Do You Ever Buy Games Knowing They'll Be Crap?

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Deadly Premonition.[footnote]Though, to it's credit, it was intentionally bad[/footnote]

After reading Destructoid's review, I felt the need to give it a shot.
I fell in love, and it's now one of my favorite games of 2010.

DannibalG36

Mar 29, 2010
Xiorell said:
Well... as the title asks.

With the steam sale on now, I am finding myself looking at games I would normally think "yeah fuck that, looks arse", but actually now thinking "Dude it's less than 5quid give it a go"

One in particular is "Cryostasis"... Normally I'd instantly dismiss it as a no-go game but it's less than 3quid at the moment and I am considering giving it a chance.
There's loads of stuff on there at the moment I am thinking about throwing a bone.
Cryostasis was really good, but in a niche appeal sort of way, a la Metro 2033, which I loved but the Escapist hated (the again, Game Informer loved Metro 2033 as well). It's a methodical, atmospheric shooter that's all about shooting at the right time (reloading takes a while) and wrapping your brain around the story presented. It was worth all the money I paid for it.

I have indeed bought games that looked really, really bad or dated and have indeed stumbled upon some hidden gems. I stumbled across the Stalker and ArmA games this way. However, such a practice is decidedly hit-and-miss. For example, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising was an outright disappointment (I bought it during a Steam sale).

Mastercylinder

Jun 27, 2010
Now a days not really, I tend to be kinda paranoid now so I play demos, read a few reviews before I make my decision (I'm usually late on the bandwagon because of this). Though if something's cheap and I know it'll be good for shits n giggles I get it. Take my last game purchases for example. Went there to start building my 360 library and I went for what I knew would be thoroughly good (Orange Box) but bought a game I knew I really wouldn't like all that much on the side because it was cheap (Dead Space).

Latino Gamer

Feb 27, 2010
Ando3242 said:
I'm kind of OCD about having to have a game's entire series. So, if there is a title in it that pales in comparison to the others for some reason I will still buy it for completeness. Key examples are Devil May Cry 2 and Suikoden IV.
Same here. I just bought Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly even though I've heard it's the worst of the series. It was $7 for a used copy and I wanted it because I have every other Spyro game, so it's worth it for the sake of completion.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Xiorell said:
Well... as the title asks.

With the steam sale on now, I am finding myself looking at games I would normally think "yeah fuck that, looks arse", but actually now thinking "Dude it's less than 5quid give it a go"

One in particular is "Cryostasis"... Normally I'd instantly dismiss it as a no-go game but it's less than 3quid at the moment and I am considering giving it a chance.
There's loads of stuff on there at the moment I am thinking about throwing a bone.

So, do you ever just buy a game fully expecting it to be pretty bad, and why? Hoping for a hiden gem? Simpley bored and need something to do? What games come to mind?
Yeah well Cryostasis is actually a very good game, probably much better than bioshock 2 which is my example of a game i've bought even though I fully expect it to be constructed of donkey poo and twizzle sticks.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Xiorell said:
Ando3242 said:
I'm kind of OCD about having to have a game's entire series. So, if there is a title in it that pales in comparison to the others for some reason I will still buy it for completeness. Key examples are Devil May Cry 2 and Suikoden IV.
Can understand that, I am similar with alot of things... games, movies, books, I am really bad for it with TV shows given how much a season box set can set you back
Yeah I happen to have that particular OCD too! My key examples would be: Silent Hill Homecoming, Halo 2, Prince of Persia Warrior Within, Devil May Cry 2 and almost all of the Harry Potter games! The shame!

OT: I re-bought F.E.A.R. after playing half of it and trading it in because everyone seemed to think it was super scary and I thought I'd missed something. Turns out I hadn't, so yeah I kinda bought that rubbish pile of poo twice!

But as a general rule I don't really have enough money to spend on games I KNOW I won't enjoy.

Camarilla

Jul 17, 2008
I bought one of the Rampage games on the PS2 for £3, because I rented one on the PS1 and thought it was fun. No regrets, it gave me some good hours of amusement.

Also Quantum of Solace for 360, because it was a fiver and I wanted a new FPS. Again, was fun to play through, better value than going to the cinema.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
pantsoffdanceoff said:
Nope, I cancel my pre-order as soon as it even [i/]looks[/i] like it could be bad... I'm so sorry Persona 3 Portable.
What games do you actually play then? I mean it does look like it has some drawbacks, but the ability to play through with a different protagonist seems quite worthwhile. If you're pulling out on P3P, what games actually meet your very high standards?

reggaerae

Jun 24, 2010
Call of Duty World at War.

I felt like I had some sort of missplaced attachment to the series after Cod4. Biggest waste of 40 quid ive ever spent.....

Girl With One Eye

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Jun 2, 2010
I try not to have expectations for games because it can cause disapointment. I didn't know anything about dragon age before I brought it, I only got it because it was on sale. And what a surprise it was! On the other hand I've expected a lot from some games that have turned out to be utter crap (Yes FFXIII I'm looking at YOU!). But in general I think the more you can experience different games the better.

Aur0ra145

Elite Member
May 22, 2009
Sniper Elite, it was $0.99 during the steam christmas sale, so I said what the hell and bought it.

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
I also buy games I only have a faint knowledge about, such as Final Fantasy 13. Easily one of the best games I've played.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
migo said:
pantsoffdanceoff said:
Nope, I cancel my pre-order as soon as it even [i/]looks[/i] like it could be bad... I'm so sorry Persona 3 Portable.
What games do you actually play then? I mean it does look like it has some drawbacks, but the ability to play through with a different protagonist seems quite worthwhile. If you're pulling out on P3P, what games actually meet your very high standards?
Playing as a different character is a great addition, but not when they take out the Anime cutscenes that I so loved in Persona 3, especially the one where Orpheus is summoned. I was going to actually buy a PSP for this game hence why I dropped it far quicker than I would most games. Tons of games meet my standards, Dragon Age did (execept for the fucking Orzrammar quest) the regular Persona 3 and Persona 4 did as well.

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
Need for speed : Undercover, because I wanted to cling to the hope that it might still be good despite what everyone else said.

Turns out, the reviews were right.

:(

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Demon's Souls. I was so sure it'd be hard to the point where I wanted to fling it out of the window, just bought it as a backup for when my other RPGs had ran out. But I was pleasently surprised to find out the difficulty is tough but fair, I'm still messing up all the time but I make progress with each failure and it's a far better game for that feeling of gradual progression. Also it's absolutely gorgeous. But as a console gamer I too do not grasp this "it's only a fiver, I'll give it a go" concept. Although I got Mirror's Edge for that price, another good example but it too is a brilliant return to old time-y platformers.

Edit - Demon's Souls has only been released here for 2 days, I know to all you Americans I'm late to the party but I refuse to import games to support lazy publishers. Also why I've not played Rule of Rose.