spicy foods and enjoy testing our heat limits,) and tomorrow we?re doing the Paqui One Chip challenge. We have to eat a single tortilla chip coated in flakes of the Carolina Reaper (the world?s hottest pepper) and wait 5 minutes before drinking anything.
Will we be getting a battle report about this? Detailed tactical rundowns? Casualty numbers, including amount of annoying kids defenestrated in a fit of frothing capsaicin-induced berserker rage?
 

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
May 5, 2020
664
98
33
Country
Malaysia
It's something I never really got into or understood. But there was a period in my life where I'd leave random blacksmithing videos on. And it's just a dude hammering metal. There's also the sharpest knife made out of ridiculous materials which for most part is a lot of knife sharpening sounds. So I guess that's the closest I've gotten to ASMR.
 

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
1,691
296
88
Chimpzy said:
the feeling characterized as a pleasurable tingling sensation felt in the head, scalp, back and other regions of the body
This feeling, I enjoy, however, those videos on the internet don't trigger this for me.

I occasionally get it when someone whispers in my ear, but it's not triggered by the sound of someone whispering, but by the feeling of their breath on my ear.
 

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
4,789
1
0
Wings012 said:
It's something I never really got into or understood. But there was a period in my life where I'd leave random blacksmithing videos on. And it's just a dude hammering metal. There's also the sharpest knife made out of ridiculous materials which for most part is a lot of knife sharpening sounds. So I guess that's the closest I've gotten to ASMR.
I don't really 'understand' it either. ASMR seems one of those things you're either sensitive to, or you're just not. All those ASMR channels are purposefully trying to induce it, but afaik 'intent' isn't actually necessary. There's a YT channel that specialises in videos with 'unintentional' ASMR, and a lot of it is of people doing traditional crafts.
 
Apr 17, 2009
1,751
0
0
Chimpzy said:
Wings012 said:
It's something I never really got into or understood. But there was a period in my life where I'd leave random blacksmithing videos on. And it's just a dude hammering metal. There's also the sharpest knife made out of ridiculous materials which for most part is a lot of knife sharpening sounds. So I guess that's the closest I've gotten to ASMR.
I don't really 'understand' it either. ASMR seems one of those things you're either sensitive to, or you're just not. All those ASMR channels are purposefully trying to induce it, but afaik 'intent' isn't actually necessary. There's a YT channel that specialises in videos with 'unintentional' ASMR, and a lot of it is of people doing traditional crafts.
I was at an opticians a year or so ago getting my prescription updated and a new set of glasses properly fitted, and started getting the ASMR effect when the optician started running through the usual tests. Been seeing opticians for two thirds of my life now and thats the first time thats happened. Something particular in her voice I guess
 

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
3,703
1,750
118
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Gender
Male
Chimpzy said:
Xprimentyl said:
My buddy and I are self-proclaimed ?hot heads? (we like spicy foods and enjoy testing our heat limits,) and tomorrow we?re doing the Paqui One Chip challenge. We have to eat a single tortilla chip coated in flakes of the Carolina Reaper (the world?s hottest pepper) and wait 5 minutes before drinking anything.
Will we be getting a battle report about this? Detailed tactical rundowns? Casualty numbers, including amount of annoying kids defenestrated in a fit of frothing capsaicin-induced berserker rage?
I successfully completed the Paqui One Chip Challenge, but it wasn?t pleasant. Here?s the video footage of my agony [https://youtu.be/EqWZr7OKY-g]; I?m the idiot on the left.

By far and away, that chip was the hottest thing I?ve ever put in my mouth. It made my ears ring, it felt like the bones of my arms and hands were vibrating and my head felt like it wanted to pop. I even got a little dizzy and felt like I could have passed out.
 

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
4,789
1
0
Xprimentyl said:
Chimpzy said:
I successfully completed the Paqui One Chip Challenge, but it wasn?t pleasant. Here?s the video footage of my agony [https://youtu.be/EqWZr7OKY-g]; I?m the idiot on the left.

By far and away, that chip was the hottest thing I?ve ever put in my mouth. It made my ears ring, it felt like the bones of my arms and hands were vibrating and my head felt like it wanted to pop. I even got a little dizzy and felt like I could have passed out.
Majestic! Kudos on beating the challenge tho. Don't think I could.
 

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
3,703
1,750
118
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Gender
Male
Chimpzy said:
Xprimentyl said:
Chimpzy said:
I successfully completed the Paqui One Chip Challenge, but it wasn?t pleasant. Here?s the video footage of my agony [https://youtu.be/EqWZr7OKY-g]; I?m the idiot on the left.

By far and away, that chip was the hottest thing I?ve ever put in my mouth. It made my ears ring, it felt like the bones of my arms and hands were vibrating and my head felt like it wanted to pop. I even got a little dizzy and felt like I could have passed out.
Majestic! Kudos on beating the challenge tho. Don't think I could.
Thanks. I wish I could take more pride in it, but spent the whole time feeling lots of pain and really stupid. But I had lots of support, so nice to know my friends readily support my idiocy. :/